Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The place to be in Rome at night (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-place-to-be-in-rome-at-night-582923/)

palny Jan 18th, 2006 12:50 PM

The place to be in Rome at night

Where is a safe and beautiful place to stroll in Rome at night? It will be the only night since we will have a tour of the most important historical sites in the morning. Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Plaza Ispagnia???? Please help!

tcreath Jan 18th, 2006 12:55 PM

I love walking around Rome at night!

We usually do a walk that starts around either the Spanish Steps or the Trevi Fountain and heads toward the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. Walking around the Forum and Colloseum is magical at night as well.

Tracy

Eloise Jan 18th, 2006 12:56 PM

Trevi to Pantheon to Piazza Navona, where you can sit in one of the many cafes and have a coffee, a glass of wine, whatever.

palny Jan 18th, 2006 01:01 PM

Thank you! I can't wait to arrive. Is the shopping district near the Spanish steps ,nice to see at night, even thouh shopa are closesd?. Which street(s) is(are) nice?
Where can we walk narow magical streets?

CookeeMonster Jan 18th, 2006 01:05 PM

I seem to find all the streets I walk in Rome magical. The whole city seems to be enchanted! I have spent quite a bit of time there and can't think of a place I walked and really felt unsafe. As mentioned before Piazza Navona to the Spanish Steps is beautiful!

kismetchimera Jan 18th, 2006 01:08 PM

All the ABOVE..

Leely Jan 18th, 2006 01:20 PM

Agree with kismetchimera that all the above are great. However, maybe tops is ancient Rome lit up at night. But I'd probably just try to find an excellent restaurant in an atmospheric location--of which there are many in Rome--enjoy a great dinner and then wander.

bookchick Jan 18th, 2006 01:30 PM

If you happen to be at the top of Castel Sant'Angelo as the sun is setting, it may be as close to heaven on earth as you will ever come.

BC

annabelle2 Jan 18th, 2006 03:43 PM

Great suggestions! If you want an itinerary of sorts, Rick Steves has a decent night walk of Rome outlined in his Italy guidebook.

Huitres Jan 18th, 2006 11:46 PM

Yes, palny, Rome's main shopping district with all the ritzy shops runs parallel to the Spanish Steps (in front of them) for a couple blocks in either directions. (The Armani store is up past the Spanish Steps and a favorite of mine! :))

Also, the Campo dei Fiori area is very lively at night. It is a short walk over Corso Vittorio Emanuele Blvd from the Pantheon, so if you are in the area, I would definitely recommend a visit. The Campo has lots of cafes and shops that stay open late (some until 2 am) with many local Roman families, couples, teen-agers, and tourists alike hanging out and listening to bands, eating gelato, walking around, etc. Truthfully, all areas in Rome are fine at night, with the possible exception of the Termini station area.

palny Jan 19th, 2006 07:43 AM

Thank you so much to all! I can' wait to be there.

dewdrops Jan 19th, 2006 07:57 AM

ttt