They confiscated my safety pins?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
Janice

They confiscated my safety pins?

Coming from LaGuardia to O'Hare on Monday, the ultra-scrupulous check of my bag yielded 2 items that were confiscated: my sewing kit (thread and needles only) and 15 safety pins (wicked handy if the curtains in your hotel don't meet in the middle, or if you want to hang a bunch of things from hangers to dry) I'm stunned - has anybody else had anything quite so small and harmless confiscated? I thought safety pins were, by definition, safe...

Jan 23rd, 2002, 03:01 PM
Holly

And one would think it would be difficult to strangle someone with a piece of thread ...

Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Howard

I, for one, am delighted to read that security was so thorough!

Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:52 PM
ed

I recently heard that an idiot security worker in California, cut off a charm on a woman's charm bracelet because it was a gun. Now come on...

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:02 PM
Sara

Over the holidays I had a hair barrett consifcated...because it could be pulled apart and used as a weapon.
Well, what couldn't?
I'm all for airline safety but you have to wonder about some of these guys.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:14 PM
Dr. Bob

Hi there Janice,

Dr. Bob recommends "Depends" rather than saftey pins and -------.

We all know things are going to be tougher. Be ready for it and quit sniveling.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:14 PM
anamerican

Janice; They confiscated my $40 tweezers which I almost can't live without and my husband's nose hair scissors that have a completely blunt point on them. But safety pins and a sewing kit is even more absurd. I don't really call that thorough. It feels more like a personal violation. I find some of these very fringe looking security people a bit offensive. I mean, who are they? Most of them look to me like they need to be frisked. Of course, it is best to err on being overly careful but then it feels like our personal rights are being impinged on. My husband's shoes were checked five times at the same security check in Dallas. They would say: You can put your shoes back on and then once again would ask him to take them off. I thought he would implode. The good news is that we made it to Europe and back safely. Perhaps, that's all that matters.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:30 PM
Fed Up with Stupidity

Why are all of you complaining? Why don't you just pack these items in your luggage and not carry them on the plane? Do you really need the safety pins on the plane, since you said they were to be used to keep curtains and drapes shut? Does the husband need to trim his nose hairs on the plane? Are you going to pluck your eyebrows on the flight?

At least be happy that someone is checking. If you don't like that your freedom has been diminished for safety, and you really need to have these items by your side, then drive instead of fly. And for those of you that think that the Security is inept or looks corrupt, then why aren't you applying for security jobs at the airports? Stop complaining.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:38 PM
xxx

If you need a pair of $40 tweezers then your problem isn't with Security. You need electrolysis, waxing or an Epilady.

If you haven't figured it out yet, all of these items are sharp. They can be used as a weapon. You would all be the first to complain if you were poked or stabbed with one of these things.

And when did "They confiscated my safety pins?" become a question. Sounds like a declarative sentence.

The more I read threads like this, the more angry I get, and the more I believe that you people are either so dense or naive. When did the Fodors board get hijacked by idiots complaining that their safety pins, et al were taken away.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:46 PM
Babs

Maybe you just looked like a deranged person. Who knows.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Howard

First, the complaint was not enough security....now, they say that there's too much security. Well, I guess people have to complain about something.
And please, let's not make this a civil rights issue!

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:27 PM
xxxxxxx

Obviously Janice didn't think that safety pins would have been a problem or she would have packed them. Same with the people who had their tweezers, etc. in their carry-on. And xxx, the Fodors board got hijacked by idiots when you came on board. Get a life, b.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:57 PM
L

I am wondering if plastic cup and plastic knives are still on planes. These too can make weapons.

Everyone has said everything else I wanted to say.

Jan 24th, 2002, 03:42 AM
lola

My cousin had a golf tee confiscated from him at a California Airport. I guess it had sentimental value b/c it was given to him from some big name pro golfer. Anyway, security confiscated it.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Mr Ed

What about car keys on a key chain? I know that the key for my Toyota is long and think and comes sort of a point. In the eyes of some that could be used as weapon, as can many things. Seems that a long key would be more lethal than a safety pin if someone was inclined to jab it into your neck or elsewhere. So, what should one do with the car keys? If you pack them in your checked bags and they get lost then you have no way to use your car upon your return. If you have them in pocket or in carry on and they are taken away you are in same position. So, I guess no more self drive and self parking - we must all take limos or cabs to airport from now on.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:49 AM
katja

Well, they conficated my PLASTIC nail file on the Miami airport.. I have to admit that it had kind of a sharp tip on one end, but I still could not believe it. And this happened in the beginning of October, on the first day that they had armed guards in the Miami airport. I just wonder whether I could have done more damage with that little piece of plastic than with the heavy duty-free whisky (glass) bottle I bought after the security check..

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:03 AM
s.fowler

I only hope that the FAA, airports and airlines are being more sophisticated behind the scenes than at the checkpoints. Because if I were a terrorist I'd be laughing my head off at the measures that are publicly visible. Any terrorist [as we learned with Richard Reid] has moved on to the next step. The secret is to stay AHEAD of them, which given our complacency up until now isn't going to be easy.

Don't get me wrong -- I am FOR good solid professional and ahead of the game security -- I *am* tired of the unimaginative and clueless enforcement -- I haven't "lost" anything at security because I'm not carrying anything questionable on these days [actually I'm enjoying checking and not schlepping a rollon all over creation]-- so this isn't "sour grapes" -- but if all the energy is on plastic nail files -- well then we have got a BIG problem....