Theatre recommendations in greater (west) london with easy parking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Europe later this year, and will be spending the last week or so in England, visiting my family (particularly my grandparents). I don't see them very often as I live in Sydney, so I wanted to arrange a nice day/evening out. I know they like to go to musicals or the theatre. The only problem is my grandfather can't walk very far, so I was thinking of extending my hire car time and driving them directly (rather than public transport).
Could anyone recommend such a theatre, that has easy access by car/parking? Somewhere west of london would be good as my grandparents live in Southall, Middlesex.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd look at the Richmond Theatre. It doesn't have its own car park but there are a couple of lots very nearby.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I would work the other way around... Find out what theatres/musicals you and your family want to see, then just drop off your grandfather in front of the theatre (or arrange a car service to drop everyone off).
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM

West end theaters were built back when they were still riding carriages... I'd suggest you choose a show, (try Broadwaybox.com/london for discounts) then park somewhere and use public transportation.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:14 AM

And to drive into Central London you may have to pay the $15 or so per day Congestion Charge, though maybe at night this is not charged - but not a great area to drive in, talking of West End theatre district. I'd take a cab from a train station, etc.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:32 AM

As you've put it, forget it.

Suburban theatre is - well suburban. The only place worth going to is the West End. Which is smack in the centre of the world's greatest city, and - just as in the handful of other real cities - isn't geared to driving cars up to. Richmond is preposterous: it's difficult to get to and park in, and its theatre's third rate.

Your choices are:
- accept the complications of driving up to a West End theatre, and drop him off before you find somewhere to park. Not difficult (we do it every fortnight or so), and not that much tougher than in central Sydney. But allow around 30 mins to find a space, or
- book a minicab, or
- get a train to and from Pasddington, the a taxi
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies!
I guess westend theatre would be much better than in the suburbs so I do agree that's the better option.

I like the idea of getting a train out to paddington station - just looked up the transport direct website, and it says it's a 15mins direct journey from southall station which suits perfectly.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much time it would take to get a taxi from paddington station to the westend theatres? And approximate cost?
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:54 PM

>>>>>>
The only place worth going to is the West End.
>>>>>>

unfortunately too many tourists have this mentality. obviously it depends on the show but the best place to consistently see great theatre is the national theatre...and it's a modern theatre with its own car park, lifts, etc. it contains 3 theatres in the one facility. it's very accessible for wheelchairs, etc. i don't go there for the accessibility or the parking...i go there because the quality of the theatre is top rate. the west end is suffering from declining business and gimmicks (eg hollywood actors who can't do theatre, etc) meant to bring in the tourists and the saga buses from the cotswolds.

you mention 'musicals or the theatre'...you should note that NT is not the place for musicals but from your wording i assume they are open to more than musicals.

the fee for parking is only £6.50 and the car park is directly in the basement....very minimal walking needed...and it's a doddle to drive to compared to the west end.

www.nationaltheatre.org.uk

also look at what's on at the barbican...another modern facility with parking that also does theatre (although it is a broader performing arts centre).

i'm baffled that some believe that it's a choice between the west end or the suburbs.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:56 PM

to clarify...NT does do musicals but not the 'big' musicals.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:35 AM

What's a saga bus?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 04:49 AM

>>>>>>
What's a saga bus?
>>>>>>

saga is the organisation that services pensioners. they do package holidays that include corny entertainment and cafeteria food. usually to places like costa and algarve.

i don't think they run buses from the cotswolds to london for theatre so i was taking a bit of licence. perhaps i meant the 'saga crowd'. anyway, there a lot of pensioner bus trips to the west end.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I'd agree that The National does some of the best theatre in London, and it has the bonus of easy access and parking.

But I'm amazed as this is the first time I've ever seen someone wanting to chose a play by the quality of the parking. Isn't that sort of like looking for a restaurant, not for the food, service, or atmosphere, but for the quality of their restrooms?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The West End, Barbican, National, etc. can all be managed one way or another. But don't dismiss the Richmond out of hand. It does stages mostly high quality productions, and often w/ "name" stars.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Some West End plays tour the provinces before their West End run. One possibiliuty for you might be to look at what's on at the Theatre Royal, Windsor, when you're in the UK: www.theatreroyalwindsor.co.uk
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions of the national theatre & the Theatre royal at windsor - i will check them out.

NeoPatrick - I'm not "choosing a play by the quality of the parking" as you put it.
I don't know london, so that's why i'm asking for suggestions of venues that might be easier to get to for my grandparents. If there's something good playing there that I think they'll like, then great, otherwise I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM

don't worry sydnik most of us understood what you were after. it's more like choosing a restaurant and considering its convenience (something people do every day), rather than choosing a restaurant for its toilets...and certainly convenience is something to consider when you are with someone that has mobility problems.

unfortunately sometimes people make remarks here just for their own amusement rather than to be helpful.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM

"unfortunately sometimes people make remarks here just for their own amusement rather than to be helpful."

Glad to see your mirror's working tonight.

And not to beat a dead horse, but I didn't see the request for great or quality theatre in the question "Could anyone recommend such a theatre, that has easy access by car/parking?"
It really did seem to be more about the facility than the play. Otherwise I would have expected a request about what good play to see and how to get there.

But I stand by the agreement that the National offers a great choice, and with their semi-repertory and three theatres, there tends to be a good choice of shows as well. The underground parking on site is a great bonus.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM

"unfortunately sometimes people make remarks here just for their own amusement rather than to be helpful."

Glad to see your mirror's working tonight. and "rather than be helpful" you say. You mean like all the wonderful helpful suggestions you made here, walkinaround? Hmmm. They must have gotten deleted from my computer. What was the helpful nature of your entire post?

And not to beat a dead horse, but I didn't see the request for great or quality theatre in the question "Could anyone recommend such a theatre, that has easy access by car/parking?"
It really did seem to be more about the facility than the play. Otherwise I would have expected a request about what good play to see and how to get there.

But I stand by the agreement that the National offers a great choice, and with their semi-repertory and three theatres, there tends to be a good choice of shows as well. The underground parking on site is a great bonus.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Sorry if my posted question wasn't as 'specific' as you would have liked NeoPatrick.
I was working on the assumption that it is in most people's nature to recommend something they've found good rather than bad.
Not that I should be nit-picking - that's your job, isn't it?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:51 AM

Well, I guess you'll call this nit-picking as well, but you still haven't told us anything about the type of theatrical evening you are looking for. Do you want a big splashy musical? A Shakespeare? A British comedy or farce? Something more modern and cutting edge? Or how about an opera or ballet? It's kind of hard to recommend a play for you based on just the parking. But if you ARE interested in the play itself, some of us would be HAPPY to help you -- you just aren't giving us any clues.

And yes, I'd also have been "nit-picking" if you asked for a restaurant with convenient parking without telling us a price range, type of food or anything else about the restaurant itself.

I'm sorry asking for more details offended you and you call that "nit-picking". Your assumption that most people would recommend something they found good, does not eliminate a single theatre from the mix. Someone always finds everything "good". The real question is what kind of show are YOU looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -