Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The only stupid question is the one not asked...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 08:54 AM
adventuretwin

I'm planning my honeymoon to Italy, and I can't find room definitions. What's a single room? Double? If we want one queen size bed, what type of room do we want? <BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 08:56 AM
cmt

matrimoniale

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:05 AM
adventuretwin

Would someone please define a single and double room. Thanks.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Rex

A single room is for one person. It might have one "twin bed", one "double bed" which could be a "standard", queen or king - - which in turn might be two twins pushed together and made up as one bed (even though I have seen them still with two separate headboards and/or footboards). a single room might even have two bed, although often this will bear the expression "double room for use as a single".<BR><BR>A double room is a room for two people. It might have all the same bed combinations as listed above for a double room, except, of course, it would never have just one twin bed.<BR><BR>A twin room virtually always means a room with two beds for two people, regardless of the size of the beds.<BR><BR>Beds are often quoted with exact centimeters dimensions. If in doubt, ask the beds dimensions. It will never be viewed as a weird question, asked of a hotel in Europe.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Answer

A single room has a twin bed. A Double will usually have two twins but sometimes a double/queen, which is also called a "matrimonial bed" in some places. <BR><BR>Doubles with twins are usually bigger rooms because two twins take up more space than a double/queen. You may be able to push the twins together, however.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Anser

Rex is wrong. A room with a double bed (or two twins) is a almost always a "double." If only one person uses the room, it is booked at "double, single use," a rate falling between single nd ouble.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Marc David Miller

I can appreciate the ambigous nature of "single" and "double" and "twin". When I was a hotel manager I banned the use of "single" and "double" by my staff. We had people who would want a "single" room for two people, and others who wanted a "double" for one person. To lessen the liklihood of mistakes I told the reservations staff to ask "how many people will be staying with us" and then ask what type of beds they wanted, then what size room. Saved many (but not all) headaches after people checked in.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:14 AM
JB

A few weeks ago in Paris I had a "single" room with a double bed. I believe that the single just means one person will be staying in the room (and charged accordingly). It doesn't always mean you'll get a twin bed, as somebody said above.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Tom

Consensus on this? Impossible to know for sure? Are the centimeters, the number of beds and number of person something that should always be spelled out, for a "double"?<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Dayle

On our last trip, my best friend & I traveled. Since I have a guy's name, I made reservations always requesting 2 beds for 2 people. Sometimes we got twins, sometimes queens. No problem...

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:47 PM
UncleSam

Dayle,<BR><BR>Perhaps it was no mistake that you got the queen bed. After all, nothing like a queen for the "queens".

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Hey

She's an XX queen, you dunce. Her traveling partner is undoubtedly XY, and I don't know how you can draw any conclusions about their sexual orientation.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:18 PM
aaaaaaaaaa

I own a small hotel in Italy and this is the answer:<BR>Single room= one twin bed for one person only. It is illegal to rent a single room to 2 persons. Some single rooms may have a "french bed" also known as a 1 and 1/2. <BR>Double room= one double bed or 2 twin beds for 2 people only. <BR><BR>Double rooms generally have 2 twin beds (joined together in varying fashions to make one double bed if necessary) because some guests want an double bed while others want 2 twins. Having 2 twins in a room makes it easier as the hotelier can accommodate all requests (either one double bed or 2 twins depending on the request)<BR>To make a long story even longer, you will want to request a double room, and if you want a queen sized bed, request it specifically or you may be disappointd. Larger beds (queen and king) are not as common in Italy as in the US and again, 2 twins/1 double is much more practical for hotels and is the norm.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:20 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:49 AM
goldilocks

are we clear on our sleeping arrangements?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:02 PM
sandi

I had an Italian friend tell me how to say a bed for a married couple (hopefully this would mean a larger "queen-size")and a smaller bed for a 12 year old child. This is what I typed each time I sent an email asking for prices.."Una stanza con un letto matrimoniale e un letto per mio figlio di 12 anni con bagno privato."<BR>