The Little Mermaid swims away...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hoped next summer I will finally see her! NOPE She's going to Shanghai!

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/conte...d_to_shanghai#

(scroll down)

"Copenhagen City Council voted to send her far away from home to be staged in the Danish pavilion at the world exhibition EXPO in Shanghai from April - November 2010."

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Just watch the Disney movie. lol
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM

She ain't very impressive. Seriously. As the Dane's say: "If she was bigger, she wouldn't be the Little Mermaid". I honestly don't see the appeal. It is a dull sculpture of little artistic merit. The movie is, in all seriousness, a more worthy artistic achievement.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM

second that.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Third.

It's a tiny little statue barely a long step away form the shore. Good for about a 2 minute view.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Or change your flight to Shanghai.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM

You aren't missing much my dear. You can touch her, she's close to the shore but you have to go down an embankment. There was about a foot and a half of snow on the ground when I was there, and it was about 20 degrees and it was icy. There was no way I was going down that slope to have my picture taken with her. With my luck, I would have slide down the bank and shot right into the canal.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

LOL KY, sure!

It's just a sentimental memory for me, my uncle had a post card with the mermaid, no idea why and how it got into the rural russian town, just my childhood memory.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I actually enjoyed my stroll out to see the Little Mermaid when I was in Copenhagen and can understand your mild dismay Dayenu.

No matter what its artistic value might (or might not) be, I was (and still am) pleased at having seen this world famous landmark for myself and your family 'connection' makes it all the more understandable.

For better or worse it's an internationally recognised landmark and people will always want to see it, clearly 70 million Chinese folk can't be wrong.

I guess it's an excuse for you to book another trip when it's back in town!
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Copenhagen in August 2010. I know, I know, it's the worst month but I don't have a choice. I want to take a cruise along Norway coast, crossing the polar circle, and the only one I can find that is convenient: price, days off work, is the one in August, a round-trip from Copenhagen.

Are the Vikings as dangerous in August as in September?
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Always wanted to visit Copenhagen to see the Little mermaid and did so last July. I loved it.

When I was a child in Ireland in the fifties I saw the Danny Kaye film Hans Christian Anderson and vowed that one day i would visit "wonderful wonderful Copenhagen".
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM

I agree that the little Mermaid is unimpressive. I understand why you want to see her, but, you're not missing anything.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

I will get some mermaid cards, mail them asking "wish you were here?" so nobody will ask me if I actually saw her

Darn, those flights are expensive! When is the better time to make air reservations? Like 4-6 months in advance?
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Oh, Dayenu, what luck I stumbled across this. I will be in Shanghai to visit the World Expo, have tickets for Oct 30, 2010. I promise to check out the Little Mermaid on your behalf. We were in Brussels last week, the Pee Boy was tiny, a couple of feet tall, the chocolate image of him in the store across the street was life-size, just no pee ...
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
P_M

Dayenu, for those of us who have seen the Mermaid we know you aren't missing anything. But it does stink when you go somewhere and you don't see such a famous landmark. For example, I've been to Berlin but I never saw the Brandenburg Gate. Why not? I'm glad you asked. No, it was not on a trip to China. But it was in scaffolding and the scaffodling was completely covered with a tarp. So I couldn't even see it thru scaffolding!! So while you are not missing much, I can understand your disappointment.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

"the chocolate image of him in the store across the street was life-size, just no pee" - now this is a major disappointment

P_M, a similar thing almost happened to me - in Zurich there is a church with Chagall's windows - it was covered with scaffolding when I was there! At least I saw them from the inside.

Oh, well, there will always be Tivoli, and I'm going on the cruise I've dreamt about for several years! Just don't tell me they are running out of herring
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:23 AM

At least this time the Little Mermaid's disappearance is planned - has been decapitated in the past i believe by vandals.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM

I had a couple of kinds of herring every morning for breakfast when I was there. So delicious!!!!! I think they will still have some Dayenu...not to worry, well unless I ate it all. Nah!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
P_M

Actually the are sending all of the herring to Shanghai for the expo....
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Palenque, this is from Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(statue)

This statue has been damaged and defaced many times since the mid-1950s for various reasons, but has each time been restored. In 2007, Copenhagen officials announced that the statue may be moved further out in the harbour, as to avoid further vandalism and to prevent tourists from climbing onto it.

24 April 1964 – the statue's head was sawn off and stolen by politically oriented artists of the Situationist movement, amongst them Jørgen Nash. The head was never recovered and a new head was produced and placed on the statue.
22 July 1984 – her right arm was sawn off. The arm was returned two days later by two young vandals.
1990 – another attempt was made to cut her head off, which resulted in an 18 cm deep cut in the neck.
6 January, 1998 – she was decapitated again[3], the culprits were never found, but the head was returned anonymously to a nearby TV station, and on 4 February the head was back on.
Red paint has been thrown on her several times, including one episode in 1961 where her hair was painted red and a bra was painted on her.
11 September 2003 – the statue was blasted off its rock, possibly with dynamite.[4]
In 2004, it was draped in a burka as a statement against Turkey joining the European Union.[5]
March 8, 2006 – a dildo was attached to the statue's hand, green paint was dumped over it, and the words March 8 were written on it. It is suspected that this vandalism has something to do with International Women's Day (which is on March 8).[6]
March 3, 2007 – the statue was again covered with pink paint.[7]
May 2007 – the statue was covered with paint by vandals.[8]
May 20, 2007 – it was found draped in a Muslim dress and head scarf.[9]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -