The Zugspritze or Partnachklamm Gorge??

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Zugspritze or Partnachklamm Gorge??

If I were to do of these two trips in Garmisch, which would anyone recommend? Both got good reviews in my book and I'll only have time to do one.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 10:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd choose the Zugspitz - spectacular! Germany's highest mountain - the views are just incredible.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:56 AM
Peep

Only go up the Zugspitze if it's a clear day! Otherwise you're up in the clouds and can't see the great views. Another clear day option is to skip the Zugspitze and go up the Alpspitze instead. It's cheaper and faster but not quite as high. You can get to the cable car station on the Zugspitze train. If the weather is mucky, go to Partnachklamm. It's about a 15 minute walk from the ski station (or take a horse drawn carriage), then you can walk through and back to the start in another 30 minutes. I love Partnachklamm! It's really cool.

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:57 AM

I visited the Zugspitze, and it was incredible. I've been to Europe several times, and the trip to Zugspitze is still one of my best memories. I was very lucky, in that the weather was good.

I've heard that Zugspitze is clouded much of the year. Check the weather the morning you go. Keep in mind that the weather at the bottom of the mountain is not necessarily the same as weather at the top. It can be beautiful at the bottom, but clouded at the top.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:21 AM

We ended up doing both in one afternoon. It was great going to the top of the Zug, however if it is cloudy the view is limited. It didn't take long to do the gorge. We took the lift one way to the top and then walked down...a very nice hike. The gorge is amazing. You can do that in maybe 2 hours. How many hours will you have available.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I won't really even have a full day. I'll be driving from Salzburg that morning. So I hope to get there by 11 AM. And if I have time I also want to explore Mittenwald that day. That's why I only wanted to pick one of the two. The next day I head to Fussen and continue West.