The Perfect Black Travel Pants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone found the perfect pair of black travel pants that don't wrinkle, bag, stretch out, pill (sp) or is a lint magnet? I don't care for Chico's, slinky materials, or nylon athletic styles, just a pair of pants that could go from plane to dinner in a nice resto. Is that too much to ask for!! lol.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM

When I went to Paris in November, I took two pair of black, wool blend pants from Ann Taylor. They are classics that I have had for 3 years and they travel beautifully.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM

A nice, lined pair of tropical wool slacks can go anywhere, winter or summer, and always look great. I have bought several pair from Banana Republic.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Hi Barb!

I like these from the White Company

http://www.thewhitecompany.com/depar...p;DepCode=SCLY

They do ship overseas, charged at cost.

I have them in black, brown and navy, and wear them a lot, almost every day in fact I have my navy ones on as I type!

I was wearing my black pair in Dubrovnik the day we walked the walls - I don't think they looked terrible but you might have done LOL!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Title 9 has some good ones...might be a bit sportier than you were thinking of.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Julia, I forgot about those pants. They looked terrific on you. I was looking for something a tad more tailored, I think, as I do have a similar pair to yours and a skirt with the rolled waist also that I love. The Title 9s look very comfy, but, maybe a little casual.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have one current perfect pair. But they are a beautiful light brown color 'gaucho' style by Karen Kane. Fabric has a teeny bit of stretch to it (but is not a knit or slinky synthetic).

I have better luck looking at good quality normal clothing, instead of anything specifically meant for "travel". Anytime I go shopping, I'm thinking... how would this pack and wear.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Suze, I know what you mean. I used to order from Travelsmith and shopped for specific travel clothing, but now, like you, I look for regular clothes that are lightweight, wrinkle free, etc. So far, I've just not found that perfect black pant though. Being height-challenged, gauchos just don't look right on me. Wish they did because they are great, on other people. On trips when I spot someone wearing a great pant, I am so tempted to ask them where they got them. But they would probably say in Norwegian, Oslo.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I have a pair that fit all your criteria except the last one; they are extremely lint prone.

I got them several years ago at a great Eileen Fisher sale and they still look great. They're sort of jersey like but a little more substantial, wash out in the sink and dry overnight with nary a wrinkle or crease. If I could just get a handle on the lint thing, they would be perfect.

Seems like I read somewhere about a cure for that, like soaking them in something but I can't remember where I saw it.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Try on the editors at Express -- i know, i know, cheap mall store but they really work. The fabric is soft and comfortable with very good stretch -- the pants look really fitted and tailored but I can fly all day in them.

Haven't tried them in black but they have a ton of colors and the ones I have don't attract lint at all.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For summer travel, I found an excellent pair of black linen capri pants (Eileen Fisher) for $25 at a 2nd hand shop.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:19 PM

My favorite pant fabric is a Poly/Rayon/Lycra blend. I've seen it at a number of stores, such as Eddie Bauer. It sounds like it would meet your needs.

~Liz
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM

By the way, don't call them "pants" if you're in the UK. Pants are panties. (I learned that the hard way, commenting on a colleagues nice pants when I was working in the UK.)

The perfect pair of black travel trousers isn't black. It's charcoal grey, or heathery brown or something similar that doesn't show lint or dirt.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM

I have the perfect black pants (or trousers!). I've had them for years and they still look great. They are by Babette, a line from San Francisco, which I bought at a small store in Baltimore. They have straight legs, maybe a slight bootcut, and a built in crease. I wear them on the plane and can wash them in the sink and hang them to dry. If I could only have one pair of black pants, these would be it!

Fishee-- thanks for reminding me about Express-- they have great pants and good prices.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions. Are the Express pants very low rise? I can't wear the real low rise trousers, which seems to be all they carry at Express. Point well taken about the grey and heathery brown, but you still can't beat black for hiding stains - like the glass of red wine that my seat mate managed to knock over and which spilled onto my leg last trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM

I think Express currently has a promotion where, if you try on a pair of their new high-waisted trousers or skirts, you get a $15 coupon applicable to purchases over $75.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM

You can try these from Coldwater Creek. I lived in mine in London last spring. I think the main difference between the 2 styles is that one has a front zip and the other a side zip.

http://tinyurl.com/2nqwem
http://tinyurl.com/2j7kgn

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM

a 2nd for Eileen Fisher. That's about all I wear for travel anymore. And, it lasts and lasts. annie
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Express editors aren't low rise nor do they hit at the belly button which I find to be uncomfortably high.

They're not low in the back (I wear them to work sometimes) but they are low enough in the front to be very comfortable and not cut into your waist when sitting.

The shades of heather brown and charcoal grey have worked great for me, and on sale, were around $35. I think these look great if you're anywhere between a sz 0-10 -- slimming and tailored.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Hi Barb,
My favorite are a pair I bought a year and a half ago at Lulu's (downtown on Holly.) Very tailored, comfy, machine washable, nice drape - love them. They are made by Trousers etc. I've worn them a million times as I think they make me look slender . It's worth a quick look! They were a little pricey I thought but then I bought a back up pair on sale so it evened out. It's almost all I wore on my last trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -