Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The TGV out of CDG (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-tgv-out-of-cdg-640115/)

Lostmymind Aug 18th, 2006 09:04 AM

The TGV out of CDG

Quick question, does the TGV always leave from the same track out of CDG? I am trying to map out my run from the baggage area to the train. (if i dont make the train I am going to cab it Gare de Lyon)
thanks

Christina Aug 18th, 2006 09:07 AM

I don't remember if it is literally only one track there (which I doubt), but it only leaves from one main area where the TGV station is. So you will have to go there.

Lostmymind Aug 18th, 2006 09:18 AM

Thanks Christina! the pictures on web show that there are at least 2 platforms and 4 tracks, i was just wondering if it used the same track all the time

PalQ Aug 18th, 2006 09:22 AM

Last time i was there there were two TGVs heading south, but to different directions, so that both southbound tracks were occupied - people were transferring between the two TGVs - the tracks are served by a common platform i believe so little difference. Look at the Composition des Trains board on the platform to see which track your train will come in on or look at the overhead monitors.

DanM Aug 18th, 2006 09:54 AM

AS noted, multiple tracks at CDG are used for TGV.

ira Aug 18th, 2006 10:11 AM

Hi L,

Is your connection so tight that a difference in platform mught mean whether you make it? :)

((I))

Lostmymind Aug 18th, 2006 10:22 AM

Ira,
like i stated I will have to run from baggage (i was planning on doing carry on to save time)if I miss it, I will have to take a cab to Gare de Lyon. It is a very tight connection.
There was no harm in asking was there?? :)

PalQ Aug 18th, 2006 10:30 AM

If you have to buy a TGV ticket at Roissy-TGV station you could potentially wait a long time in line - last time i was there it took me 45 minutes to get to the window to make a TGV reservation with my railpass. There are machines but apparently won't take chipless US credit cards. And pre-reserving tickets is dicey unless you pay full price and have a changeable ticket as your plane of course could be late.

Michel_Paris Aug 18th, 2006 10:32 AM

Out of curiosity, if you miss your TGV from CDG, you'll be going to Gare de Lyon..to catch another train?

norween Aug 18th, 2006 10:33 AM

I'm not sure i understand : is your train ticket for a train leaving from CDG or from Gare de Lyon ?

PalQ Aug 18th, 2006 10:39 AM

sounds like she/he will buy a ticket just before the train and if miss CDG will have to go to Gare de Lyon for the next link???

PalQ Aug 18th, 2006 10:40 AM

norween: thanks for your insightful comments on Ile St Germain area! merci bien!

Gretchen Aug 18th, 2006 10:45 AM

Why go to the Gare de Lyon. Wait for the next train from CDG.

Michel_Paris Aug 18th, 2006 11:00 AM

To clarify, where are you going, what time do you land, at what gate...

Lostmymind Aug 18th, 2006 11:03 AM

I am trying to get to Monaco, I know I know I should just fly to Nice and from there, but i am traveling with a companion who doesnt want to fly Ryan or Easyjet. Airfrance is very pricey at the moment so train it is. I already booked an overnight train to come back to paris and that was easy, thanks again Morganb and TimS.

So to make things easier I was hoping to catch the 10:10 TGV to Nice train number 5110 From CDG.

My plane is suppose to land at 7:35am but last year we had to wait for a bus to come out and get us, then the wait for bags were horrible, so i can see us running for the train.

I would rather leave from CDG so I dont have to do the whole "plane trains and auto" thing.

I guess its not the end of the world If we the miss train there is another one at 11:30 at CDG (for some reason i just found this train, i dont think it was listed before). But I just want to be as prepared as much as possible and get on the way as soon as possible.

When I travel alone, I am much more free spirited. check out my trip report from my backpacking tour in december.

PalQ- thanks for the heads up!

norween Aug 18th, 2006 11:12 AM

The reason of my question about the departure station was that TGV from CDG don't stop at Gare de Lyon in Paris but in Lyon