Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Original London Walks' (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-original-london-walks-515274/)

panucci Mar 23rd, 2005 04:32 PM

The Original London Walks'

We are planning on doing the Jack the Ripper walk, but now we are thinking maybe one or two others, in addition. What are your Favorites?

RufusTFirefly Mar 23rd, 2005 04:37 PM

The Lambeth Walk--but I don't think they have it anymore.

The Bloomsbury Literary Walk. Not sure if they still have this one.

ucsbalum Mar 23rd, 2005 04:43 PM

They are all interesting, entertaining and worthwhile. I spent a summer in London, and whenever I had a spare couple of hours, I would look at the schedule to see what was planned that day. I've probably gone on 15 walks. The pub walks are especially fun.

travelinwifey Mar 23rd, 2005 05:32 PM

I love the haunted walks :[ :[ London has a very haunted history 8-X

susieq22 Mar 23rd, 2005 05:43 PM

The British Museum Walk--a great introduction.

The Along the Thames Pub Walk--entertaining & fun.

I bet the Victoria & Albert museum walk is good too--next time I will try it out. I also plan on going on a Pub walk most evenings, except for theater nights.

I am envious--have a great time!!

Keith Mar 24th, 2005 07:19 AM

I like the "panorama" tour - starts at Tower Station, ferry to Westminster, then a tour of that area.

Keith

julie_Colorado Mar 24th, 2005 07:42 AM

We've enjoyed all of them (Old London Walk, Chelsea Pub Walk, Winnie-the-Pooh walk, Dickens Walk)... probably my least favorite was the Jack the Ripper walk. It's a bit over the top for my taste (and I really don't care to walk around the worst part of town and hear about women being murdered). But so many seem to love it.

MelissaHI Mar 24th, 2005 07:44 AM

I did the Pub walk with Mischka last year.......OMG it's been almost exactly a year! It was quite enjoyable, but even better if you have a palate for beers.

I really enjoyed the Greenwich tour, as well. this is a half- to full-day excursion, but very nice if you have time.

panucci Mar 24th, 2005 02:05 PM

We will be with our daughters, 15 and 17. I don't know if the Pub walks would be appropriate. They sure sound like fun though.

rj007 Mar 24th, 2005 03:37 PM

I've done around 4 dozen of the walks - they're good ways to explore London and they take you into areas you might not know about. The pub walks are fun - you don't have to buy anything or maybe just have a soft drink. Plus you get some London history. Did you know Harvard University was founded with money from a South London pub?

So many walks to choose from. Some of my favorites Eccentric London, Christopher Wren's churches, Westminister Abbey, British Musuem, the Beatles, Hampstead, Walk along the Thames pub walk, Greenwich, Old Mayfair.

If you plan on doing more than 2 walks get the Discount Walk card from the guide on your first tour. Every walk after your second walk you save one pound.

Kayb95 Mar 24th, 2005 05:43 PM

We've been on a lot of their walks and they are all very interesting and entertaining.

If you go on the Ripper walk, I would recommend going on a <u>non</u>-Donald Rumbelow night. The crowds will be a bit less and the other guides are very good and know more than enough Ripper facts than anyone could possibly want.

julie_Colorado Mar 31st, 2005 01:43 PM

We did take our 12 year old on the Chelsea pub walk (just don't tell social services)... The walk is as much about the area as it is the pubs. You stop briefly in 3 pubs... Only long enough for a very quick drink... and they have sodas, etc. for the kids.

wanderlust5 Mar 31st, 2005 01:53 PM

I've done the JT Ripper more than once, and haunted London, Pub Crawl, and the Guy Fawlkes (rainy, windy, brutal Nov 5 night!), and london gardens. They are all great!