Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

There and Back Again: Where to stop on the way to Provence from Paris/CDG and back?

Search

There and Back Again: Where to stop on the way to Provence from Paris/CDG and back?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Day everyone. This board has been invaluable to my wife and I for our previous trips to Europe and now it is time to turn to you all again? My wife and I will be spending two weeks in Provence in early July. We have previously spent a couple of days each in Gordes and Nice an some time in Paris, but we are hoping to more fully explore Provence this time.
Due to availability with our airmiles, we are flying into Paris/CDG. With our arrival time we will be arriving at CDG at about 3:00 and then renting our car there to get started directly to Provence.
So, here are the questions:

1. On the first day we are hoping to just drive 2 or 3 hours...what is a nice town to stop in for the night?

2. Any estimate on driving time from CDG to Aix approximately?

3. Any thoughts on how best to spend our 13 nights? We definitely want to spend a few nights in Aix, and it sounds like St. Remy is a good base for another few nights. Another beautiful smal village to stay for maybe 3 nights? Bonnieux, Rousillon, and Joucas seem to be on this board quite a bit.
We enjoy towns where we can put our own dinners together from the local butcher, baker, etc.

4. Finally, where to stay on the way back? We fly out of CDG at 1:30 so we will have to set out out the day before. Should this be a one night stop or is there a memorable place on the way back that would make a good base for a couple of nights yet allow us to drive in less than 4 hours to the airport the day we leave?

Lots of questions I know....I am thinking it would make sense to see Aix first, but I am still trying to figure out where to after that?

Thanks as usual everyone...I will continue searching the board to look at places to stay.
cheers,
CC
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Several times on the way back from Provence, we have stayed at Leslie Caron's Hotel "La Lucarne aux Chouettes." in Villeneuve-Sur-Yonne. A delightful spot overlooking the quai.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to take the TGV directly to Avignon when you land and pick up your car there?

If you do drive, two possible stops in lovely towns are Troyes and Auxerre.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Some good tips already..thanks! I will look forward to hearing some more!

StCirq, unfortunately our arrival time does not coincide with the trains it seems...that, and it seems easier to pick up an automatic (wish I could drive a manual!) at CDG rather than anywhere else. I have read your valuable advice StCirq throughout the board...any thoughts on other smaller cities to base ourselves in during our visit?
CC
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:36 AM

..I will be travelling to Provence in March. I am "training it" as I wish to stay in Paris with friends for a few days. Initially I was going to drive. I looked at mapquest and not only were there good directions, but estimated times for each leg of the trip were available. I noticed that your plane leaves a 1:30 pm; in today's world that means being at the airport at 10:30. With dealing with traffic and car rental drop off, do you want to risk spending the night before your flight away from Paris or the airport? I know I am parinoid but I have waved goodbye to my scheduled flight from the tarmac, and it was not one of life's happy moments.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

We are early risers, so we will chance the drive to Paris CDG the day of the flight. Auxerre looks like a good stop on the way to Aix..any thoughts about a stop on the way back? Should it be Troyes or Villeneuve-Sur Yonne?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM

A few years back we flew into CDG and picked up a car to drive to Arles-wow do I wish we had taken the train to Avignon and picked up the car there. We were exhausted and found the roads into and out of Avignon rather confusing when exhausted. I agree with the suggestion to TGV it and pick up your car in Aix. If you do drive, it was about 5.5 hours to Arles and Aix is further east.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There are those of us who enjoy the long rides because we like the countryside and only take the autoroute when we are in a hurry to get an appointment. We don't find the distances as bad as some think and we do this at least once a year.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM

cinelchanta, I agree, I love the country roads. I'm just thinking that doing this right after an 8 hour flight might be a bit trying.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM

For what it's worth Capt, I just checked the SNCF site, and there appear to be at least three trains daily leaving CDG around 5 pm, arriving Avignon around 8. Of course, I don't know the dates of your travel, so this may not work for you.

Why not give Lyon a try on the way back for a night or two? You'll certainly eat well there!

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Capt.
Just adding my $0.02 worth regarding TVG to Avignon. We did this in Oct. 2002 and rented car at the station. The train ride was very relaxing and quick. Especially after such a long flight. Driving through Provence was very easy. Our flight left CDG at3:00pm. We based in Arles, left at 6:00AM dropped car off at train station. TVG left @7:30am arrived at CDG @11:45AM and had plenty of time to check-in, go through security and even shop at the duty free shop. The benefit of taking the TVG is that you don't have to leave terminal (2) and before you know it your transported to a much more relaxing driving environment and of course the reverse on your return. To each his own!
JoeG
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM
sandi

If you can coordinate your flight arrival into CDG with a TGV to Avignon, that would be my choice. Driving after a long flight from the States (and we don't know whether you're flying from the East Coast or West Coast) can be hairy.

However, if you make a TGV at around 5pm you won't arrive Avignon till 8pm and you have to ask yourself if you want to drive in the dark to your first hotel base. You might want to consider spending the night in Avignon, tour the town the next day, and later that afternoon pickup your car and drive to St. Remy or Luberon town or even Arles, whichever you choose as a base for a few days.

You can actually base yourself somewhere in the St. Remy area for most of the time and do day trips from there. Then for the last three days, drive to Aix where you can stay, tour in and around, and return your car at Aix. At that point get on the TGV early the day of departure back to CDG.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM
northerngirl

Twice now my husband and I have jumped from the plane into a car and driven to distant parts of France. After our last trip through the middle, and back again, we've decided to take the train when we go to Provence. Our impression was that the scenery in this part of France was far less than fantastic. By the time we got to a region with nicer scenery, we were too tired to really enjoy the experience. With that said, the roads off the autoroute were much nicer-although they are obviously much slower-and we were able to make it to Bourges for an enjoyable evening in a small town before heading off the next morning.

If you haven't seen Fountainbleau or Vaux le Vicomte (sp?), then perhaps somewhere close to these places outside of Paris would be nice for your trip back. I would think that you could easily leave your car in Melun and train to CDG the day you leave, unless of course, you really need to return it to the airport. Good luck!

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Continued thank yous everyone for your advice..I double checked the trains for the day we arrive, a Saturday, and none come up unfortunately to take us to Avignon.... We are ok with the driving option though...
St. Cirq...is Lyon too far to spend away the night before we fly out?
I will continue to check for any further suggestions everyone..thank you!!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:08 PM

I would second St. Cirq's suggestion to stop off at Lyon for the night. I have passed through Lyon many times but just last month I stayed there for a day and a night for the first time. Had a great time. Lyon has much to offer including great restaurants and a very nice old town area and Roman ruins. I would recommend using the Lyon Perrache station rather than Lyon Part Dieu as it is closer to the most popular sights and the old town. The TGV makes the trip Lyon to Paris in just under 2 hours.

Larry J
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Capt. Canuck,
I think you might like staying in upper Burgundy near the pottery town of Gien at a very nice hotel: the Auberge des Templiers, in Les Bezards. It's a member of the Relais et Chateaux group and has charming rooms and a very good dining room. The drive from CDG would be between 2 and 3 hours.

The hotel is set in nice grounds, with a pool and tennis courts, but we liked best the lawn swings, a great way to unwind.

On your return day, I think you would do best not to drive but to take the TGV from Aix or Avignon directly to CDG. Alternatively, you could fly from Marseille. Driving straight through from Aix would make for a very long day; the trip from Paris to Marseille is a good 8 hours by car and autoroute.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 08:43 PM

I forgot to ask the Captain whether he has been reading The Hobbit lately.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Ha Ha! gt; Not recently Underhill..but I am still pumped by my viewing of the Return of the King, hence my subject header!
Beginning to look into taking the TGV back to CDG from Avignon, as it looks like it might be a possibility with Europcar to get my automatic at CDG and then return and drop at Avignon.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:40 AM
sandi

We had no problem getting an automatic car at Marseilles. Automatics are more readily available at the airports, but limited, if at all available, in towns.

While our first stop was to be Aix we thought maybe to pick up the car there instead of at the airport, and it was claimed they couldn't provide a small car, however, if we wanted an automatic Mercedes they'd have no problem providing. We declined.

However, a friend who travels every year via TGV to Avignon, always manages to get an automatic there and it isn't a Mercedes, rather he has the option for small or mid-size car. So they are available, if you request ahead of time.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Sandi:

Capt is not going to have a problem navigating in the car at 8 pm in July - it will be light until well past 10 pm!

Capt:

Personally, I wouldn't plan to get to CDG from Lyon on that last day. Ditch the car in Lyon and take the train to CDG or drive to someplace closer to the airport.

Bonne route!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -