The Holy Shroud of Turin - a fake?

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Ben

The Holy Shroud of Turin - a fake?

Is it true that carbon dating found that there is no way this burial shroud was used for Jesus Christ?

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 09:32 AM
John

Ben, that is what they said.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 09:32 AM
John

Ben, that is what they said.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 09:37 AM
Tony Hughes

It's not Christs' shroud but it's someones. The carbon dating identified it as a fake from the Middle Ages so, in a way, its almost as interesting.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Bob Brown

Without getting into the dating game where the shroud is concerned, the research reports I read still could not shed any conclusive light on how the image was formed on the cloth.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 10:48 AM
Ben

Bob, <BR>Are you saying that they are not sure what the true date of the cloth is? Do we at least know that there's no way it was around during the time of Christ?

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 01:35 PM
John

Ben, I did a little searching and came up with the following for information on the shroud: http://www.shroud2000.com/index2.html <BR> <BR>Evidently, the jury is still out concerning the authenticity of the shroud even though the carbon dating testing did not support the age of the shroud. <BR> <BR>There were many other tests performed and they do not support the age of only 700 to 800 yrs. <BR> <BR>I gather that the validity of the C-14 tests are now being seriously questioned due to a variety of reasons. After the year 2000 more testing will be done. <BR> <BR>Pretty interesting.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Jeff

Ben, I saw the shroud on display years ago and thought it looked very authentic. I saw a TV documentary on the shroud and they said that the area tested was from a piece of cloth that was sewn on for the purpose of displaying it on a pole. I don't know if it's real or not, but it certainly raises some interesting questions. I've also been told that the Ark of the Covenant has been found. I'm a Christian and I believe that anything's possible.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 02:47 PM
Tony Hughes

Jeff, according to who/what you belive, the Ark of the Covenant lies about 2 miles from where I work in a place called Rosslyn Chapel in a town called Roslin, Midlothian. Either that or it's Christ's remains or the Holy Grail, brought back by the Knights Templars during the Middle Ages. There is an underground chamber as yet unopened said to contain one of these things. Midlothian's biggest tourist attraction. Come see it.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 02:56 PM
Maira

Factual evidence is claimed by both schools of thought. I read about how a botanist studied and concentrated on the polen and on the minuscule traces of herbs or plants remaining on the shroud. There were some found that are indigenous to the region where Jesus died. I also read about the C-14 studies. I agree with Tony; it is an interesting piece, regardless. Is it still been exhibited at the Cathedral in Turin? Is it still only once a year?

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 03:00 PM
Maira

Tony, is that where Monty Python is from? Interesting. <BR> <BR>I'm only kidding...

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 05:14 AM
ilisa

Ethiopian Jews also believe that they are in possession of the Ark of the Covenant.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 05:53 AM
amber

I saw a show on tv (a&e or tlc) and the experts claimed that the carbon dating that was done in the '80's did not have the technology to recognize a bacterial strand, which will alter the dating. So, they are currently trying to remove that bacteria, in order to get a precise date on it. I'm not sure if the show will be on again, but maybe you could check out either a&e's or tlc's webpage for more information. <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Adria

I was watching the Discovery Channel last night and there was a special on about the Shroud. <BR> <BR>They said that there had now been discovered some kind of bio-polymer (may have remembered term inaccurately) that was coating the shroud that had thrown off the carbon dating results. <BR> <BR>Research was being done to find a way to get past the coating and get an accurate carbon dating. <BR> <BR>Therefore, the carbon dating could not prove nor disprove the authenticity of the shroud. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Tony Hughes

Monty who Maira ? <BR> <BR>I must be too young. <BR> <BR>I am also only kidding.