Search

Oyster Cards in UK

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oyster Cards in UK

Confused about what all I have read.

Family of five in UK to see sights for four days.
I think I need to get 5 cards....how much should I load on each ?

Easiest place to purchase?
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:30 AM

You would need one for each, but depending on the ages of the people in the family, it may be cheaper to get annother kind of card for the younger ones (I'm sure someone will post info related to that as i've seen it on other threads)

the best place to get it is the first tube station you go to, and go to the ticket office (not the automated machines)

the daily max is 5GBP per person, so load it with 20GBP each. You get any money not used back at the end if you hand in your pass (you also get the 3GBP deposit back at that time too)

the people at the ticket office are extreemly helpful (they were to me anyway).
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
yk

Where in UK?

Oyster card is only good for London.

When will you be going?

How old are the children (if any)?
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Well they are not children,,,,teens 21,19 & 16 so all considered adults.

SO I can just buy when I hit the tube for first travel? Glad to know they are helpful...I am worried about asking too many questions once I get there.

WE are thinking of taking a daytrip to Huningdon from Kings Cross...
Best way to purchase those tickets?
Have family there wanting to get a quick visit in...

Good to know and thanks!

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM

If you intend doing touristy things in London, then a better option for 5 adults would be PAPER travelcards as they allow you to use the offers on www.2for1entry.co.uk

You can save the cost of a travelcard just by going to the Tower of London
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Where can you buy the paper travel cards?
Can you have them delivered before departure?
Thanks
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Yes, please explain where to get the papercards. The two for one sounds great!
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Here's my question on this whole topic...

Tfl is committed to pushing oyster cards...how have they allowed a firm to organize a scheme that doesn't at least give equal standing to its pet project the oyster card.

Being single, this whole thing, of course, doesn't affect me....the oyster card is so superior to the paper ticket that it as if the two are on completely different planes...the 7 day thing is about the same whether it is on paper or on oyster although extensions are far simpler on oyster...

But for one day things...well just look at the math (2 for 1 aside of course)....if your intention on a day is to take one simple return (round trip) on the tube, your choice would be a one day off peak travelcard for £5.30 but one return on the tube with oyster is only £3 and you can change your mind...you might wish to take the bus back so your outlay for the day is £2.50 on oyster....you don't have to commit early in the morning what you're gong to do that day and no matter how many times you use oyster, as long as your first trip is after 0930 on weekdays but anytime on a weekend, the most it will cost for the day is £4.80, 50p less than a paper travelcard and if one a morning you start out with every intention to use the tube at least once during the day and buy the one day travelcard well it's what it is namely £5.30...if I end up just using buses, I don't have to adjust my plans...at the end of the day it's £3 at most...I can rest assured that I will always get the best value for my money with oyster over a paper travelcard...no queuing up each morning for a new travelcard for that day...(see the queues at some stations as 0930 approaches at some stations)...0930 comes and onto the tube or bus I go.

But I will admit this 2 for 1 stuff does complicate matters a bit, doesn't it.

So tfl, where are you...how are you letting your pet project be trumped so.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM
yk

<b>joebear</b> &amp; <b>andabanda</b>
REad this thread regarding paper travelcards and where to get them:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35129357
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM

I'm going to speak about my PLANS not my EXPERIENCE, and experience trumps all amount of reading, so feel free to correct/adjust what I say here:
After lots of reading, my plan for our 2 week stay in London is to buy the Oyster card upon arrival at Heathrow, load it up with maybe 25 pounds. I am also planning on arriving with 2for1 vouchers printed for everything I might possibly want to use them for.

For our days in London, we will have a plan for each day's itinerary; if our day's plans will take us to places where the 2for1 offers are valid, then our first stop will be a tube station ticket window where we will buy 1-day paper travel cards. (I've done the math and on 2for1 days, I only have to ride the tube one time to make the savings worth the purchase of the 1 day card instead of using my Oyster that day.) All the rest of the time, if we won't be going to anyplace that takes 2for1 vouchers, then we will use the Oyster and top it up when/if we need to. (We plan to walk a lot and take 5 day trips via bus or train, so we will probably only use 1-day tickets 2-3 days.)

Does this help you? I think the homework part is to compare your list of things you want to see and do with the 2for1 lists and plan your days with that in mind. And know that on the days you plan to see those 2for1 things, you'll be better off to have the paper 2for1 cards.

So if you're going to use 2for1 stuff every day for 7 days in a row, then a 7 day card is good-you just may need the paper one, not one loaded on an Oyster (there seems to be different experiences concerning this). If you're going to do 2for1 stuff 3 days in a row, then the 3 day paper cards are a better deal than separate 1-day ones.

I believe the paper cards are only good for the day they're issued, so you can't get them ahead.

