Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Queen invites you for a stroll... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-queen-invites-you-for-a-stroll-782473/)

PatrickLondon May 3rd, 2009 02:49 AM

The Queen invites you for a stroll...

A new website offering a series of walks around London, taking in the various important sites of 2012 (which will be the year of HM's Diamond Jubilee as well as the Olympics):

http://www.jubileegreenway.com/

flanneruk May 3rd, 2009 04:03 AM

Well. Ish.

It's really just the branding (and publicising) of the inadequately known fact that it's just about possible to walk round the perimeter of central London without having to deal with traffic. Except for a slightly seedy (but safe and just a bit raffish) half mile through an Islington housing estate and one or two streets to cross, there's about 15 miles, from Palace back to Palace, almost entirely through parkland or along river/canal banks.

Very pleasant day's walk in spring or autumn. And no need to wait till 2012.

corli33 May 3rd, 2009 08:21 AM

I fail to see the fasination with a bunch of inbred royals. "Royalty" is such a ridiculous concept anyway. Oooooh, some people are "ROYALTY" and some are "COMMONERS". Geez, how childish and silly.

jetsetj May 3rd, 2009 08:32 AM

corli33,

and you are the King/Queen of what/where?

gertie3751 May 3rd, 2009 08:50 AM

Thanks for the website. What a great lot of walks in central London. Will definitely be trying these.

stfc May 3rd, 2009 09:07 AM

Oh. corli's back. Another sad and ignorant post. You seem to have so little to give to this forum. Maybe your post will be deleted like the one on the 'London do and don't list'. Katie, mods?

stokebailey May 3rd, 2009 12:52 PM

Nice, Patrick. Do you think bicycling is all right along the walking greenways?

janisj May 3rd, 2009 01:29 PM

Well done website. easy to follow the walks . .

(Ignore corli - he gets off his meds every now and then and posts totally irrelevant drivel. Nothing to do w/ anything)

flanneruk May 3rd, 2009 01:37 PM

"Do you think bicycling is all right along the walking greenways?"

Whatever the puffery says, this is NOT a green way. Over half the route is riverbank or canal towpath, and small slugs are things like pedestrian underpasses.

The Thames path (which is the longest single bit of this) is mostly barred to cyclists, who have to take a rather unpleasant detour along ordinary roads. Bits of the rest of the route aren't OK for cyclists either, though I think there's always a detour available. Cyclists can do the whole circuit - but often need to get on and off their bike.

stokebailey May 3rd, 2009 01:41 PM

THanks, Flanner. Bikes and walkers often don't mix well.

jetsetj May 3rd, 2009 02:22 PM

stokebailey,

In Amsterdam at least, no truer words were ever spoken.

stokebailey May 3rd, 2009 02:45 PM

Not that cars and bikes are such a wonderful combo either.

stokebailey May 4th, 2009 07:58 AM

Hmmm. Though it does say "Stride and Ride the Jubilee Greenway" and then "Pleasingly, all 60km (35 miles) of The Jubilee Greenway is already fully open and available to walk and cycle." Whether it's pleasant for the unhardened to cycle those streets would be another question. Maybe there'll be a velib type system by 2012?

corli33 May 4th, 2009 03:42 PM

"he gets off his meds every now and then and posts totally irrelevant drivel. Nothing to do w/ anything)"

Anybody who believes in "royalty" and "commoners" is the one who needs meds not someone who believes in the concept of reality like me. Speaking of irrelevent drivel, most of the comments here are.

Palenque May 5th, 2009 07:55 AM

corli33 - welcome to the club of REASON (re: Doltocracy) as well as the inane retorts about 'how dare you say that about our much loved and talented royals' - BARF

stokebailey May 5th, 2009 07:59 AM

Brer Fox? Want to fight this tarbaby?

Palenque May 5th, 2009 08:14 AM

If only British monarchs were more like Queen Anne and her progency - all this royal BARF would be on the dung heap of history as it belongs.

BTW Thanks Patrick for posting this - always looking for info on good walks out of central London

Cholmondley_Warner May 5th, 2009 08:18 AM

Is there a factory in America that mass produces these weapons grade tools? Because it seems we never run out...

PatrickLondon May 5th, 2009 10:07 AM

>>as the inane retorts about 'how dare you say that about our much loved and talented royals' <<

I don't see any of those in this thread, nor was my choice of title particularly reverential (or meant to be), just a way of attracting attention. Clearly tongue-in-cheek is a concept too far for some people (perhaps it's required for sticking out when they write).

Palenque May 5th, 2009 10:13 AM

No Patrick there were not any of those inane...

i was just telling corli what to expect if he/she dares criticize a royal - Corli introduced the mocking the royals, quite justly just on the face of this farce - and i was commenting only to him/her of how comments like that can make Brits think you are attacking the very fabric of their culture and society and sense of imperial history.