The Royal Museum for Central Africa Belgium

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just accidentally ran across some info on line about a current exhibit on the Congo during King Leopold's reign at the abovementioned museum.More than 2,000 people per day are attending the exhibit. I'm off to Paris this coming Friday and am thinking of hopping a train from Paris to Belgium, at some point during my stay,in order to go to this exhibit. Does anyone know how far it is from Brussels, by tram, to the Brussels suburb of Tervuren where the museum is located? I have been in Belgium many times, but the last time being ten years ago so I have forgotten the distances. Plus, from Paris I assume I would leave from Gare du Nord or Gare de L'Est?I don't remember what train station the train will get into in Brussels, however. As for Paris, no problem with the transportation system. I've been there a couple dozen times...I just need to get to the right station in Brussels. I read that I'm to go to the Montgomery subway station in Brussels and then take the 44 tram to Tervuren terminus. I don't know if I can walk to the museum from the terminus or not. Thanks for your help in advance. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Hi, I don't know anything about the museum, but I did want to give you some links you may find useful:

http://www.economist.com/cities/brie...mp;city_id=BRU

(Economist blurb -- there's a link to the museum website)

I see a bus 107 listed here:

http://www.africamuseum.be/visitor/access

But I don't see more detailed instructions on the website -- though I didn't check very carefully.

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:16 AM

For Paris to Brussels -- In Paris, use Gare du Nord.

I think that the Eurostar only uses Midi in Brussels. I could be wrong. Central Station is the one closest to Grand'Place. There're very frequent connections between the two.

I don't know, though, which station will be more convenient in terms of transportation to the museum.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM

From their website:
From Brussels Central Station take metro 1B (direction Stokkel) to Montgomery ; at Montgomery take tram 44 to the terminus ; the museum is at 300m.
Enjoy the museum, not only the exhibits are worth seeing but also the building!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM

The tram ride is I guess about 20 minutes from Montgomery. Make sure you get the 44 tram to Tervuren, not the 39 to Ban Eik (both start at the same place at Montgomery). It's a nice ride...on the right, you pass the Woluwe Park, then some nice homes, and then it goes through the woods.
Make sure you have a validated ticket--there are fairly routine ticket checks at the end of the line. The grounds around the museum are very attractive and there are some decent cafes in the vicinity as well.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million folks! I REALLY appreciate the help. If you ever need help on planning a trip to Asia, you can find me in the Asia forum. I was just on the museum website, but the computer I'm using wouldn't access Acrobat, the sytem that I needed to go into to get the full directions to the museum then I came on the forum here and found your replies. Thanks again! Happy Travels!