Reload this Page >

The Mouth of Truth in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:51 AM
vivaldi

I missed this one on the last rip. Looks like a fun stop for a few minutes and a picture or two. Any rants or raves? Where is it located and what is it close to?

The Bocca della Verità (The Mouth of Truth) is an ancient marble mask mounted in the wall under the portico of the church Santa Maria in Cosmedin.

The mask might be an ancient sewer cover or an image of a fluvial deity. For centuries it simply leaned against the outer wall of the chuch, but in 1632 it was mounted under the portico.

Popular legend says that the mask will bite off the hand of liars if they stick it into the mouth of the mask.

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's a fun visit and photo op. There is usually a line of tourists waiting their turn to put their hand in the mouth but it moves fairly quickly and you can be in and out in under 30 minutes. Visit the church of Santa Maria Cosmedin which is very interesting. The Bocca di Verita is located in the church's small front courtyard. You will find it near the Tiber at the intersection of Via Teatro Marcello/Via Petroselli and Via de Grecia/Via del Circo Massimo.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:43 AM
dln

Vivaldi, my parents arrived yesterday. They'll be watching the kids when we go to Italy on Thursday. They brought photos from their trip to Italy, and not a few from their stop to the Mouth of Truth. That thing is huge! I was thinking it would be the size of our modern sewer covers--you know, platter sized. Think culvert sized! It looks really cool.

My father's hand was stuck all the way inside the mouth; my mother's just about a pinkie's length in. She told us quite seriously (but batting her eyelashes all the while) that it would not behoove any happily married woman to tempt fate at the Mouth of Truth.

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:15 AM

Very fun scene at this sight in "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn. Might want to rent it.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:29 AM

The legend of la Bocca della Verita..." Beware, if you hand get stuck inside the mouth, it means that you have lied during the day"...
This remind me of the last time I was in Rome with Brooke my little grandadughter.. She was terrified to go there finally she told me that in the morning she told me a fib..therefore, she was scared that the Mouth will grab her hand...
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 12:11 PM

Santa Maria Cosmedin, a sixth century Byzantine church, was built over the altar of Hercules. Originally was called Santa Maria in Scuola Graeca.It is the oldest Byzantine church in Rome.
A must see, it is a very simple church, with very little mosaic left on the walls.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 12:21 PM

Be careful - I put my hand in amd my Patek Phillipe was ripped off my wrist.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:38 AM

ttt
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:04 AM

The church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin (and the Bocca della Vierta) is located in the same narrow valley that formed the Circus Maximus of ancient Rome. At the far end of the valley, near the Tiber is the location of this church. Across the street are two buildings of Ancient Rome still standing. The round temple of Vesta (there was also a temple to Vesta in the Forum area) and the Temple of Fortuna Virile.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM

KE1TH: That is mistakenly what those 2 ancient bldgs have been called for centuries .
The Temple of Fortuna Virilis is really the Temple of Portunus which was a harbor/river God.
The Temple of Vesta was very likely one of the 3 or 4 Temples of Hercules located in this area.
The ancient Romans believed that this area was where Hercules slept after crossing the Tiber with the cattle he had captured after one of his "Twelve Labors". While sleeping a local fire-breathing monster rustled a few of his cows & bulls and dragged them backwards (so the hoof prints looked like they went the other way) into a cave. He was fooled until he heard one of them moo or something and went and killed the monster and got back his cattle. Regards, Walter
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:49 AM

Yes, the Temple of Vesta, was dedicated to Hercules and was called" Ercule Vincitore" built around the end of the second century AC.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:57 AM

Walter, You are, of course, correct. In my defense, however, I believe I got the incorrect names of those temples from either the Fodors or the Frommers guides. One of the guides even goes into detail of how the round temple compares to it's "sister" temple located in the forum. I guess I'll have to go back soon to beef up my knowledge of Rome

Keith
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:43 PM

Can't recall where I read this but my favorite tale (undoubtedly tall, but perhaps not) regarding the Bocca della Verita is...

A Roman man suspects his wife of having an affair and, to try to determine whether she is, he tells her they are going to visit the Bocca della Verita. Panicky, since she knows why her husband wants to go there, she pulls herself together and places a phone call to her lover. When she and her husband arrive, her lover is waiting nearby. As she walks towards the mouth she feigns fainting and her lover catches her. After "recovering", she walks up to the mouth and places her hand inside.

Her husband asks "Do you have a lover?" and she replies, "The only arms that have ever held me are yours and those of that man over there."

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:27 PM

cute story Capo..
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Capo, I like your style.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Capo, this sounds like it's a story from "The Decameron". They're very witty.

BC
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:36 AM

BC, now I'm curious where I read that tale. I believe it was in a Rome guidebook I have, but the author may have lifted it from "The Decameron."

On one hand, it <i>is</i> a cute story in that it illustrates how clever and creative people can be...especially when their back is to the wall (or, should I say, when their hand is about to be put into a mouth hanging on wall ) But, of course, on the other hand, it's not cute if one thinks cheating isn't cute.