Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Island of Capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-island-of-capri-731897/)

BrianV Aug 26th, 2007 06:33 AM

The Island of Capri

I will be visiting Sorrento early next year. Since there are so many things to see and do in the Naples/Sorrento area, my schedule will be very tight. If I were to catch a ferry on a weekday and arrive in Capri prior to 9:00 AM, how long should my visit last? (Assuming that I see the Blue Grotto, take the chairlift up to Monte Solaro, hike down Monte Solaro, and see the towns of Anacapri and Capri.)

HKP Aug 26th, 2007 06:52 AM

You'll certainly need the whole day, for sure, and if there's any question about weather (for the ferries' ability to dock) or crowds (should be fewer that time of year, fortunately), consider the possibility of getting stuck and factor that in.

Sometimes the problem isn't getting to or from these things, is waiting to do them (e.g., waiting for funicular up to Capri).

NeoPatrick Aug 26th, 2007 07:25 AM

I just want to let you know that there seems to be a huge number of day trippers to Capri who come back disappointed in Capri --"filled with tourists, lines, etc". But most of those who stayed overnight at least seem to love it. I wonder why that is?

Aleta Aug 26th, 2007 10:40 AM

If you are on a tight schedule, skip Capri. There was a hilarious article on the Blue Grotto experience I read once, and a friend who went said the article was a picture of her own boring and disappointing Blue Grotto trip. I enjoyed our walk away from the tourist crowded downtown, but I wouldn't give up other activities in the Amalfi Coast for a Capri day trip.

gabriele Aug 26th, 2007 12:07 PM

You mention that you will be in the area "early next year." Depending on exactly when that is, much of Capri may be closed for the season. Although the chair lift up Monte Solaro was terrific fun, we found the hike down to be disappointing -- the scenery is not good as the trail leads through fields without real views. There are much prettier hikes on the island. The two towns consist primarily of hotels, restaurants and shops, so it depends on how much time you want to spend in those types of establishments. For the Blue Grotto, count on at least 90 minutes to/from.

dina4 Aug 26th, 2007 12:11 PM

but if one really wants to do a day trip, how early / late do the ferries run???

Gina_07 Aug 26th, 2007 12:18 PM

We did a day trip in June. I believe, we got to the island at around 10 am. There was at least another ferry before the one we took. The last ferry leaves the island at 7pm or something like that. I think we took the one at 6:30 pm. This was quite enough time for a day trip with two kids.

Although Capri is very crowded, I would still encourage a day trip. It's a very beautiful island and a short trip from Sorrento. Do the boat trip around the island. Then I would suggest to head to Anacapri, since most people head to Capri first. Do the chairlift to Monte Solaro, visit Villa San Michele and whatever else you want, then head to Capri. It may be a little less crowded by then.