Anyway, I'm planning on saving money this way, but it does take some planning.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM

texasbookworm,

I, too, am speaking from planning, not experience, but I'm not sure that the plan will work. If I understand correctly, the &quot;paper&quot; ticket needs to be National Rail, not a tube ticket. Hopefully someone with more experience will enlighten us both. If you are correct, it is a good idea, especially since I am not traveling until November and have time to plan it out.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1055.aspx

according to this site, 1 and 3 day tickets are valid on tube and National Rail (excluding Heathrow Express) and from what I gather the 2for1 things need the National Rail emblem to be on the ticket. From 2005 my 3 day pass had that emblem; my 1 day pass didn't. But according to that site I posted, both 1 and 3 day one are the same, and should have said emblem.

HELP! So somebody look at a current 1-day ticket and tell me if it really has the National Rail little emblem on it, along with underground emblem. ???Thanks--A
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

yk

I have read that post twice and I am still confused. Seems like too much information or conflicting accounts.

We are regular tourists...going to popular sites three days....What to do?

So do I buy 5 oyster cards or do I get the travel cards with the 2 for 1? OR both?
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM

I have to admit I am having great success in London with the paper travelcard.

The 7-day paper travelcard cost us 24 pounds each, so that works out to just over 3 pounds each per day, of unlimited travel within zones 1 and 2, plus we do NOT have to travel at off-peak times (after 9:30 weekdays). Often tourists want to be out and about before 9:30 in the morning.

Because we purchased the paper travelcard, from the rail station at Victoria, we can take advantage of the Days Out 2for1 offers. As long as your paper travelcard is valid for that day, you can take advantage of the 2for1 offers that day. So we can do the 2 for 1 offers any of our 7 days.

I like having not to plan in advance, just going as the mood strikes us, not worrying about cost, because our paper travelcards are pre-paid and give us so much flexibility - to use bus, rail, or underground.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Thank you all for the great advice! Without your tips the cost of this trip would be much higher. Cost saving is really important this time; my college student son is traveling with his friends. They would like to take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers and I already printed the vouchers.
By now, thanks to this forum and posts, I know that the paper travel cards are only available at rail stations. Can they get them at Heathrow or they have to go to one of the railway stations in London?
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Paper TCards are available at every tube and train station i believe

whether or not having the national rail logo on them makes them only work for 2 for 1 is not clear after reading many posts on this that say just a paper travel card is needed - nothing to do with national rail (but i don't know)
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM

and don't all paper TCards have the national rail logo on them - meaning they can be used on rail lines like the First Cap One thing that runs thru mid London or on other suburban trains within bounds of London

seems they all have the Tube, Bus (or TfL) logo and national rail on them.

waiting to find out
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM

&gt;&gt;WE are thinking of taking a daytrip to Huningdon from Kings Cross. Best way to purchase those tickets?&lt;&lt;

Judging by www.nationalrail.co.uk, you can leave buying tickets till you're here: they're quoting cheap day returns for two days from now. I'd suggest buying at Kings Cross the day before you travel, if only to avoid queues on the day. But you can check times and fares for yourself.

&gt;&gt;Tfl is committed to pushing oyster cards...how have they allowed a firm to organize a scheme that doesn't at least give equal standing to its pet project the oyster card.&lt;&lt;

Because we don't live in a dictatorship, and TfL does not have a monopoly on rail travel in and to London. There are other railway companies who have an interest in getting people to use offpeak trains over much longer distances than the TfL area. TfL is hardly in a position to dictate the terms of their commercial operations, except at most by refusing to do any deals with them over travelcards at all, which is not going to help anyone.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Ok, I have been reading and reading.It is a little clearer but I am still confused.
We are staying in Bloomsbury on Gower Street(I think close to Goodge station). We are arriving in London at Heathrow Airport. We will be in London for 9 days.
So, I will get an oyster card to travel into London? Then go???where is closest location?? to get the 7 day paper travel card?? I will do you 2 for 1 deals within the 7 days and use the oyster the rest of the time and for getting back to Heathrow.??
I am sure you all are getting tired of repeating this for everyone!!! but thanks!!
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM

hendrenl,
It seems like you have different options, and that everyone may have their own preference.

Right now we are in London for 9 days. We ended up getting a 1-day paper travelcard for the first day (and we got a special price thanks to GroupSave - 3 or 4 people can travel for the price of 2).

Then we got 7-day paper travelcards from the rail station (so we could take advantage of the 2for1 deals offered by Days Out.

On our last day, we are going to take a taxi to the rail station, and get another GroupSave discounted ticket (paper travelcards)to take us to the airport.

You can see more in my other post (Tears of Frustration over London Transit):
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35129357

We are doing extremely well without an oyster card at all - but read the other posts and see if you feel there is a need for it in your particular situation.