Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   the most amazing and unusual place, you have ever been to? just like it is not from this world (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-most-amazing-and-unusual-place-you-have-ever-been-to-just-like-it-is-not-from-this-world-270695/)

alice Nov 4th, 2002 07:28 AM

the most amazing and unusual place, you have ever been to? just like it is not from this world

describe places you have been to ,which where just that surprising, amazing, wonderfull, unusual ,heavenly.that you will never forget them in your entire life.<BR>it would be nice to share that experience with you

Alise Nov 4th, 2002 08:06 AM

You should go first Alice<BR><BR>Las Vegas, USA- surprising, what do people find amazing about it?<BR><BR>Unusual,unheavenly I will never forget it in my entire life. I will always keep in mind-do not go there. Ever<BR>

orgy7 Nov 4th, 2002 08:09 AM

a certain show on Patpong rd in Bangkok. unfortunatly I cant share it here..

Bob Nov 4th, 2002 08:12 AM

Hard to say. A few come to mind that were very enjoyable.<BR><BR>KUSADASI, Turkey and the visit to EPHESUS. The ruins there are magnificient and very interesting. You really appreciate what went on thousands of years ago.<BR><BR>MOOREA. The Sheraton Hotel on this island has done a great job with their location and the rooms that are build over the water. Very relaxing trip, no golf courses or shopping malls. <BR><BR>XIAN. The Terra Cotta warriors. Hard to believe all this work was done for one man. The restoration work in progress and what they have already found is well worth the long trip to get there.<BR><BR>VENICE. If you have not seen Venice at least one time, your travels are not complete. <BR><BR>TOO MANY CATHEDRALS IN EUROPE TO LIST. These churches that were built so many years ago with no modern equipment still serve as testament to mankind. I still am in awe of how many there are and how great they are.<BR><BR>KYOTO.

uncle sam Nov 4th, 2002 08:18 AM

Glen Coe, Scotland...the most eerily awesome place I've been!<BR><BR>US

elaine Nov 4th, 2002 08:21 AM

I haven't been as many different places as I &quot;should&quot; because I tend to want to go back to the places I already love.<BR><BR>Like Bob, I have to say Venice.<BR>I remain unswayed by the high prices and the crowds and the tourist traps and the complaints that are to be found there. <BR>For me the architecture and the history and the churches and the light and the canals and the unique combination of beauty plus deterioration, are truly not like anywhere else in the world.<BR>

Mary Nov 4th, 2002 08:25 AM

Alise,<BR> What happened to you in Vegas?

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Nov 4th, 2002 08:40 AM

Santorini blew me away.

alice Nov 4th, 2002 09:03 AM

hi uncle sam, you are right glencoe is a unique place.

Marilyn Nov 4th, 2002 10:31 AM

Angkor Wat and the other temples in the area.<BR><BR>Surrounded by gray whales in San Ignacio Lagoon, Baja.<BR><BR>Several places whose names I do not know on islands in the Sea of Cortez.<BR><BR><BR>

John G Nov 4th, 2002 10:48 AM

Sri Lanka, Kathmandu, Benares, going down the Siem Riep River in Cambodia in a canoe, riding elephants at Chitwan, watching people crawl on their knees at Fatima.

orgy7 Nov 4th, 2002 11:04 AM

I was trusting my memory too keep my travel archives but I guess I should take more pics.<BR>I rememberd some more after reading some of previous posts<BR><BR>-Petra, jordan, ancient city carved in rock.. (its in raiders of the lost ark)<BR><BR>

RnR Nov 4th, 2002 11:08 AM

Venice, coming in by boat from Marco Polo - and recently, early morning game drives in Botswana (Okavango Delta), where the light is pale yellow against palm islands and white salt pans. It taxes all the senses simply to take in what is there. Thanks for an interesting question.

michele Nov 4th, 2002 01:04 PM

Capodoccia, Turkey.

Julie Nov 4th, 2002 04:23 PM

Here goes...not in any particular order...<BR><BR>Seville, Barcelona, the Taj Mahal on a night with a full moon, Penang, Malaysia, Kyoto, Mt. Rainer when the sun's out, the Ho Rainforest, Venice, Paris, the Alhambra, Nerja caves, the Impressionist room at the Met, the Japanese temple in Oahu, Benares, Jerusalem, and home (outside Seattle).

Jo Nov 4th, 2002 04:44 PM

The Dead Sea - strange, heavy atmosphere, even late at night the air seemed thick. Floating on the sea was amazing and left a weird film on the body.<BR><BR>Sorry Orgy7, but Petra was in &quot;Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade&quot; - I only mention this in case people go looking for it in the wrong film.

Sherry Nov 4th, 2002 04:48 PM

Northern Kauai in Hawaii is paradise on earth.

Sally Nov 4th, 2002 07:53 PM

Civita de Bagnaregio near Orvieto- an astonishing tiny hilltown (population around 15) surrounded by a ravine<BR><BR>Chenenceau- really beautiful chateau built across a river in the Loire Valley<BR><BR>Keukenhof Gardens in April- the tulips are more beautiful than they are in photos<BR><BR>Seeing Mont San Michel from a distance

Sally Nov 4th, 2002 07:56 PM

one more- seeing the huge dream-like Chagall painting on the ceiling of the Opera Garnier, the old opera house in Paris

donna Nov 4th, 2002 08:08 PM

In a word....Zermatt magical