Reload this Page >

Theft in French hotels - what the law says

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 04:31 AM
Florence

For those infortunates who get things stolen in their hotel rooms, car in a parking hotel or hotel safe: <BR> <BR>According to French law (Article 1952 of Code Civil), the hotel owner is responsible for the goods you bring in his hotel, for an unlimited amount if you have deposited them directly in their hands (in the hotel safe, or at the desk against a receipt) (article 1953), but for no more than 100 times the amount of the room rate if it was just left in the room, unless you can prove negligence on their part (1953 again). This is valid even if the owner has displayed a notice refusing responsability. <BR> <BR>It is necessary to put a complaint to the police. <BR> <BR>You should write a registered letter to the hotel mentionning articles 1952 to 1954 of Code Civil and asking for compensation. <BR> <BR>informations taken (in French so please forgive the poor translation) from: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/w.creation/v...merce/vol.html <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:46 AM
elvira

Thank you, Florence, the information has been printed! I've never been a victim of hotel theft, but forewarned is forearmed. <BR> <BR>No apologies for your translation; you would hate to see my translation of this message into French!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 03:16 PM
Florence

I hope you'll never have a use for this information. Thanks to you for your entertaining writing on Paris, the city I was born into. My mom says hello too.