Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Lake District mid October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-lake-district-mid-october-1658708/)

kerrylou Oct 1st, 2018 09:44 PM

The Lake District mid October

My husband and I are planning to spend 3 days in this area to do some hiking and walking. We were in the Lake District two years ago and felt we'd like to see more. We have no specific plans for the next six days and are tossing around some ideas such as the Yorkshire Dales or possibly spend sometime in the Cotswolds and Oxford. We've been to England quite a lot and visited most areas but not so much in the northern part. We've rented a car so we'll need to slowly make our way back to Heathrow on day 7. I'm 68 and my husband is 75.

janisj Oct 1st, 2018 10:20 PM

OK -- is there a question there? As I understand it -- you have 3 days in the Lakes and then 7 days free to travel back to LHR - correct?

I'd honestly let the weather determine my route at the time. The Dales are convenient from the Lakes - but I wouldn't want to be wandering around some of those roads if it was raining sideways.

LancasterLad Oct 1st, 2018 10:54 PM

Agree with janisj.

Plus driving in UK isn't really that much fun. If the weather is in your favour, on your way back South have a look at North Wales.....Llandudno, Conwy, Betws-y-Coed, that sort of area. Then back into England over Horse Shoe Pass to Llangolen, Chirk, and Shrewsbury. Continue south to the Wye Valley, Monmouth, Chepstow, and over the Severn bridge onto the M4, and up to Heathrow. Plenty along the way, with a bit of planning, and you'll completely miss the worst of England's traffic.

kerrylou Oct 2nd, 2018 09:20 AM

This is a great suggestion. My husband lived in Wales for a while and we had talked about touring the area. Ideally he'd like to have a "home base" for a few days at a time. Can you think of any place where that would be feasible?

kerrylou Oct 2nd, 2018 09:24 AM

Thank you for your reply janise. My question does sound a bit vague but basically we're looking for suggestions of areas we could visit on our way back to London. We'd also preferably like to have a place to stop for a couple of nights - possible 3 nights at a time that would allow us to take a look at the local area. Thank you,

PalenQ Oct 2nd, 2018 01:04 PM

Conwy would a perfect base for North Wales IMO and you need not have a car- I spent about a week there (actually in Llandudno just across the water) and did day trips every day - Snowdon - train up and walked down - Beaumarais - neat seaside castle - Caernaferon sp? - Prince of Wales castle and nice town - Conwy Valley - Pffestinog Railway sp? and the Great Orme - all easily done from Conwy - a perfectly walled and wamparted town on a rail line. Not far from Lake District by train.

historytraveler Oct 2nd, 2018 02:54 PM

FYI, there is no train from Conwy to Beaumaris.

PalenQ Oct 2nd, 2018 03:49 PM

Thanks for clarification - I did not specify how I went to those places but should have said easily done by train and or bus. To Beaumarais from Llandudno I took train via Conwy to Bangor - a then gritty but lively regional town - and then a bus from there to Beaumarais. What was neat about this area of Wales besides the sheer number of neat places in a compact area to me was the locals were speaking Gaellic or Welsh as their linqua franca as well as English of course.

historytraveler Oct 2nd, 2018 06:40 PM

Yes one can take a bus, but I believe it's a long haul taking several hours. Not really convenient for those with limited schedules. I'm not discouraging anyone from staying in Conwy it's a great spot just correcting some misconceptions.

janisj Oct 2nd, 2018 07:20 PM

I have no idea why the thread has been sent off into railway / bus complications in North Wales (except that Pal likes to reminisce about long ago trips). In the OP they clearly state they have already rented a car and have visited the UK before so know what the are doing.

historytraveler Oct 2nd, 2018 11:24 PM

Thought the same but I have a problem with those who post misleading information. Probably shouldn't let my petpeeves dictate my posts.

LancasterLad Oct 3rd, 2018 05:10 AM

I'd settle for either Conwy or Llandudno. I think I'd favour Llandudno, simply because it's got a lovely long promenade, has a clean Victorian feel about it, is right next to the Great Orme, and a bit more to do than at Conwy.

kerrylou Oct 3rd, 2018 06:49 AM

Thank you for all the responses. Yes, we do have a car so transportation is not an issue. However interesting to hear how easily you can get around in the area. We'll definitely be visiting the area in fact I've tentatively booked the Erskine Arms in Conwy. Now I'm having second thoughts since it appears quite close to the castle and I'm concerned about parking. Any suggestions for a hotel/guest house in Llandudno?

janisj Oct 3rd, 2018 07:44 AM

>> I've tentatively booked the Erskine Arms in Conwy. Now I'm having second thoughts since it appears quite close to the castle and I'm concerned about parking. <<

I personally would not be worried. October is not a busy time and the hotels website lists several nearby car parks with reasonable rates. And if you are staying three days apparently there is a city parking pass.

PalenQ Oct 3rd, 2018 08:46 AM

<Yes one can take a bus, but I believe it's a long haul taking several hours. Not really convenient for those with limited schedules. I'm not discouraging anyone from staying in Conwy it's a great spot just correcting some misconceptions.>

took me no more than two hours Conwy-Bangor-Beaumarais - I think you have misinformation in this case. With car it's about 20 miles only - several hours on bus?

Anyway a car in Conwy area is great - but would not need.

PalenQ Oct 3rd, 2018 12:14 PM

A main train line runs thru heart or under heart of Conwy - assume your hotel is not along its course but check.

janisj Oct 3rd, 2018 12:23 PM

>>assume your hotel is not along its course but check<<. Why assuming that? The hotel is directly across the road from the station.

PalenQ Oct 3rd, 2018 12:26 PM

Well assumed that the noise of trains and station PA announcements could cause a bit of noise? Lots of trains on that track.

janisj Oct 3rd, 2018 01:42 PM

>>Well assumed that the noise of trains and station PA announcements could cause a bit of noise?<<

That isn't what you posted -- you assumed the hotel was not on the railway line. So now are you 'assuming' something else??

The hotel is really excellent and there is no noise issue - and yes, I'm actually posting about something I do have knowledge of. ( On booking.com it has among the highest ratings of any hotel in the UK)

kerrylou Oct 3rd, 2018 04:20 PM

I think we'll stay there. Looks like a nice pub and should be fun. Thank you for all your responses.