The World Cup & France - What's it like?

Jun 14th, 1998, 05:24 AM
Fiona

The World Cup & France - What's it like?

Hi. I will be traveling to Lyon and Paris during the World Cup - What is it like? Are the cities crowded? Can you get to see the sights? What is the atmosphere like? Thanks for any information that you can give me.
Fiona

Jun 15th, 1998, 04:15 AM
francesca

I live in Paris. There do seem to be an awful lot of people, but then it's tourist season. So far, there hasn't been any unpleasantness regarding football fans, which is surprising when you consider the ticket scandal recently uncovered. Since it's already the height of tourist season in France, I would reserve *everything* and double check your hotel/car reservations before you leave, even for stuff outside the main cities: we tried to book a B&B for the weekend in Champagne and had to call quite a few places to find a room. Thankfully, the train and air strikes are over. The World Cup has brought all kinds of interesting people to town and has created an electric atmosphere with lots of signing in the streets, funny costumes and head dresses, etc. Too bad I have to work!
Have a great trip.

Jun 15th, 1998, 08:09 AM
Fiona

Thank you so much for your advice - I am glad to hear that there has been no unpleasant behavior and I hope that it stays that way for my visit!! I will definitely confirm my bookings before I leave for Paris. Thanks again. Fiona

Jun 15th, 1998, 02:31 PM
Carol

If I were you I would watch CNN before going to the world cup. But do enjoy Europe

Jun 16th, 1998, 07:40 AM
ilisa

Yesterday, there was rioting in Marseille after England beat Tunisia in the World Cup (started by some English fans). They also rioted the day before. So, just be careful if you are going to be at a venue where England is playing since the hooligans are present. However, this is not indicative of all the English fans or of the World Cup fans in general. I attended all the World Cup games in Washington in 1994, and the fans who flew in from overseas were wonderful. They were just out to have a good time. You will find the same thing in France. The atmosphere is great. Have fun!