Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Theater in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/theater-in-london-15093/)

Traci Jun 20th, 1997 06:35 PM

Theater in London

Will be in London 7/31 - 8/3, wondering if we are better off purchasing theater tickets before we go or going to 1/2 price both at Leicester Square? Also, would like recommendation on best show to see as we only have one night for theater (Me & Mom, leaving the boys at home to travel, see & shop)Thanks.

Tricia Jun 22nd, 1997 05:19 PM

Hi, can't answer your question specifically, but if you scan down the page you will see a heading"London in a Day" with 19 responses. In the responses are other questions about the theater and the phone numbers and other things pertinent to theater are given. Hope this helps!

Tricia Jun 22nd, 1997 05:21 PM

Hi, can't answer your question specifically, but if you scan down the page you will see a heading"London in a Day" with 19 responses. In the responses are other questions about the theater and the phone numbers and other things pertinent to theater are given. Hope this helps!

Tricia Jun 22nd, 1997 05:22 PM

Tricia Jun 22nd, 1997 05:22 PM

Tricia Jun 22nd, 1997 05:24 PM

Mavis Jun 23rd, 1997 10:37 AM

Hi Traci. It usually isn't necessary to purchase ahead of time, unless there is a specific show you want to see and you know it's popular. Sometimes your hotel will book for you - I stay at the Barry House Hotel (they have a web page) and they will book a ticket for you with your Visa and only charge l pound. The Half Price ticket booth is okay, but not tremendous. What they usually get are the high-priced tickets, so you usually end up paying the same amount as you were planning, but have a better seat - so you don't really save cash, depends on how close you want to be. We normally just take the tube to the theatre in the afternoon before the show and pick up a ticket. (There's also a web page with london shows.) My recommendations: if you like mysteries 'The Mousetrap' and 'An Inspector Calls' are great. I really enjoyed 'Miss Saigon' and of course the biggies are still there: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats (which I did not enjoy). I've heard Oliver is very good. (The web page also has reviews). Enjoy yourself - and remember you have to pay for a program, you can order a drink ahead of time for the intermission, and the English are normally not that demonstrative at their plays (unlike New York). Have fun.

mark Jun 24th, 1997 02:24 PM

If you do not like the big,splashy, musicals and you wan't to see Theatre, you are in luck. Drama and good English comedy do NOT sell out and it is generally easy to see something on the 1/2 price circuit. I would recommend seeing what is on at the National Theatre across the Thames and we did see ART, a wonderful play a few months back. Also look in TIME OUT for some of the non West End independant productions