Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thello train bookings (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thello-train-bookings-952167/)

bendigo Sep 30th, 2012 02:58 AM

Thello train bookings

Hi,

Have been waiting to book for our family on the Paris - Venice night train in mid-December.

Bookings are only currently available to 7th December.

https://www.thello.com/

Despite indications that should be able to book 90 days in advance, the website has previously been indicating that the next lot of dates would be available from mid-October - it is now indicating the the date we want (need!!) will now be available at the end of October.

I presume this is something to do with the winter schedule applying from early December, but it's starting to make me a little nervous - there are 5 of us travelling, so we really need a courchette (6 beds) to ourselves - certainly don't want the family split up all over the train!

I guess this means I need to be checking regularly and ready to grab tix as soon as they are available.

The alternative is to grab some easyjet tix, and organise an extra night of accommodation in Venice.

Does anyone have experience with Thello and know if this is "normal" or should I be starting to seriously look at my alternatives?

Thanks,

Rob

mjdh1957 Sep 30th, 2012 04:43 AM

Well, you're unlikely to get all six seats to yourself unless you pay for six tickets. There is every chance that you will have someone else in your compartment, as in my experience these trains are always busy, especially with Italian migrant workers returning home for holidays.

And yes, the European rail timetables will be appearing sometime in October - for instance, see the first news item on
http://seat61.com/news.htm#.UGg-YEKIKHc

Some years the timetables are not published until later.

bendigo Sep 30th, 2012 04:52 AM

Thanks.

I'm happy to pay for 6 tix - although I note that the booking form asks for passport numbers, etc. I can book it in our pet dog's name (although she will not be travelling), but she doesn't have a passport.

My major concern is that I at least want to get the five of us who are travelling all in the one compartment, rather than scattered across the train in various compartments because I miss the start of the booking period window.

mjdh1957 Sep 30th, 2012 06:24 AM

Booking five spaces shouldn't be a problem as long as you book early enough, so just keep looking at the Thello website until the date shows up, and then book it straight away.

Man_in_seat_61 Sep 30th, 2012 09:00 AM

Thello bookings for dates after the timetable change on 9 December 'should' open from 11 October.

No one else can book till bookings open so no problem.

mjdh1957 Sep 30th, 2012 09:25 AM

In some years, the 'should' date is overly optimistic....

willowjane Sep 30th, 2012 10:55 AM

Great advice! I am reading everything I can about the trains for our trip next summer. We are going to try train travel for the first time!

mjdh1957 Sep 30th, 2012 01:09 PM

Another thing to bear in mind is that this is by no means a 'luxury' option, especially in a six-berth couchette, especially if you end up with an extra passenger in your compartment.

I'd be inclined to splash out on a three- plus a two-berth sleeper compartment to make it a bit less cramped. At least then you might have more chance of sleeping.

That might also make flying plus an extra night in a hotel the budget option.

bendigo Sep 30th, 2012 01:51 PM

My thinking is that the train journey will be part of our adventure - racing across Europe at 180kmh in the middle of the night, then the sense of arrival as we exit Santa Lucia stazione with the Grand Canal opening up before us!

We should have got used to uncomfortable sleeping by then anyway - a 3.30am departure from Australia, with brief stops in Kuala Lumpur and Dubai, and arriving at Heathrow some 26 -27 or so hours after leaving Oz.

bendigo Oct 19th, 2012 04:05 PM

From the Thello website today - I presume the Paris to Venice train will open at the same time.

(I love Google Translate - my French translations would be lost without it!)

Le 30 octobre, nous procédons à l'ouverture des ventes pour toutes vos réservations sur la nouvelle ligne Paris - Rome à partir du 9 décembre prochain.

Cette nouvelle ligne desservira Bologne, Florence et Rome à partir de Paris Gare de Lyon et de Dijon.

On October 30, we proceed to the opening of sales for all your reservations on the new Paris - Rome from 9 December.

This new line will serve Bologna, Florence and Rome from Paris Gare de Lyon and Dijon.

kybourbon Oct 19th, 2012 05:50 PM

I would keep checking it often as it may go online sooner.

bendigo Oct 30th, 2012 03:29 AM

Thello bookings have just opened for the Paris - Venice overnight service (and our tix are booked!).
Presume they are also now open for the new Paris - Rome overnight service.