Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

the London job search 101 - how it's going so far....

Nov 7th, 2001, 10:49 AM
beth anderson

Hi all,

checking my emails in a caf in the hopes that more of my contacts have found me on email... I have started setting up actual 'dates'. tomorrow is my BIG DAY (the main interview) and I also have an information meeting set up for tomorrow too. you'll see me lurk here occasionally as I have to stay plugged into email.

first item of business - I bought a cell phone. you can get those pay as you go types - 80 pounds for a nice phone with all sorts of options and you buy the cards in ten pound increments. punch in the phone card number, and you are 'topped up' to ten pounds... 25p for the first three minutes, and 5p a minute after. not too bad...

I met Kavey today for lunch and we'll probably meet up again next week... Kavey, it was very nice to meet you!

and tomorrow is my BIG DAY! the first interview.

I have met SO many cool people here... everyone talks to you! in DC I have many friends but I seem to find that people are more reticent to just talk to strangers. not so here - I have even had perfect strangers talk to me on the tube! this one guy said 'you seem to know a bunch about the UK, we'll have to make you an honorary Brit'. LOL

I also will be searching for a flat. I already have one contact for that - some people I met and chatted with for an hour in a coffee shop has a friend who is looking for a flat mate. so we'll see what goes on there...

another item which may be helpful to y'all - I bought a railpass discount card, good for rail trips (not tube). you get a third off rail prices, for 15 MONTHS with this card. 20 pounds. only works in the more=or-less southest - Cambridge, Oxford, and all the way to Exeter/Dover. Bath is not included but a lot of other towns are - Brighton too. Good for those who might be back many times in a year.

whew, gotta run. have fun everybody!

Beth

ps. later I will tell you how Virgin made me a pretzel. me personally, not the food. (actually it's my own fault.)

Nov 7th, 2001, 12:36 PM
wendy

Beth, how exciting!! Good luck with your interview! Sounds like you are super positive and having a smashing good time (that's my bridgette jones english for you!)Can't wait to hear about the Virgin pretzle!! haha!

Nov 7th, 2001, 12:41 PM
kavey

Beth
Ditto!
Hope the interview goes/ went well (depending on when you read this again) and to meet up again while you are here...
Kavey

Nov 7th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Maira

Beth, best of luck, girl! I'll say a little prayer for you!!

Nov 7th, 2001, 01:06 PM
kk

Beth, all the best for your BIG day tomorrow. You know we are all rooting for you! kk

Nov 7th, 2001, 02:51 PM
cdf

Best of luck Beth, can't wait to hear what happens next! ~C

Nov 7th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Thyra

...(I am chanting for you) Beth will succeed....Beth will succeeed.....Beth will succeed....
Beth will succeed......Beth will get the job....Beth will get the job....Beth will get the job......

Nov 7th, 2001, 05:52 PM
s.fowler

And a big woooooooooooo hoooooooooo to for Beth

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Mel

Oh, Beth, I'm SO happy you're there and doing it and charging ahead and I can't wait to hear more about your job search, where you end up living, etc. If this thread gets lost, please take down my e-mail address and write me!
Mel

Nov 8th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Miriam

Beth,

I wish you luck for today...
I`ve sent you an email to two of your addresses about the contacts I made for you in London. If you didn`t get it just tell me.

Miriam

Nov 8th, 2001, 10:30 AM
beth anderson

Hi everyone,

the interview went quite well if I say so myself. they want me to meet the general counsel for the UK. the only wrinkle NOW is the fact that they are having budget issues, the director badly badly wants someone NOW but they have to re-convince the higher ups that they have a dire need for this.

so he said optimistically they would start someone in January, assuming everything else worked out.

I am getting QUITE the full calendar. I had another info interview today, very nice lady who will circ my resume at BT for me, I have a 'american women attorneys' monthly meeting to attend Monday night, Tues night out with Kavey, Wed night out with another friend, and as for tomorrow/Sat/Sun - not sure yet what I am doing, probably hanging out with either Jon or William (I am staying with Jon, and William is the friend I met here 5 years ago).

and I am filling up other daytime slots as well. yikes. well, it was going to be a WORKING vacation - so I am doing a little of both.

so it's been A FULL past couple of days. quite full.

the virgin pretzel: my fault really, I had two seats to stretch out in so I curled into the fetal position, with my feet bracing against the armrest so I wouldn't have my feet out in the aisle - surprisingly enough the attendants had no problem with that BUT they insisted I wear the seat belt. so I stretched it as far as I could and wrapped it around my waist and curled up. OUCH.

more later, must dash..

thanks for all the great vibes! I think it really helped..

Beth

Nov 8th, 2001, 10:37 AM
John H

Hi, Beth,

Thanks for the updates. Continued good luck on your interviews and meetings.

I understand the pretzel thing -- it works very well with 3 open seats (can use the seat belt from the middle seat to get it around you in a way that is not too debilitating; two seats, however, would be very difficult!

All the best,

John H

Nov 8th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Cathy

Beth,

Best of luck with the interviews and when you get settled email me and we might be able to meet up either side of the Irish side,

Cathy