Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The most overrated thing to do in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-most-overrated-thing-to-do-in-paris-577539/)

buzzybuzz Dec 22nd, 2005 02:12 PM

The most overrated thing to do in Paris

What sites did you go to that weren't up to your expectations?

gramercy Dec 22nd, 2005 02:21 PM

Sacre Coeur

jules4je7 Dec 22nd, 2005 02:28 PM

The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.

I had to keep reminding myself these were old old mirrors, and that people when they first saw it had been stuck with looking at their reflections in pools of water and the like up to that point.

Still, it's pretty small and I wasn't that impressed.

When I went back in September with my Mom & Aunt, I saw they were doing some restoration on the Hall of Mirrors, which has to be a good thing.

Despite that disappointment, I think everyone should see Versailles once -- and wander as deep into the gardens as you can.

beachbum Dec 22nd, 2005 02:31 PM

If you go without expectations, you'll find nothing is overrated.

mclaurie Dec 22nd, 2005 02:33 PM

Many people are underwhelmed by the Mona Lisa. There's such hype you almost expect an out of body experience and the reality is, mob scene, can't get very close. Make sure to see the less famous things at the Louvre. The building itself is amazing.

dina4 Dec 22nd, 2005 02:36 PM

great question, Buzzybuzz! There is SO much to do in Paris, and those of us who have limited time really have to pick and choose...
I'm trying to plan my own trip and am running out of days!

Gramercy- Do you mean the inside of the church Sacre Coeur, or the view from Sacre Coeur and experience of the area?

thit_cho Dec 22nd, 2005 02:45 PM

Ice cream at Berthillon (its no better or worse than other top ice creams around the world)

FainaAgain Dec 22nd, 2005 02:56 PM

Is falling in love in Paris overrated?

suze Dec 22nd, 2005 03:18 PM

I'm with beachbum on this one. Have no expectations is a golden rule of traveling for me.

I go with an open mind, no itinerary, and try to keep preconceived notions to a minimum. That way there will not be anything that is a dissapointment.

vedette Dec 22nd, 2005 03:27 PM

The most overrated thing in Paris is Rick Steves when he is in town. Sorry, couldn't resist, it seems as if no one has bashed Rick for days.

nancy Dec 22nd, 2005 03:30 PM

The only place/thing I was unimpressed with was Berthillon - same ice cream you can get almost everywhere (but Italy/Switzerland had the best). However, it's a neat island to walk around.

Sure, you'll be underwhelmed with a few things (the Mona Lisa is a very small portrait but who doesn't want to see it?).

Paris met more than my expectations. There's so much to see and if you're not impressed with one thing just move down the street.

P_M Dec 22nd, 2005 03:51 PM

The Seine dinner cruise. The food was good but way overpriced. Instead I recommend a boat ride at night to see the sights, then have dinner somewhere else.

martytravels Dec 22nd, 2005 04:06 PM

The Sacre Coeur itself is very nice and the view of the world's greatest city is fantastic, but that part of Montmartre around the church is a tacky theme park.
The Champs Elysees isn't nearly as elegant as I thought it would be before my first visit to Paris. It's loaded with mid-range chain stores.
Other than that, little in Paris disappoints.

dina4 Dec 22nd, 2005 04:39 PM

So if you had to choose between walking around Monmartre and the Marias, which would you choose?

martytravels Dec 22nd, 2005 04:44 PM

Marais, no contest. It's a very cool 'hood and very eclectic. It's got everything from the grand Hotel de Ville, the stately Place des Vosges, Jewish delis, streetside gay bars, kebab stands, little groceries, bookstores - it's so eclectic and so full of life.
The part of Montmartre between the Abbesses metro station and the Sacre Coeur is very nice and has Parisian flavor, but I much prefer the Marais.

tomboy Dec 22nd, 2005 04:51 PM

Eating macaroons at that little store east of the Sorbonne

Travelnut Dec 22nd, 2005 06:33 PM

"...So if you had to choose between walking around Monmartre and the Marias, which would you choose?..."

Actually, must one choose? These two areas are quite different and parts of the Marais can be quite touristy and overtrodden as well. Montmartre is quite scenic if one leaves Place du Tertre behind (actually the Place is interesting for people-watching) and wanders the back streets. See if you can find the other two 'moulins'...

worldinabag Dec 22nd, 2005 07:52 PM

Hi

Rue Cler. What's all the hype about?

beachbum Dec 22nd, 2005 08:33 PM

buzzybuzz,
One of the underlying points to my earlier post is that, if this thread stays up long enough, you will probably read that every major attraction in Paris is overrated. What do you do then? You might just be left with sitting in a sidewalk cafe with a bottle of wine and plate of cheese, watching the world go by. Hmmmm.... maybe yours isn't such a bad question after all!

SusanP Dec 22nd, 2005 08:42 PM

When I opened this thread, I was surprised to see Sacre Coeur as the first answer. I guess everyone has different perceptions. Sacre Coeur is one of my favorite things! Inside, I think the blue and gold design in the dome is gorgeous, plus there are mosaics along both sides of the church.

And I realize that many think that Place du Tertre is touristy, but I enjoyed watching the artists and deciding which artist's style I liked best to have my portrait done. Touristy? Yes. A great momento from a great trip? Absolutely!