Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The "What to Wear Question": Summer in Turkey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-what-to-wear-question-summer-in-turkey-435149/)

Woyzeck May 24th, 2004 04:46 PM

The "What to Wear Question": Summer in Turkey

I'm looking forward to my summer adventures in Turkey (Istanbul, the Agean/Med. Coast, Inland [capadoccia/ankara]). I already know that I'll be shocked by the heat. My question is, how should one dress in order to beat the heat, while at the same time respecting the local customs and culture.

We are a 30-something (normal weight) American couple. Should we err on the side of conservative dress and risk being a tad hot? Or should we ignore trying to "fit in" and dress down to beat the heat?

Any opinions?

PS. I know this post will invite a few snickers. Please limit yourselves to one brief putdown per each useful bit of advice... :)

nancy May 24th, 2004 05:20 PM

I was in Turkey in July 1996 and, yes, it was very hot. Suggest you wear at least short sleeve shirts (no sleeveless) and long pants or skirts. You probably can get away with long shorts but you won't be able to visit any mosques in shorts. However, they do have cover-ups you can borrow. Take a little hand fan with you; makes a big difference. Have a wonderful time. Turkey is on the top of my list of favorite countries.

Airlawgirl May 24th, 2004 05:22 PM

Woyzeck? Woyzeck? That reminds me of a German classic/play I once read...can't quite remember the name though.... Anyway, I can't top Blacktie's response re the "what to wear in Italy" post, (or M-Kingdom's, for that matter) but I can say you don't have to concern yourself so much in Turkey regarding your manner of dress, as you would, say, in Cairo, or god forbid, Saudi Arabia! Back many moons ago, I stayed with a Turkish family in Istanbul, and I was amazed then that the daughter had everything that I had in the way of American toiletries in her bedroom! (now as to Istanbul itself, I can't say much, all I remember is having rose petals thrown at me in restaurants, and staying out at the clubs until 5 am in the morning-but I digress) I would say, dress conservatively in the cities, and on the Coast/dress as you would on the beach, with loose cotton dresses and the like. Dress is more conservative in Istanbul than it would be say, in Rome, but in terms of comfort, long cotton dresses, long, light cotton skirts, or skirts at the knee or below, with short sleeved blouses, cropped just above the ankle pants, paired with a light linen jacket- this type of casual wear, particularly for western tourists, is perfectly acceptable. Even in Cairo, which is FAR more conservative than Turkey, this kind of clothing was fine. No mini-skirts, though, unless you want to get hassled!

Christina May 24th, 2004 07:33 PM

The name of the play was... Woyzeck. Not a guy I would care to name myself after, though, not much of a role model. Alban Berg adapted it for the opera Wozzeck which is quite good if you like modern music and atonality.

I wasn't in Turkey in the peak of summer, but it was still pretty hot when I was there early fall. I wore lightweight cotton skirts (not short ones, about calf-length) and blouses with shorter sleeves, not tight ones. I wore natural fibers which are cooler and they were pretty lightweight (the skirt sort of heavy gauze weight). I don't think that kind of outfit is very hot. I think skirts are cooler than pants of any kind, even shorts.

Airlawgirl May 24th, 2004 07:39 PM

I know, Christina, about Woyzeck- I was making a joke (albeit not a very good one!)

elina May 25th, 2004 01:48 AM

You feel much cooler covering your skin than baring it. That is why I never understand the "wearing shorts in Europe because it is hot" questions. Hot sun on bare skin is HOT. Just look at the bedouins in Sahara, they don't dress like that because of religion, they dress like that because that has been proven the most comfortable way.

Very thin, loose cotton and linen clothes are the best. A loose, long sleeved thin linen shirt feels far cooler than a T-shirt.

Airlawgirl May 25th, 2004 04:40 AM

I could NOT agree with you more, Elina- I don't even own shorts-never have!

jeanie Jul 22nd, 2004 08:43 AM

I hope I'm not responding too late! I read this posting before I went and I made the mistake of leaving my shorts at home. The coast was really hot and to my surprise, everyone was wearing shorts and tank tops, especially in Bodrum. I ended up spending a fortune on shorts at Marks and Spencers because I was miserable. I was fine with capris and short sleeved shirts in Istanbul and Cappadocia. I would definitely recommend dressing down on the coast - everyone else did!