Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The new smoking laws, how and where? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-new-smoking-laws-how-and-where-1722065/)

martinthoresen2342 Apr 24th, 2024 05:55 PM

The new smoking laws, how and where?

I've read some articles about the new smoking laws in France, that they were going to ban smoking in parks and all public outdoor spaces at the start of this year. But I've not seen any recent articles about it, the only articles I can find are from last year, and none of them have been very specific.
So, are they in effect now? What does that mean exactly? Is there ANYWHERE left that you can smoke? On the pavement? In plazas? Outdoor seating on cafes? And how strict are they enforcing it? Can you get a fine if you are caught smoking?
Going back there next month, so was just wondering.

bilboburgler Apr 24th, 2024 11:26 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ree-generation

I don't smoke so I don't notice but from what I can see there are also local controls put in place so you may need to be more specific about which cities you are going to.

martinthoresen2342 Apr 25th, 2024 04:16 AM

Just to specify, in case it helps, I'm travelling to the south-west, Toulouse, Albi, and the Aveyron region.

Jean Apr 25th, 2024 09:18 AM

If you're staying in hotels in these places, ask for clarification of local regulations.

I live in a no-smoking U.S. beach town. However, the beach is state property. So, no smoking or vaping allowed in ANY public place, indoor or outdoor, in the town but ok on the beach.

rouelan Apr 27th, 2024 12:26 AM

Despite living in France, I was not aware of this new law...
Doing some research, it appears that the decree enabling to implement it is not ready. No firm date is announced.
Some cities have already implemented smoking bans in selected parks or beaches. From my own observation, the enforcement is quite lenient. In fact, same as for alcool in parks. Many would be surprised to hear that a bottle of wine is not allowed for your picnic in a Parisian park. Would love to hear about someone been fined...

kerouac Apr 27th, 2024 05:07 AM

The alcohol laws in the parks are usually only enforced if there is a risk of public drunkeness (for example, big groups of students). When there is a smoking ban outdoors (and right now that is only by local decree in parks or at beaches or near schools as we await national rules), it is much more likely to be enforced.

alfatherminsulation1 May 7th, 2024 02:45 PM

France has new smoking rules now, especially in places where kids hang out, like parks, playgrounds, and sports areas. Smoking and vaping are off-limits in those spots.

You might still be able to smoke or vape on sidewalks, in plazas, and outside cafes, but they're strict in family areas. Fines can start at 68 euros if you break the rules.

rouelan May 8th, 2024 12:31 AM

Currently, smoking is banned only in enclosed playgrounds. The ban will be extended to the whole area in parks.
regarding fines, throwing a cigarette end on the street could cost 135€. Real life is that 800,000 lbs of butts are collected each year on Paris streets, to be compared with 2,500 fines.

StuDudley May 8th, 2024 06:46 AM

It seems every time we walk past a high school in Paris and it is a break time - students are outside smoking. Any new law against smoking within "N" meters of a school?

Stu Dudley

alfatherminsulation1 May 15th, 2024 06:47 AM

France has new smoking rules now, especially in places where kids hang out, like parks, playgrounds, and sports areas. Smoking and vaping are off-limits in those spots. You might still be able to smoke or vape on sidewalks, in plazas, and outside cafes, but they're strict in family areas. Fines can start at 68 euros if you break the rules. To be safe, watch for "no smoking" signs, ask the locals, and stick to places where it's allowed.

bilboburgler May 15th, 2024 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by alfatherminsulation1 (Post 17562781)
France has new smoking rules now, especially in places where kids hang out, like parks, playgrounds, and sports areas. Smoking and vaping are off-limits in those spots. You might still be able to smoke or vape on sidewalks, in plazas, and outside cafes, but they're strict in family areas. Fines can start at 68 euros if you break the rules. To be safe, watch for "no smoking" signs, ask the locals, and stick to places where it's allowed.

or just quit

StuDudley May 15th, 2024 06:56 AM

""and stick to places where it's allowed.""

I think most people here would flee places where it is allowed.

Stu Dudley

uppsala30 May 15th, 2024 10:02 AM

It would be wonderful if they banned smoking from all outdoor restaurants.

gomiki May 15th, 2024 12:58 PM

This brought up a memory from many years ago. We were in Paris for the first time and in a restaurant on des Champs-Elysees. It was jammed and we managed to find seats at the front away from the haze of smoke. We we were almost finished dining when the charming, handsome French man next to me leaned over and asked if I minded if he smoked. Of course, I said it was fine and thanked him for asking. That was one of the very few times I was asked when it seemed everyone in Paris smoked.

StuDudley May 15th, 2024 01:44 PM

Several years ago, my wife & I were in a mall somewhere in France doing something. We decided to get a quick meal. We asked the waiter for a non-smoking table. We sat down and noticed almost everyone around us was smoking. We asked the waiter about this, and he indicated that the table where we were sitting was their only non-smoking table!! We had a laugh and quickly departed without ordering anything.

Stu Dudley