Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Travel Bug Blues (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-travel-bug-blues-693341/)

Luvly76 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:14 AM

The Travel Bug Blues

Ok.I've been back for 4 days now from my whirlwind trip (8 days) in Europe and I just can't get to work. It's past lunch time on my first day back at work, I have a great view of the mountains it's nice out here in Southern California and somehow all I can do is relive my wonderful vacation discovering London, Paris, Florence & Rome.... Forget the fact that I have a case due today (who cares?) not I. All I want is to work on my trip report, upload the tons of pictures and video I have....will this ever go away? I'm like a sick puppy in love (with Europe) my husband can't understand it so I decided to post the question to you my newfound friends...what is the best remedy for my blues??

Sincerely,

Missing Europe

Tim_and_Liz Apr 2nd, 2007 11:16 AM

The best remedy is to start planning your next trip. Seriously! Even if it is 5 years (or more) away.

I am right there with you. :(

FainaAgain Apr 2nd, 2007 11:17 AM

My remedy must start on the way home. I always plan the next trip, mentally, while on the plane home, not to let the blues hit me hard, doesn't matter how far away the trip is.

FainaAgain Apr 2nd, 2007 11:18 AM

Tim/Liz, we were posting at the same time: great minds think alike :))

TravMimi Apr 2nd, 2007 11:21 AM

I even plan trips while I'm on the trip. Return here - check, do not return here - check. Get maps for next time - check. Take overnight train again - NEVER.

tudorprincess Apr 2nd, 2007 11:23 AM

I hear you. I start planning while we're still on vacation. My husband hates it! I've got a few things in the works right now. We've been back for exactly 14 days.

suze Apr 2nd, 2007 11:27 AM

I don't have a cure, but it is perfectly normal to be horribly depressed upon arrival home from a great trip imo (jet lag doesn't help).

lyb Apr 2nd, 2007 11:37 AM

I think we should form a support group...'cause I suffer from that same disease and sometimes it lasts for a month or more...I was in Venice in October of last year and still feel homesick whenever I see a picture of Venice and/or see something that reminds of Venice..

So...where shall our support group meet? Venice, Paris, London?

I volunteer to go and check out meeting places for us. :)

Luvly76 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:51 AM

lyb- I gladly join the support group...how about Venice? Didn't get to see it but I now have a reason start planning again.
Tim_and_Liz- I never expected to feel this way at all...thanks for the advice, my dream now is to spend 4 weeeks discovering all of Italy...and also England. I'll start planning right away! Like another fellow poster said, I need a reason to explain my Fodor obsession...I am now living vicariously through all the other traveler's reports...did I mention I should get back to work? After all, it's paying for next year's trip. =)

Tim_and_Liz Apr 2nd, 2007 06:36 PM

Just booked a trip for next March to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Bangkok. :)

The travel bug blues are quickly subsiding...

Luvly76-- Didn't you just love Italy? What a fantastic country. You must visit Venice next time-- I LOVE VENICE! (Sorry for shouting!)

amandab Apr 2nd, 2007 10:05 PM

Join the club, think there are lots of us out there feeling the same way. I came back at the end of January and still haven't recovered. Its a horrible feeling. I've very much NOT OVER IT YET.

Samsaf Apr 3rd, 2007 02:22 AM

Yep, like most of you, I always have trips that I'm planning, even while we're on a different trip. I'll say something (when we're on a trip) like, "Well, maybe we should spend 2 nights in that city instead of 3," and my husband will want to know what I'm talking about. Oh, I'm talking about the next trip "in the works," I say. There are always several trips "in the works." If I'm not planning a trip, I can get very down. It's sort of like my therapy!

travelfan1 Apr 3rd, 2007 02:42 AM

It's sooooooo good to see I'm not the only one with this "condition". Luvly I can feel your pain! Ya just gotta start planning that next trip, and the next one....

Count me on the support group!!! :D I vote anywhere in Italy.....or Prague!

Countrymouse Apr 3rd, 2007 03:40 AM

It has been 4 months since I returned from my last holiday and I'm getting so 'stir crazy'. I'm sure I'm suffering from SAD (seasonal affective disorder), so I certainly sympathise with you Luvly.
I find that getting your photos printed off as quickly as possible helps me to cope, and I've got a great photo of a beach in Lankawi (malaysia) as my screen saver, so that whenever the longing gets too much I just switch on my computer (very handy in work when you need a 'fix!)and there I am, the warm breezes caressing my face and the smell of frangipani in the air sighhhhhh ooer off I go again!
Ah well only three weeks to go and I'll have some more memories to savour.
The other good thing is to visit fodors and read all your posts. (I'm now in southern california gazing at the mountains and having a glass of wine with you Luvly!) Ah well back to reality and the english spring and a pot of tea. I'll try staring out of the window at the daffodils!
Tata for now
CM

Luvly76 Apr 3rd, 2007 05:50 PM

You are all so right! I've thrown myself into planning an extensive visit of Italy, starting in Venice and working my way down to Positano for next year (Feb or March 2008) and it is absolutely helping...Italy is such an amazing country and the people are so wonderful...I am also trying to put my trip report together so I can post it here...it's all therapy! HOORAY! Although it's not the same as sitting in the Borghese Gardens...but atleast these travel blues will let me function now. =)

toedtoes Apr 3rd, 2007 06:08 PM

I definitely agree with the planning a new trip asap. I've got 3 or 4 in various planning stages.

Another trick I've learned is to take several extra days off work after I return from my trip. How many days depends on how long I was gone. I call them my "coming down" period. For a 2 week trip, I'll take 4 days. For a 3 week or more, I'll take an extra week. I save up holiday credits, etc. to cover the time.

I also make arrangements to have lunch with friends. But, instead of making it one lunch with all my friends, I set up several lunches with 1 or 2 friends each. Then I tell and retell my trip to each (without people having to listen twice).

It all seems to work and by the time I get back to my job, I can somewhat concentrate.