Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Ivy Restaurant in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-ivy-restaurant-in-london-338229/)

brooke Jul 17th, 2003 02:23 PM

The Ivy Restaurant in London

Just wanted to post this for those who might be looking for the top or "seen-to-be-seen" restaurants in London and came across The Ivy...it's not all that's it's cracked up to be. Very expensive, food just OK and ambiance not that great. Move on to your next London restaurant selection.

jody Jul 17th, 2003 03:25 PM

Funny..we loved it for a luncheon and thought the price reasonable for what we had.

janis Jul 17th, 2003 03:33 PM

I have been to the Ivy a few times over the years and every visit (except one - weird situation, but the management solved our problem nicely) has been wonderful. It is not my absolute favorite place - but IMHO it is definitely not overrated.

terryb900 Jul 20th, 2003 04:53 AM

I agree - for the most part - with Brooke - I went to a lot of trouble to get reservations on my last trip as everyone told me it was a MUST DO. While I wasn't disappointed, I wasn't overly impressed, especially for the price. Since we were doing the pre-theater, I felt rushed and the food was good - but not great. Maybe lunch is the way to do The Ivy - any opinions about that?

flanneruk Jul 21st, 2003 03:44 AM

Anyone who claims that the Ivy is a must do (whatever that's supposed to mean) shouldn't be trusted about anything.
The Ivy provides reliable, generally comforting, food - like corned beef hash. Its team are generally professional. And it's handy for theatres.
And that's about it. Oh, and it's absolutely stellar at publicising its clientele. So if your meals are enhanced by a 5% chance of proximity to Nicole Kidman and a 100% chance of paparazzi at the door, the Ivy's your place.
But why anyone would choose a place to eat on the basis that an actor might also eat there is beyond me.

ThinGorjus Jul 21st, 2003 05:00 AM

Many people dine at Ivy because of its "clublike" atmosphere and celebrity clientele. When I go to Ivy with my aunt, she knows about half the people in the room. She spends much of her time table hopping and kissing people on the cheek. "Darling, how are you? I haven't seen you since Cuffy's party at her house in the Dordogne," she purrs to passersby. If you don't know Damien Hirst, Rebecca Moses, the Duchess of Westminster, Fleur Cowles, or Jarvis Cocker, then you may find Ivy a tad boring. Ivy is like the bar, CHEERS, from the eponymous TV show. People want to go there because "everybody knows their name."

elaine Jul 21st, 2003 11:23 AM

I chose the Ivy based on recommendations I had read concerning the service, ambiance, and especially the food.
I was not in the least disappointed in 2002 and hope to go again.

lyb Jul 21st, 2003 06:28 PM

Does anyone know whether the London Ivy is somehow related to the two Ivy restaurants in L.A?

cigalechanta Jul 21st, 2003 07:03 PM

John, but what's the food like? By tghe way, Is Voyageur stil in business?

coco Jul 22nd, 2003 10:30 AM

Oh, ThinGorjus, are you my cousin?! That is exactly my very dear Aunt Lucinda you are describing!

I am a big fan of the Ivy and go there at least once every trip to London. It is very clubby, but very friendly even if you wouldn't know a soul. I love the fact that there is something of everything on the menu, not a fancy food joint either. Not many places you can snag eggs benedict at midnight! Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but I love it.

daph Jul 22nd, 2003 03:39 PM

Didn't Fleur Cowles die a few years ago?

ThinGorjus Jul 22nd, 2003 05:01 PM

Fleur Cowles dead? I saw her at the Groucho in February, drinking a large pink gin. Unless Fleur was doing a London production of WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S, she was most definitely alive.

Sorry, I have no Aunt Lucinda. And Mimi, it is VOYAGE, not Voyageur. I have no idea if they are still around. I am now shopping a discount outlets with coupons, like the rest of you. :)

ThinGorjus Mar 16th, 2004 10:08 AM

Topping for whatsit.