The Language of Love in Europe

Jan 9th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

The Language of Love in Europe

This isn't going to be nearly so sexy a post as you might have imagined, but at least you opened up the thread!

A writer who works with me has an assignment to write an article on "The Language of Love" in various corners of the world. The "assignment letter" giving her the go-ahead to write this article somehow got lost in the mail for a bit, and just arrived today. The article is due Monday.

Here's what she's looking for: "The language of love: how we say ?I love you? around the world. Not only what words we use to say I love you (possibly including some cute slang expressions) but also the styles in which people ask someone for a date, express love, propose, etc.

NOT looking for foreign phrases (which the majority of US-based readers would not understand) but rather for English-language explanations/translations of appropriate expressions, customs, traditions, etc. Cuteness counts, but so does weirdness or anything else that is going to seem distinctly ?different? to a US audience."

Anyone care to help out by offering some ways in which European "love behavior" differs from that in the USA?
Jan 9th, 2004, 04:49 PM

I have had two love affairs with Italians living in Italy, both of them wrote love poetry to me.
The first one wrote a love poem while my husband of the time and I were having dinner with a friends, including him, at a restaurant. I watched him writing then he slipped the poem to me. The marriage was on the rocks anyway and he helped to topple it over.
The second one, many years later wrote me a love poem that was so beautiful and had many references to our own experiences together so I know he didn't copy it from somewhere.
I have yet to receive such heartfelt poems from an American man.

Jan 9th, 2004, 04:55 PM

There's no such thing as I love you in Japan, they say something like: You are the sun, the moon and the stars to me. I know it's not Europe but I like it.
Jan 9th, 2004, 06:22 PM
cmt

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic on the AboutCom Italian Language forum, which s/he might find via a search on that forum. Some started out as straightforward language questions (how to say "I love you," etc.), but then drifted into rambling discussions about the traditional mores and current fads of dating, romance, and expressing love in Italy, and some were just posted as off-topic casual cultural topics from the beginning.
Jan 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Sounds like the assignment is for the Reader's Digest. For Valentine's Day.
Jan 9th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Hey, chardonnay---I'm a poet and if you tell me a little about yourself, I will write you a love poem, original and right from the heart.
Jan 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Hmm. Is this saying that the better the poetry, the better the chance of landing in the sack?

Jan 10th, 2004, 11:57 AM
ira

Hi Bob,

You bet.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
............."
Jan 10th, 2004, 03:03 PM

For me, it's simply the way my husband and I look at one another across a crowded room. That says it all. No words needed.
Jan 10th, 2004, 05:51 PM

StCirq,
You've got a gem of an assignment on your hands.
In my experience, it was "the touch" or "the look" that has done it. Being a designer, I'm a truly visual person and I see the female body as a work of art more than anything. The way a women's form flows from the tip of her toes to the end of her flowing hair is beauty without words. I just returned from a trip to Europe and met up with a female friend I met in Germany last March. We hung out for a couple of days, and had a great time. During one quiet moment, she began to massage her temples. I gently pulled her hands away and took over so she could just close her eyes, sit back and relax. I went from a continuous circular motion around her temples then slowly around her ears, her lips, and her face. She smiled with enjoyment. At one point, she opened her eyes and said to me, "You have a gentle touch." I said thank you and told her to close her eyes and relax. She responded, "You're a romantic person, aren't you?" I said, "Yes, I try to be." She then said, "I can't believe this. All the women in America and I have you." My female friends have told me that I'm a romantic person but I was pleasantly surprised to hear this.
StCirq, I don't know if you can use this since I'm an American and not a European. But I like to believe no matter who you are or where you're from it's all in "the look" and "the touch."
Good luck!
Jan 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Stephen kissed me in the spring, Robert in the fall,
Colin only looked at me, and never kissed at all.
Stephen's kiss was lost in jest,
Robert's in Play, But the look that Colin gave me haunts me night and day.

This was paraphrasing a poem I had read when in high school
Jan 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the very few appropriate and useful items on this thread. I'll pass them on to my writer.

And no, it's not for Reader's Digest.
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:26 PM
JonJon

Well, StCiq if THAT is your attitude toward people here who at least tried to be thoughtful and helpful I can better understand why you haven't been the object of much love poetry.

Jan 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM

I didn't perceive any "attitude" in StCirq's last post. She was merely being factual, since many of the posts here were admittedly not quite on subject.
Jan 10th, 2004, 08:27 PM
reggie

I did. Others did.

Jan 10th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Marylin, shame on you, you have taken many posts of subject...
Jan 10th, 2004, 08:49 PM

Cigale, please don't misunderstand! I wasn't criticizing anyone for going off subject! I was just making the point that StCirq's response was not rude, but factual.
Jan 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM
cmt

I just heard this tonight, and I'm posting it because I think anyone who happens to open this thread might find it interesting.

Small noses were supposedly highly prized as a beautiful features among traditional Eskimos. A typical romantic compliment was to tell someone her cheeks were getting so fat that her little nose was almost invisible in her face.