The Lady and the Unicorn

Search

The Lady and the Unicorn

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lady and the Unicorn

I just returned on Monday night from my 5th trip to Paris. The one thing that I really wanted to see was the Cluny. I had just read The Lady and the Unicorn, as had 3 others in my group of 8 women. Of all the things we did, it turned out to be the favorite of almost everyone, particurly the ones who had read the book. If you are heading to Paris, the book is quick read for the trip over, and it really makes the famous tapestries come alive.

If you want to buy souvenir tapestries, the ones at St. Chapelle were better quality than the ones at the Cluny. We were sorry we passed them up to wait and see the ones at the Cluny; we didn't have time to go back to St. Chapelle.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:58 AM
ira

Thanx for the info, marty.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM

I loved that museum. I wish my bored children had let me spend more time there (in their defense, we had already spent the morning at Musee d'Orsay and had promised them the playground at Luxemborg Gardens).
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I loved the Cluny and the tapestries as well! For souvenirs I got a couple of the embrodered pillow covers with images from the tapestries, I love them on my couch!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:22 AM

We also loved our visit to the Cluny (now called Musee National du Moyen Age). It is wonderful both inside and out (I probably shot two rolls of film there). The room with the tapestries is extremely well done, dark so that they show up beautifully. Wouldn't hesitate to return on our next visit to Paris. Glad you and your friends enjoyed them as we did Marty.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I love the Cluny, especially the area that is built over Roman Ruins.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I loved the Cluny and there is nothing like St. Chapelle, but...we have something incredible here in the U.S., in New York. At the upper, northern tip of Manhattan is the medieval branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, called the Cloisters. It is a collection of European architectural pieces in a wonderful Romanesque building overlooking the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River. Enclosed cloister gardens, outdoor herb gardens, a treasure room etc. and.. the famous Unicorn Tapesteries.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I loved the Cluny and there is nothing like St. Chapelle, but...we have something incredible here in the U.S., in New York. At the upper, northern tip of Manhattan is the medieval branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, called the Cloisters. It is a collection of European architectural pieces in a wonderful Romanesque building overlooking the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River. Enclosed cloister gardens, outdoor herb gardens, a treasure room etc. and.. the famous Unicorn Tapesteries portraying the capture of Jesus in sequential floor to ceiling tapestries. Sometimes they even have Gregorian chants piped in, and the museum shop is incredible.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Many years ago the "Lady with the Unicorn" tapestries came to the Cloisters for a special show. I have the poster hanging in my living room. Opposite the poster over my fireplace, I have a large "Lady with the Unicorn" needlepoint that I did (also many years ago).

So, I definitely do like those tapestries and the Musee de Cluny!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:41 PM

Interesting you should mention the Cloisters in NY. Here is a paragraph from my July 19, 2000 journal in the Pyrenees.

"For our last day on the Côte Vermeille we decided to visit some more Carte Inter-Sites. Found the N116 toward Prades and drove up the D21 to Abbaye de St.-Michel-de-Cuxa (pronounced Koosha). They had just resurfaced the parking lot so we parked on the road, paid and entered. It was serene and beautiful
and I was surprised to discover much of the cloister had been shipped to New York City to become the magical "Cloisters" museum there."