The one thing in Italy you MUST do is...

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Neil

The one thing in Italy you MUST do is...

I will be visiting Italy for three weeks in October. I'm planning on visiting Florence, Venice, and Rome. Other ideas....?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Liz

We just returned from a 2 week trip to Italy...Rome, Florence, Venice and Tuscany (we stayed in Siena). We took a day trip to Pompeii. It was well worth the long ride-fascinating. While we were in Tuscany, we drove through the Chianti region. It was a beautiful day and the wineries were fun. But of all the things we did, seeing the original David in Gallerie Academia in Florence was the highlight.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:47 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Have as much gelato as you can.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 09:14 PM
elvira

Try not to be obvious when you ogle the women, and for female tourists, the men. <BR> <BR>Best quote of our trip to Venice "if there was ever a country built for jeans..."

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:25 PM
Karin

My best advice is to allocate some time for getting away from the large cities (although we enjoyed the three you mentioned) and see the countryside and small towns. We went for three weeks also, and the best part of our trip was the unexpectedly charming areas about which we knew nothing--Umbria and the Amalfi Coast. Perhaps it was because it came at the end of a trip filled with gorgeous sites, and perhaps because we had such high expectations, Tuscany did not wow us. One reason I will go to Venice again is the nighttime gondola ride--very romantic. Also, in Venice, the water taxi is a great way to see the city for a small price. In Rome, the Vatican is incredible. Would spend an entire day here and at St. Peter's on our next trip.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Bob

When in Florence you should visit the Uffizi and when in Rome don't miss the Vatican museums. <BR> <BR>bob

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Carey

I second the gelato, plus my favorite appetizer......arancini...........rice balls with cheese, sometimes peas and prociutto in the center......yummy.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Minnywall

When in Florence, take a little trip to Fiesole. Wonderful escape from the city!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Linda R.

From Rome, go to Villa D'Este. It is a spectacular place. There are hundreds of fountains of various sorts and the foliage is gorgeous also. It can be done as a tour paired with Hadrians Villa, but it you can get there on your own, you will be able to spend as much time as you wish before leaving. I could have stayed there for hours photographing all those fountains! <BR>Linda R.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Roger Johnson

If you DO go to Florence, be sure to cross the Arno, walk up the long flight of stone steps to Piazzale Michelangelo and, still farther up, to San Miniato for magnificent views of the city and the Tuscan hills!! Breathtaking!!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Linda

Roger, and I thought I was the only one who had discovered the magnificent view from San Miniato. When we visited the organist was practicing. The view, coupled with the wonderful outpouring of music is a memory I will always treasure.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Diane

We loved it too -- stopped on our way out of Florence and WOW. We spent a good bit of time wandering around the fabulous cemetary behind the church. The monuments were simply astounding and some (I'm thinking of the statues of the soldier and his beautiful wife in formal wear...)tremendously touching.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Howard

Get to know the people of Italy!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Capo

...visit St. Peter's Basilica. <BR> <BR>A guidebook we had said: "<I>Nothing</I> can prepare you for the immensity of this church." It's true. I'm not Catholic (or even religious), but I was moved by the incredible beauty that people can create. This is, quite simply, an astonishing work of design. (St. Peter's Square is also a wonderful work of design -- especially Bernini's gently curving, embracing, rows of columns -- but it's not as breathtaking as the Basilica, especially the interior.) <BR> <BR>And then you can ascend the steps to the top of the magnificent dome, and view all of Rome at your feet seeing, in the distance, the Colosseum and the former Ghetto, testaments to the ugliness that people can create. <BR> <BR>Inspiring, and yet very sobering.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Carol

Everyone's suggestions are excellent...the gelato is a must--every day! <BR> <BR>The highlights of our trip a few months ago were: <BR> <BR>* Michelangelo's David <BR>* Botticelli's at the Uffizi <BR>* St. Peter's in Rome <BR>* Santa Croce in Florence <BR>* Driving through Tuscany <BR>* Views on the Amalfi Coast (Ravello, Positano) <BR>* The spine chilling sound of the bells on Sunday morning in Rome and at noon in San Gimingnano <BR>* The view of Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo is outstanding...but just turn around and you can see Tuscan hills. <BR> <BR>By the way, our favorite tombstone in San Miniato was a young mother with outstretched arms and three little babies at her feet. Definitely worth the walk. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Jean Valjean

Visit Vivoli in Firenze. Often. As much as possible. Any time of the day is good for Vivoli, and it certainly doesn't matter that you already had dessert.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 03:08 PM
mary

Hi: <BR> <BR>Take a day trip from Florence to Siena. <BR> <BR>Mary

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Emma

Ravello on the amalfi coast! <BR>Must see the view at the end of the gardens overlooking the cliffs and bay. <BR>Unbelievable! Most beautiful place in Europe! <BR> <BR>Rome - great place to eat Sunday brunch, Cafe Cafe, near the Colusium.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Capo

I could really kick myself (but I won't!) for spending a bit too much time in Positano, and getting to Amalfi without enough time to take the bus up to Ravello and back, as I've heard nothing but superlatives about Ravello. <BR> <BR>Ah well, just a good excuse for a return trip....

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Book Chick

Savor your favorite coffee drink (or if you aren't into coffee, try lemonade, or something) at Cafe Florian in Piazza San Marco. Just stand for a moment on the Ponte Rialto & enjoy the way the sunlight is hitting the tops of the buildings. Marvel at the works in the Accademia & think of the vision & inspitation it took to produce it. <BR> <BR>In Florence, wander down cobblestone streets, like via Farine. Drink in the atmosphere, it is a tonic to your soul. Smile at your Italian "hosts" while thinking how lucky they are to see this every day. <BR> <BR>Enjoy every moment you can, for not to is truly a sin! <BR>BC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -