Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The most romantic time you had in Italy was... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-most-romantic-time-you-had-in-italy-was-367530/)

robbiegirl Jan 9th, 2004 09:05 PM

The most romantic time you had in Italy was...

A dinner you will never forget....

If you were able to do it all over again you would...

The one city you were glad you went to was...

Can you kindly fill in the blanks?

mike_b12 Jan 9th, 2004 09:59 PM

It was Venice on a gondola drinking wine and just enjoying the beauty of the city.

Thonglori Jan 9th, 2004 10:25 PM

it will be my wedding -- this coming september in florence. :-)

sneep Jan 10th, 2004 04:52 AM

new year's eve Venice with my family at La Borse and then going back to the Gritti for a late night bottle of champagne in our room.

jmv Jan 10th, 2004 05:14 AM

One of my most unforgettable dinners was actually a lunch--at Harry's Dolci on the Guidecca in Venice. It's right smack on the water with a little bit of grass (a priceless commodity in that water and cement city) white table cloths and crystal gleeming in the sunlight and cloudlike gnocchi in perfect tomato and basil sauce.

The place I'm most glad I went is Positano. We needed to have a place from which to explore the Amalfi coast and I booked us into Positano for two of the 6 nights we'd alloted to the area. My husband took one look at the place and extended for the full 6 nights. We've returned 3 or 4 times since.

If I were able to do it all over again I would always stay focused on the beauty around me and not lose sight of the wonders in small disturbances--try to forget aching feet or a less than perfect hotel room or any other small annoyance and live in the moment rather than than the memories (which almost never include aching feet or less than perfect hotel rooms) Living in the moment makes the memories better

Patrick Jan 10th, 2004 05:24 AM

The town of Polignano di Mari on the Adriatic south of Bari. Staying in the Palazzese Hotel there built into the rock with vaulted stone ceilings and a tiny balcony cantilevered out over the waves. Dinner in the huge cave, open to the sea and a floor of naturally suspended rock with the waves rolling in under us and crashing into the deeper recesses of the cave behind us. Tuxedoed waiters serving incredible grilled fish and great wine by candlelight in this remarkable setting.

Grinisa Jan 10th, 2004 05:31 AM

It's so hard to pick one because we went to Italy on our honeymoon and just about every anniversary since. But it might be a few years ago when we were in Puglia and for one day had all of Hotel Il Melagrano to ourselves. On arrival from the USA, it was about 100 degrees, and when we checked into the hotel at 1pm we were shown the loveliest pool, surrounded by flowers and lemon trees where we swam the afternoon away, all alone.

Statia Jan 10th, 2004 09:58 AM

My husband and I renewing our wedding vows on a gondola in Venice at sunset. Then, taking the private launch to Hotel Cipriani for a fabulous dinner in their outdoor terrace restaurant.

It was truly one of the most special days of my life, and Venice is just magical. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

ambender Jan 10th, 2004 11:55 AM

Venice! Venice! Venice!

Once you step foot off the train into this magical place you'll never again wonder why it's called "La Serenissima" (the serene one).

Amazing and gorgeous. I've seen few things that could ever rival looking out over the lagoon at the setting sun.

I will definitely be going back.

WanderingTexan Jan 10th, 2004 06:27 PM

Positano. It is the only place I have been back to 4 times in a row!

smontroy Jan 11th, 2004 09:53 AM

Best meal was at the BAnfi Wine Estates in Tuscany. You have to arrange your meal ahead of time but it is worth it. You can tour the winery and the location if fantastic.

RAR Jan 11th, 2004 10:06 AM

In Verona, on the Ponte Pietra. Go figure it'd be at night on a bridge ;p

jor Jan 11th, 2004 10:18 AM

A dinner you will never forget....
OK you asked for it. A cafe at Rieva de Garda (spelling). My wife and I got food posioning. She was throwing up in the hotel bathroom while I was throwing up out the hotel window. A dinner we will never forget.