Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Travel Channel is Showing Travel Shows. What is the world coming to.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know today (Sunday) is an all-day poker marathon but I have been pleasantly surprised to see some actual travel shows on the Las Vegas/Poker cannel this week. What wil they think of next?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:31 AM

I am absolutely astounded. I am flat on the floor with surprise. The Travel Channel is actually showing TRAVEL programs! Wow. I seldom what it since it is almost never truly about travel.

--Marv
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM

What a concept!! Showing travel shows on a travel channel. Maybe I'll start looking at them in the tv guide again. I haven't paid any attention to the channel in I don't know how long since I have no interest in Poker - celebrity or otherwise.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Some years ago I really loved the travel channel and we watched it all the time. They had some very interesting programs and one adventure show with this crazy guy doing things like trying to drive across South America. I can't remember the name. Then they switched to all Las Vegas stuff and we stopped watching.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Well I don't believe it for one moment! This has got to be a troll . Regards, Walter
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM

When Samantha Brown stops sticking her head into hotel bathrooms with her mouth and eyes wide open in surprise -- then I will believe that the Travel Channel has returned to its original mission.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Samantha Brown now has a new show called "Passport to Europe". It is on twice a day in my area. She has been to Bavaria, Paris, Rome, Prague, and I think it is an OK show. Beats the poker games. Maybe a little bit amateur for seasoned travelers, but fun to watch. Brings back your memories.

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM

I agree. Miss Brown is not all that bad and I've picked up a few hints for some of the places I've not been yet. Whatever, lets hope the trend continues and we get lots more travel and lots less poker!!!!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:40 PM
P_M

grace omalley wrote, "They had some very interesting programs and one adventure show with this crazy guy doing things like trying to drive across South America."

That was Alby Mangels. He was great, I really miss his show. In fact, I miss any show that's travel-related. I dislike Samantha Brown, but I still enjoy "Passport to Europe." When she gets too cutsie, I use my mute button and enjoy the scenery and sights.

I e-mailed Discovery about the crap they broadcast these days, and got no reponse. It will not change anytime soon.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:53 PM

I agree. When I flip on the Travel Channel, it is almost invariably featuring gambling and polker. Shows what Americans value most. I have never seen anything about Europe. Will watch for Samantha in Europe. They don't even have Rick Steeves!

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Alby Mangels! I'd forgotten the Travel Channel was at one time really about travel. I wish they'd put Passport to Europe on in the evening. Say, do you think there's a Poker Channel out there with Alby showing people the world? *g*
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Maybe we could do a Celebrity Poker in Europe where they play cards in front of Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:04 PM

I did note Passport to Europe visited the "cottswalds" last week!! But with a poker marathon this Sunday or what seemed to be an airliner jet crash marathon on National Geographic, I might just cancel my subscription to cable.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:55 AM

You lucky people! Wish we had a travel channel where I come from. Samantha Brown isn't one of the Karen Brown Brigade is she? I know there's a daughter Clare, but can't think of the other one. All we get are 2 local 'teen culture' travel shows of shallow and superficial coverage (Getaway and The Great Outdoors), plus Pilot Guides which varies from OK to good, A Fork In the Road and City Cabs (both not bad, but somewhat narrowly focussed), and the odd Lonely Planet thing.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:15 AM
P_M

>>When I flip on the Travel Channel, it is almost invariably featuring gambling and polker. Shows what Americans value most.<<

Sorry helenbreen, but I disagree that this reflects the values of Americans. I don't know anyone who enjoys watching all those stupid poker games. However, it does reflect the values of the Discovery channel, who now owns the Travel Channel. They are probably making a lot more money from broadcasting that garbage than from the real travel shows.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only one who ever watched Alby Mangels! I miss the "real" travel channel, too! I'm so sick of seeing commercials for poker, Las Vegas, monster car garages, and documentaries about Hitler that I rarely watch TV anymore. Not a big loss, I might add!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:23 AM

It's pretty sad when my local PBS channel (WUFT, a college channel) plays more travel oriented shows than the Travel Channel! I get Rick Steves, Travels across Europe, etc... plus the usual Britcoms...

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:25 AM

greendragon, that's just what i was going to say. there is more europe travel programming on public tv (pbs).

actually, i really like rick steves programs, but i'm more of a museums and city vs. country village person.

i really hate the poker shows though. it would be more interesting if the losers had to fight those robots from discovery channel though.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Or after they fight the battle-bots they could eat the stuff the Fear Factor producers come up with.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM

We should all send a little check to our local PBS station! And not buy any products that are advertised on the "Travel" Channel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -