Search

Theater Help for London in February

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theater Help for London in February

Hello,

My mother and I are coming to London in February. I live in Manhattan and go to a lot of Broadway shows here. My first question is are there any websites that sell discount tickets? I'm not too interested in going to the TKTS booth as it is a short visit and I don't want to waste the time.

My second question is are there any shows that you would highly recommend seeing? I'm finding some overlap to what is, or will be playing here in NYC. I was thinking of Blood Brothers and maybe Guys and Dolls? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rachel
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:56 AM

The hottest ticket in town seems to be Billy Elliot. It was a nice musical but warning it has a lot of four letter words spoken by 11 year old boys, a difficult to understand Northern England accent but the singing and dancing of the pre adolescent stars, wow....it will probably never get to Broadway as there is a great deal in the show that will only be clear to Brits (you know the anti Margaret Thatcher stuff)..

Mary Poppins is nice also...it won't hit Broadway for a while.....completely different from the movie of the same name with many of the same songs with somewhat altered lyrics....

Unlike its counterpart in NYC, queues at TKTS rarely take as long as 20 minutes so it's not a big deal to make a detour there for discount tickets.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Blood Brothers is ALWAYS available at TKTS as are MANY other shows. Except right at opening and during the mid-day/lunch hour period you will almost never wait in line more than 5 or 6 minutes (summer is a different matter). Heck, I dither longer than that about choosing which show I want from the available list. Especially in Feb lines will be short. Just don't go right when they open - people think they must get there early to get the best seats (not true) so there is often a queue.

New seats are released all day long so you could even go in the late afternoon and have a good choice. And for war horses like Blood Brothers you won't have any problem at all.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like Billy Elliot is sold out while we are there (Feb. 16-22). Too bad! Any other recomendations? Is Mary Poppins something that should be booked ahead of time if we decide on it?

That is wonderful that your TKTS booth moves so quickly. Here the normal wait is an hour or more. I've become addicted to broadwaybox.com for discount tickets.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
P_M

flagging
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:53 PM

Mary Poppins will not be found at TKTS so if you want to see it, while it is not an automatic sell out anymore, you ought to book in advance but I'm pretty sure that except for Friday and Saturdays, you can go to the box office and pick up tickets upon arrival.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
P_M

Thanks xyz, that's the info I was hoping to get when I flagged this thread. I always loved Mary Poppins, so it's on my list of shows to see when I'm there in April.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM

We are going in February, and we are looking into seeing
A Man for all Seasons
Night of the Inguana
Sunday in the Park with George
we are going to see if we can pick up some tickets for Billy Elliot at the theater[people returning tickets ect.]

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM

You should check out a promotion called "Get into London Theatre."There are lots of discounted seats available for Feb.They had Mary Poppins tickets for 30GBP.
Link;
http://www.officiallondontheatre.co....olondontheatre
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM

Mary Poppins is great and more "adult" than the movie. I think both you and your mother would enjoy it.

Have a great time,

Mary
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:21 PM

I'd skip Blood Brothers. It's one of the worst things I've ever seen.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM

Try www.whatsonstage.com for their specials. We got tickets for A Man for All Seasons for 25 GBP in the Stalls with no handling charge. There are other shows on sale also. We're going in March.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM

We saw Mary Poppins in October and Blood Brothers several years ago. I thought both were great. Blood Brothers stuck in my mind more than anything else I've ever seen.

If Mary Stuart is still on, a friend recommended it highly; but we ran out of time and didn't see it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM

I'm also going to London to visit my sister, I'm going Feb 2-6. I checked out the Getintolondontheater site, great prices indeed! I personally love ABBA music, but can anybody tell me if Mamma Mia is worth seeing? Otherwise I'd perhaps take Mary Poppins or Billy Elliot.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM

Hi Rae181

Try lastminute.com to see what's available for the dates you are in town. I've used this in the past. Easy online booking with credit card, then pick up tickets at the theatre box office 30 minutes or so before curtain up. They have great deals, some with show & pre theatre dinner included
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you love ABBA music, you really should see Mamma Mia. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM

If you like ABBA, you will most likely enjoy Mamma Mia, although the story line is a bit thin and just an excuse for the songs....Mamma Mia is never available at TKTS, but is a fairly easy ticket during the week directly at the theatre and is only a block away from TKTS so you can combine picking up tickets for a performance of Mamma Mia with a visit to TKTS...matinee day for Mamma Mia is Friday but at 1700 which means you can't combine a thursday matinee with a Thursday evening performance as is true with many other shows.

February is a holiday week and many Americans, although not as many as summer, are visiting London at that time as are many British school groups so you might find difficulty in using some of the discount places suggested, not that you shouldn't try.

Be careful, BTW, with Mamma Mia. TKTS does carry tickets but they are full price and TKTS tags on a £2.50 charge although to their credit, most of the clerks there will tell you that before selling you a ticket and direct you to the theatre, a short block away.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM

When in February is the holiday week? Thanks PJ
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM

Feb holiday week varies. Either week beginning 13th or 20th
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM

pjsparlor,

Are you just "looking into seeeing" or do you already have tickets??

DW and son were in London two weeks ago and tried to get tickets for both <i>A Man for all Seasons</i> and <i>Sunday in the Park with George</i> right after they checked into hotel. Both were sold out for the 5 days they were there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -