Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (
-   Europe (
-   -   The Tube: whats the difference between a Visitor Travel Card and a Travel Card (

jamikins Aug 4th, 2004 10:49 AM

The Tube: whats the difference between a Visitor Travel Card and a Travel Card
I know you cant buy a Visitor Travel Card in London, but as a CDN can I buy a Travel Card?

Also, I need a travel card for zones 1-5 which requires a picture if I get the regular travel card...what size pic do I bring?

Thank you so much!

obxgirl Aug 4th, 2004 11:00 AM

Anyone with funds can purchase the Travel Cards. Bring a head shot that's very small...maybe an inch and a half square. You can cut one out of a snapshot.

PalQ Aug 4th, 2004 11:48 AM

Pictures not required last August in London with TravelCards bought at tube stations. Visitor TravelCard inlcudes a booklet of minor discounts at several sights and can be used anytime versus the cheapest TravelCards bought in London which can't be used before 9:30 am, but there are Peak TravelCards costing more that can be. So transport-wise there is no difference between the VisitorTC and TC bought in London in terms of what they cover. Economize? All dau bus passes good for all zones can be bought at most bus stands for just 2 pounds. (A single tube ride without a TC costs 2 pounds minimum, often more.) For short hops buses are more convenient as you need not burrow down into the ground and then suffer oft over-crowded tubes. Sit on the top deck of the double-deckers and watch the scenery go by. If buying TravelCards prices I've seen online for ones bought in London are actually higher than those bought in US or Canada due to current currency exchange rates. One-day TravelCards can be bought in London but not here.

mikemo Aug 4th, 2004 11:58 AM

We literally wore out our one day travel cards in July. As I recall restricted to Zones 1 -2 for 4.6 GBP.

obxgirl Aug 4th, 2004 12:11 PM

PalQ, Jamikins has done her homework. She is correct about needing a photo for a 1-5 Travel Card.

Photos are not required only for 7 Day Adult Travel Cards for Zone 1 or 2 or Zones 1&2.

jamikins Aug 4th, 2004 12:21 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification :)

Anonymous Aug 4th, 2004 12:52 PM

Photos are needed only for *7-day* travelcards that include any zones other than 1 & 2. You can get daily or weekend cards without the photo. Anything roughly passport-sized will do, as mentioned just cut up a snapshot.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:58 AM.