Search

Feedback on Eastern Europe and Scandinavia Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on Eastern Europe and Scandinavia Itinerary

Hi Guys,

Myself and 2 mates are in our mid 20's and have 6 weeks in europe in December and January. We are into experiencing the culture and history of the location but also enjoy a good nightlife. As we have all done most of central, south and western Europe, we are planning on concentrating on a bit of eastern Europe (I have already been to Krakow, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Budapest, Libjuana, Croatia, and Vienna) and Scandinavia. At the moment I have decided on the following destinations:

-Krakow (my friends are desperate to go there)
-St Petersburg
-Helsinki
-Stockholm
-Trondheim
-Oslo
-Copenhagen
-Paris (flying out from Paris)

I am also looking at adding maybe 3 or 4 of the following destinations to the list if I have time, and would love to know what you would Recommend:

-Bratislava
-Kiev
-Minsk
-Vilinus
-Riga
-Talin
-Moscow

What would be your recommendations? I know Moscow is meant to be amazing but it is a bit out of the way so I'm wondering if its worth it!

Thanks for any tips!
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 03:26 AM

I am sure you are aware of this but Bratislava isn't really close to any of the other places you are planning on seeing.

Of your list of "other places to see", I would put Kiev and Moscow at the top.

Looking at your initial itinerary, Moscow is very easily doable, especially from St. Petersburg -- either take a cheap flight or overnight on a train.

You'll need a Belarus visa to see Minsk so be sure to factor that into your planning.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Russia now has fast trains between St. Pete and Moscow.

Tallinn is an easy ferry ride from Helsinki. The Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius trio would help lead from Scandinavia to Krakow.

Minsk is about 25 years behind most of the other ex-Iron Curtain countries because it's still part of a totalitarian hole.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Thei sounds like a great trip - but"

Um - it's going to be really, really cold in Russia - and northern Scand (as in long underwear and fur coats cold). I was in St Pet in mid Sept and overnight the highs went from about 60 to the low 40s.

And I hope your CCs have really big limits - since Scand is incredibly expensive.

I would save this trip for May or June when the weather is pleasant and you can enjoy the outdoors.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Check out how early "nightlife" starts. December in Gdansk meant nighttime by 3:15-3:30 pm and your Scandinavian and Baltic destinations are north of Gdansk.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
kja

I agree with nytraveler!

As for Moscow - yes, it is most definitely worth it IMO.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 07:32 PM

I agree with BigRuss

From Tallinn Estonia you can do Riga, the Vilnius and on to Krakow...then to Paris and home
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 09:49 PM

It's been a goal of mine to see The Nutcracker during the Christmas season in either Moscow or St. Petersburg, cold weather be damned.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 10:06 PM

IMO the weather doesn't matter, people live in these places and it doesn't bother them at all. I've spent entire winters in Moscow and Sweden, it's fabulous. Nobody stays indoors, even school kids get to play outside until -15C.
And yes, Moscow is absolutely worth it. Since you need a Russian visa, you might as well go to more than just St Petersburg and there have been fast trains between the 2 cities since forever (and flights). If you take the train, be sure to get off at Novgorod and take a look.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 10:35 PM

Learning the Cyrillic alphabet will help immensely.