Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The most touristy weekend possible in Rome

Jun 10th, 2019, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I went to see a friend last weekend in Rome and decided that I needed to see all of the traditional sites once again. As an airline employee, I used to go to Rome several times a year because my airline linked the two cities and I did not have to pay anything for the trip. But then I stopped going because other events made it more and more difficult, so I had actually not been to Rome for at least 20 years. Anyway, even though I still have cheap retired airline employee tickets, I preferred to pay for real reservations rather than flying standby this time. Easyjet had round trip tickets for only 95 euros between Paris and Rome, so that was good enough for me.

My friend had an Airbnb apartment in the shadow of St. Peters, which was fantastic except for the fact that I had no desire to return there. I saw it in 1971 for the first time, and took my mother there around 1983, and that was more than enough. But of course I walked past the square every day going to and from the Ottaviano metro station, and there is no denying that it is an impressive sight. Unfortunately, depending on the events taking place, the detour around it can be very large. Oops, I had no idea that Sunday was Pentecost, so everything was closed off for security and it was a huge detour to get around it all.

Nevertheless, I had a great time in Rome seeing all of the places that I had not seen for a great number of years, so I made a photo report of some of the principal sights. I will make other reports about a few details not covered (the Colosseum maybe? Or the Roman Forum?), but this will have to do for a start.

Even though I have no tips on where to go, where to eat or drink or any of that stuff, this might give you an idea of what the places look like... and the crowds that you will face in the summer.

Expert (?) in Paris, ordinary tourist in Rome | Any Port in a Storm
Jun 10th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Thanks for sharing. My DH and I are planning a return trip to Rome to do it all again as well! Nice photos!!
Jun 10th, 2019, 04:36 PM

I always enjoy your reports, Kerouac. Your photos are very evocative.
Jun 10th, 2019, 07:15 PM

Thanks for sharing!
Jun 11th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Looking at your photos, I have to say I am glad we did all the "majors" over 35 years ago.

Giving up all the "fun" of pass riding for 95 euros?

Don't you miss sitting on pins and needles waiting for the aircraft door to close, checking the loads 3 days into a two week vacation, paying for a week car rental and using only five days, and always getting the SSSS boarding pass because you are not allowed to complain?
Jun 12th, 2019, 09:00 AM

Lovely photographs, bringing back memories of our trip which we thoroughly enjoyed.

I didn’t have an issue with the number of tourists in Rome, it just seemed easy to find a quiet corner.