Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The most scenic are of Switzerland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-most-scenic-are-of-switzerland-606162/)

salthegal Apr 8th, 2006 07:23 AM

The most scenic are of Switzerland?

We have a week in Switzerland. Some we will spend in the Jungfrau area. Difficult to make a decision about the rest. We love small villages in the mountains with fabulous views and walks (not treks!)and lots of cable cars to travel from restaurant to restaurant!
All opinions and websites are very welcome.
Thanks
Sally

swandav2000 Apr 8th, 2006 07:31 AM

Hi salthegal,

Sounds to me like you're talking about the Engadin. Small villages: Guada, Soglio, Zuoz, Poschiavo, Sils, Samedan, more than you can name! Lots of walks in the mountains using cable cars.

Do a text search here for any of the names I gave you to see more info. Look especially for posts from "Ingo," who spends a lot of time there. In fact, here's a link to a report of his Oct 05 trip:

www.worldisround.com/articles/229817/index.html

Here's a link to Ingo's travel pages: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a88f9/

Have fun!

s

bob_brown Apr 8th, 2006 07:43 AM

Let me suggest that Swandav is very well informed about the Engadine.
I suggest following his suggestions.

I like the Jungfrau area, and there are many beautiful places to go.

The Engadine may not have the highest mountains, but the surrounding area is spectacular.

Guy18 Apr 8th, 2006 07:46 AM

I just returned from a trip on which I spent a little time in the Engandine, and it was beautiful. Soglio is gorgeous, and I think the Palazzo Salis there would be a great choice for a place to stay. The Via Panoramica and the Via Bregaglia make for great hikes. I did an hours easy walk on the Bregaglia and enjoyed it very much. No signs of cable cars though. Soglio is VERY tiny.

Ingo Apr 8th, 2006 11:32 AM

Yes, the Engadin - the villages in the Lower Engadin (around Scuol) are unspoilt and picturesque. Guarda, Ardez, Sent are absolutely fantastic. Not many cable cars there, though, only a gondola (Scuol) and a chair-lift (Ftan). However, there is a panoramic walk from Guarda via Ardez to Ftan (-Scuol). Easy, and you can catch a train or Postal bus in every village.

The Upper Engadin around ST. Moritz is more touristy - but offers a dozen of cable cars/gondolas. Pontresina (funicular and chair lift) and Sils (cable car) are my favourite villages. In both villages horse-drawn carriages start to scenic, remote, serene valleys (Val Roseg, Val Fex) with lots of restaurants.

More cable cars at the Bernina Pass (beyond Pontresina) and around ST. Moritz (Corviglia, Piz Nair, Signal e.g.).

Other picturesque small towns/villages in the area are Celerina, Samedan, Zuoz. Definitely visit Soglio in the Bregaglia valley (bus) and Poschiavo (Bernina Express train).

The Bernese Oberland is another very scenic part of Switzerland. Other might set it at No. 1 - but I think that just their marketing is better (okay, personal opinion). It is definitely more touristy and you won't find such picturesque villages like Guarda, Ardez, Zuoz, Soglio in the Jungfrau region.

salthegal Apr 8th, 2006 09:31 PM

Thank you so very much. I had felt quite despondent and now I am so excited. Ingo, your trip report and photos are wonderful.Thankyou also for the detail of the food! We are real foodies and had been a bit concerned that Switzerland would not be a gourmet paradise - although I will never forget a deli in Ciavenna 3 years ago with a huge crate of funghi - aaah the smells! We are not big fans of pork and noodles.
We are in Perth in Western Australia.We have a glorious climate and fabulous beaches but we do not have anything even vaguely resembling a mountain and our climate is very dry. So now the decisions are which routes to take and where to stay. The idea of sitting on a balcony looking at an awesome view is most appealing.
I am sure I will have more questions soon!
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Sally

Ingo Apr 8th, 2006 10:12 PM

You're welcome! We will gladly offer help with your itinerary.

Maudie Apr 9th, 2006 12:01 AM

Sally,
We too live in Perth and are having a week in Switzerland, though not until next year. Will keep my eye on your posts.

We look like spending a week in Brienz in an apartment and doing day trips at this stage.

Good luck with your plans.
Maudie

jmw44 Apr 9th, 2006 04:52 AM

What the Engadin lacks in marketing is more than compensated for by the personal comments of swandav and Ingo. You two have probably done more for that region than the entire PR community. I never tire of reading your descriptions and recommendations. J.

taxatty Apr 9th, 2006 07:05 AM

I agree with Ingo and Swandav2000 about the Engadin. You will hear a lot less English there and it doesn't seem as swamped with tourists as the Jungfrau area. You can take the GoldenPass train from Interlaken to Luzern and then to Zurich, another train from Zurich to Chur, and then part of the Bernina Express from Chur to Pontresina--it will take most of a day, but the scenery is spectacular. Pontresina makes a great central base for the area with easy access by bus or train to the other places of interest. The only possible downside of the Engadin is that it is fairly isolated, and a long train trip back to Zurich (or possibly a longer one to Milan) to reach a major airport--but it's worth the trip.