The Peloponnese or another island??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello--My husband and I are going to Greece for 2 weeks. We are spending some time with family, a few days in Santorini...now we are trying to decide if we should just take a driving trip through the Peloponnese or go to a second island. We are looking to see some interesting sights, good local food and spend some time in some villages--real Greek culture. Any thought or suggestions??

Thanks! Trishk
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM

The Peloponnese was my favorite part of Greece. I would the islands and stay there. Mycenae, Epidaurus, and Olympia are must-sees. I would use Nafplio as my base on the east and Pylos as my western base.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM

I meant to say, of course, that I would skip the islands.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:05 AM

I vote for the Peloponnese, too. Don't miss Delphi--it was my favorite. Just think of all the people who walked the Sacred Way before you.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:28 AM
JonJon

If you're interested in the so-called "classical sites" such as Corinth, Delphi, and Olympia, as well as the theatre at Epidaurus, etc., then you'll have to venture to the Pel. If you AREN'T interested then there may not be as much reason to go there although the scenery and countryside cand be quite pleasing.
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you speak of "real Greek culture" since everything in the country, no matter wher you visit, is, in fact, part of the "real" culture even if it doesn't conform to some pre-conceived notions..if it's there, then it's Greek.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:34 AM
vcl

Here's another vote for the Peloponnese. And if you get a yen for another island, you can always dayhop to Spetsis or Hydra from Porto Heli. Hydra is particularly charming with its narrow, cobbled streets, colorful waterfront and absence of vehicular traffic.
Have a great trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM

I went all over mainland Greece and I never felt more remote (i.e., in "real" Greece) than when in the area southeast and northeast of Olympia.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your great insight and for sharing your experiences!!! we will definitely take your advice! Trishk
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:04 PM

We also based ourselves out of Napflion and loved it. If we had more time, I would have liked to go south of there as well. We took the ferry from Delphi to the island and drove first to Olympia and then over to Napflion.

We also spent a week in Crete and that was by far our favorite part of the trip. The south part of Crete is as rustic and "Greek" as you can imagine.