The Train in Spain -- Traveling Light

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of us, retired ladies, need information about the train stations in Madrid (Atocha) and Cordoba and Granada. Are there porters to help us with our luggage? Baggage carts? Stairs? Do trains open directly to the platforms or are there steps up into the cars? What other barriers might our aging backs encounter? I know we should travel light, but the term is relative -- we're 70-something, not 30-something -- game, but not always able.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Others can speak specifically to Spain, but for train travel generally speakingn you need to be able to handle your own luggage. No there will not always be baggage carts or porters. Yes there will be stairs in train stations and to get onto the train itself.

My best advice is to pack only one small rolling suitcase each (22-24" size) plus one additional tote, handbag, or daypack or some sort. To take any more than that is simply not practical for two retired ladies traveling on their own.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:01 AM

don't expect porters

baggage carts usually - carry euro coins to disengage them - you get the coin back if you return the cart to a rack

most trains have a step or two up to get in

but some high-speed ones like AVE Madrid-Cordoba may not but expect them

Big city stations usually have escalators or some lift but i would not count on one in Granada

Hopefully someone will specific current knowledge of these stations will advise you

I'm giving generalities common to most european trains and stations

Yes - pack LIGHT
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM

genieb~
An even more important reason (in my opinion) for you both to travel light is for reasons of personal safety. Two middle aged ladies with heaps of luggage more than they can manage, and who don't speak the local language (i'm assuming)... could look like an easy opportunity for the local pickpocket or scam artist.

Try to appear confident, able to look after yourself, and like you know what you're doing (even if you don't -haha). Having only a moderate amount of luggage that you can easily manage without assistance, will help give the impression of things being under control, rather than vulnerable.

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Atocha has escalators and elevators, no need to do stairs, I don't think there was a step into the train, but if there was it was only 1 or 2. Cordoba also has escalators. I wasn't in the train station in Granada, sorry.

I saw no porters at any train or bus stations in any Spanish cities. I don't recall if there were baggage carts but you really should try to pack light enough to get it all in a rolling suitcase plus a smaller bag that you can set atop the rolling one. Ideally it should be a 21" and light enough that you can lift it a step or two yourself. The stations are very modern so you can roll your wheeled bag everywhere, but you'll have quite a bit of trouble if you bring so much that you would need a baggage cart.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I don't recall seeing any porters in Spain train stations either. Absolutely--TRAVEL LIGHT! You won't regret it (you can always pick up anything up you need in some of the great stores in Spain).

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I don't remember many baggage carts at Atocha - and escalators are used to get to the platforms (though I bet an elevator *might* be available).

There is a bit of a step up into the train, so you'd need to be able to hoist your bag yourself (though you probably would easily find a kind soul to help out). Also, you might not be guaranteed to have a space on the floor for your bag, so you should pack bags that you could lift onto the overhead rack or in the shelves at the front of the train car.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM

In Atocha there is an elevator at the AVE station. There are baggage carts also but then they dissappear quicky when a train arrives

If you find yourselves "too lost" when you are there, look for the info office, they should be able to help you. There is a service to help disabled people and also elders managing at the station (porters, wheelchairs, getting on the train if you need).

I don't know how Cordoba and Granada stations are but there has to be a similar service as in Madrid, at a smaller scale, sure
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Congratulations from a fellow Septuagenarian on your upcoming Spanish Odyssey.

Madrid's Puerta de Atocha has Escalators from the Ticket Counter level to the level at which trains arrive/depart. I have never seen porters (redcaps) to help with ones luggage. There are baggage carts but they're not allowed on the escalator; I don't know if they're allowed on the lower level.

On AVE Trains which I have ridden several times, you don't have to worry about steps. It's pretty level from the vestibule to the platform.

There are luggage racks at the end of the carriage; so you shouldn't have to worry about lifting your suitcase to an overhead rack.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM

Just came back from a week in Andalusia. Used trains to get to Seville, Cordoba and Granada, take the advice and pack very light, there are no porters and depending on the train you take, there will be steps from the platform up to the cars. the station in Granada is being renovated so you have to walk over the tracks when you get off. Pack light and have fun!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:34 AM

Is it worth traveling first class on the AVE between Barcelona & Madrid?? If so, is 91.20/tkt a good price?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:02 AM

No, it's not worth at that price. Way too expensive. Yes, you would have more room for your legs and a breakfast/lunch/dinner (depending on the schedule) served at your seat..but almost 100 euros is too much money for a meal and the trip is not long enough for the extra room to be so much valuable.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
yk

genieb-
Just returned from my trip to Spain. Like others said, there are no porters. However, I did see one elderly Spanish woman asked one of the Renfe staff to help her carry her luggage to the platform and onto the train, and he did.

For Atocha and Cordoba there are escalators (and lifts too) so you should do okay with your bags. There is minimal steps (or maybe none) to get on/off the train but of course you'll have to lift it over the "gap". There're luggage racks at the end of each train car.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Hello genieb, personally I would have a 21 inch suitcase. I am pretty sure you would find a 24 inch suitcase to bulky to handle yourself, size plus the bigger your suitcase the heavier it is normally. When I have taken trains in Italy I use a 21 inch as do my Italian friends in Italy. Best wishes to you.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Pack light!

I did see porters once in Atocha - for a regional soccer team! They should have been able to tote their own stuff. Maybe they not porters but team staff but the players never carried a thing.

There are luggage racks but you may not have lower space available which means not lifting overhead but lifting to an upper shelf.Many trains have no step to enter but not all and you don't know until it's there. These is an moving walkway in Atocha but the incline seems a little steep, maybe because it is a flat surface. Anyway, I sensed some people having a bit of a struggle handling heavy bags - do you place ahead and feelpulled or do you have behind and feel a bit pushed? Especially troublesome at the downward exit.

Another reason for smaller bag, they are much easier to maneuver through a crowd like those on train platforms and at the local transport queues.

You don't mention the length of your trip but rarely do you need more gear than what can be stowed in a 21"er.

Have fun - the train is agreat way to get around.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Good catch, LoveItaly and others are correct...

I mentioned in my post above a suitcase size 22-24", but for moving around on the train 19-22" really would be much better.

My 24" works OK for airport travel but I wouldn't want it to be dragging it around in and out of hotels and on multiple train trips.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:27 AM

I'm just back from a week in Rome with my 70-odd year old mother, and will repeat what everybody else is saying here: light, very light. Not only will you find it much easier, but should one of you be under the weather in any way, at any time, the other will be able to handle both bags (I'm assuming both carry-on size, both wheeled).

My mother packed for herself (with my tips) and had no trouble fitting a week's worth of clothes and toiletries into her carry-on sized bag, and did no laundry.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM

I hope genieb knows how to get back to this thread and has a chance to read these replies.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! I'll share your replies with my traveling companion. Looks like our next stop is the 21" luggage shop.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM

Wheels on luggage IMO is an absolute essential for train travel and navigating train stations, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -