The view of Matera from the Timone

Jan 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

The view of Matera from the Timone

I'm driving from more than an hour in this January morning that has yet to decide what kind of weather will give me. I'm driving a rental car and since I left the airport I have not stopped yet. I do not stop by 5 a.m., when I went out from home to reach MIlan Airport and take the flight to Bari. I left the cold, fog and darkness, and I'm traveling into the unknown, to a land where I have never been and I don’t know, still with all the my troubles and worries.
Just slid out the ugly outskirts of Bari, I'm driving with no hurry into a landscape that approaching the Basilicata is more rough and less anthropized. I pass through Altamura and continue.
Before I arrive in Matera I want to get in what the guides describe as a scenic point. The road to the Timone (as it is called the place) turns right and climbs up to reach a plateau where there seems to be nothing, not a machine, not a house, a tree, a crop, nothing. The map tells me that the city is near, but I can see anything but rocks and meadows, surprisingly verdant despite the season.
Suddenly, after a curve that no indicator, the road ends in a large square, and here it is in front of me, the city of Matera.
A show that leaves me breathless.
The dark green of the rare vegetation, the gray of the live rock, which is the same colour of the city, the cobalt blue of the sky that has meanwhile cleared of all clouds. In the midst of the canyon, deep and bitter. And Matera, in front of me, lying (rather stuck) in the hill. Huge, even, bathed in light. One of the most extraordinary union between man and nature that I have never seen. Dozens of holes in the hill (the "Sassi"), scattered in an apparent disorder and connected by winding stone steps carved by modeling stage by stage. And the houses above the buildings of the same colour, with their ancient and noble profiles.
A wide view, from north to south through the west, an amphitheater that unfolds in its majestic simplicity, in front of my eyes.
In the silence broken only by some distant barking of dogs, I can not remove my eyes from seeing what I can’t believe. The view from the Timone of Matera is there, more or less the same as I'm watching right now, for hundreds of years, but in my imagination of surprised visitor, it lives since a few minutes, and the extraordinary account of this give sense to all my journey.
After nearly an hour of silent admiration I go back in the car, ready to explore the inside of the treasure chest. A visit to Matera can not disappoint, and it will not disappoint. But my advice, before entering the city, is to impress in mind the view from the Timone.
You will never forget it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/liberosette/Basilicata2011#
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM

Great photos! I will have to visit one day.
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM

liberosette,

Bellisima! Wonderful, wonderful photos! Have a wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing.
Jan 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Fantastic photos!
Jan 16th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Incredible.
Jan 17th, 2011, 03:04 AM

Excellent! I hope to follow in your tracks this spring!!
Jan 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Incredible pictures, the best I have ever seen of Matera and they being back memories of our trip there last May....You truely captured its spirit and sacredness. I want to go back!!!
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM

Amazing photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm looking forward to hearing about (and seeing!) the rest of your trip!
Feb 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM

Gorgeous pictures. Matera is my ancestral home; my grandfather immigrated from there. We went a few years ago, and can't wait to go back.