The summer of the Canal de l'Ourcq

Jul 20th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

The summer of the Canal de l'Ourcq

I am only addressing repeat visitors who are wondering what they can possibly do in Paris that they have not already done. Obviously, there are so many monuments and museums to see that it takes a long time to reach this stage and yet, yes, it does happen sooner or later to some of these people who say it's their 10th or 20th trip. Of course some of them are happy to keep doing the same thing over and over again. That's fine, too, but a lot of people want something new.

Okay, in July and August there are boat trips every Saturday and Sunday leaving from Stalingrad and going to the (scary? yes, if you listen to the xenophobic news sources) suburb of Bobigny, which has prepared a delightful leisure zone in the park along the canal de l'Ourcq. The boats cost 1 euro on Saturday or 2 euros on Sunday and operate every 40 minutes from noon to 19:30. If you are not interested in the activities in Bobigny, you can take the next boat back for another 1 or 2 euros or else walk through the park to the Bobigny metro station on line 5.

The cruise takes you past some really impressive graffiti art in Pantin but also shows the incredible gentrification of the area. Nobody will be afraid of the Paris suburbs after seeing this.

https://www.tourisme93.com/ete-du-ca...tes-ourcq.html

However, I have taken these cruises 2 or 3 times in the past, so I was looking for something more. So I signed up for a 2-hour cruise to the Parc Forestier de la Poudrerie in Villepinte. It was totally remarkable, especially when the boat leaves the "navigable" part of the canal and you are suddenly in a narrow bayou type waterway with ducks, geese and swans blocking your way. The park at the end is sensational (picnic, anyone?) -- a huge virgin forest that you would never have expected so close to Paris. On top of that, there is an RER station just 2 minutes away to take you back to Paris fast. Here is the report that I made about my trip. (These cruises also run through July and August.)

Mystery cruise on the Canal de l'Ourcq | Any Port in a Storm

I constantly try to promote how fascinating the Parc de la Villette is. I am not very successful. There is always something happening there. Right now there are free movies (in original version) on the giant prairie next to Porte de Pantin every night until August 18th. You can find the program on line.

But last night -- and also tonight for anybody in Paris right now -- there was the night of fire by the Carabosse organization. One thousand points of fire decorating the park along the canal from 22:00 to 01:00. I thought it was sensational, and here is my report about it.

Carabosse sets La Villette on fire! | Any Port in a Storm

If you prefer to walk along the Seine or watch the Eiffel Tower twinkle, no problem.
Jul 20th, 2019, 09:24 AM

That trip along the canal looks like a refreshing break from the heat.
Jul 21st, 2019, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

I was at the movies at the Bassin de la Villette this morning (Werk ohne Autor - fantastic!). Coming out at 12:15, I saw that the 2-euro cruise at 12:30 was still selling tickets, so it least there are no booking problems like at the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre!
Jul 22nd, 2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac View Post
I was at the movies at the Bassin de la Villette this morning (Werk ohne Autor - fantastic!). Coming out at 12:15, I saw that the 2-euro cruise at 12:30 was still selling tickets, so it least there are no booking problems like at the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre!
That movie is quite something! I'll be in Paris next week and have already been looking at the programme, but, alas, many mediocre films when I'm there.