THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGES IN FRANCE!!

Jun 30th, 1998, 08:42 AM
CARLOS

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGES IN FRANCE!!

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A FEW VILLAGES WORTH VISITING?
I HAVE HEARD OF A FEW BUT HAS ANYONE HAVE BEEN THERE. I'M VISITING FRANCE FOR 10 DAYS IN SEPTEMBER AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF ANY OF THESE VILLAGES.

Jun 30th, 1998, 10:34 PM
JF Clay

There is a distinction for the most beautiful villages in france. I don't know where from!
There is a beautiful book in french "Les plus beaux villages de France" If I remember it is edited by Reader's Digest but i am not sure.

There doesnt seem to be a global list but if you look in search engines on Internet with "plus beaux villages de france" you will find a few sites.
I tried on Yahoo.fr and on altavista
Most of the sites are in French but some are translated.
These villages are spread all over France and are protected from architecture point of view.
(i am going on holiday for four weeks from 7/6 but if your request is not urgent, do not hesitate to mail for more details)
jfc

Jul 1st, 1998, 01:45 AM
greg

Some of my favourites would be:
Honfleur - a fishing harbour surrounded by village on 3 sides. Narrow buildings up to 7 storeys high
Rocamadour, La Roque-Gageac & Domme - near Sarlat, in the Perigord. Sarlat is not a village but is well worth a visit.
St Cirque-la-Popie - on the Lot river, east of Cahors
Riquewihr (and a host of others) in Alsace, west of Strasbourg and Colmar
Vezelay - with magnificent basilica, in Burgundy
Seguret, Gordes, Roussillon - in Provence

There are countless picturesque villages in most areas, these are just ones that I know and like.

"The Most Beautiful Villages of France" is by Dominique reperant and is published by Thames & Hudson. Another good book (and much cheaper) is "Discovering the Villages of France" by Michael Busselle, published by Pavilion Books

Greg

Jul 3rd, 1998, 07:36 AM
Joe Harrington

My family and I lived in Barcelona for six months last year and we spent many weekends in southern France. My favorite village was Cordes-sur-Ciel which is about 90 minutes northeast of Toulouse. Beautifully situated in the countryside, it is an exceptionally fine walled village that is a home for artists and artisans. Another favorite is Villefranche-en-Conflent which has an amazing view of the Pyrenees and is also a walled village. You can tour the ramparts and, in addition, there is a fort up the hill. Two other favorites were Castlenou and Prats-de-Mollo.

Jul 4th, 1998, 09:20 AM
chris

One amazing tiny village is Lyon-la-Foret in Normandy, one the way from Paris to Rouen. Definitely worth a visit; we luckily stumbled upon it by chance.