Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The hardest part of packing... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-hardest-part-of-packing-629889/)

lennyba Jul 10th, 2006 12:57 PM

The hardest part of packing...

Is seeing the dog's expression when the suitcases come out. :( So tragic!

Tries2PakLite Jul 10th, 2006 12:58 PM

So true! It's downright painful to see.
((c))

AnnaLiffey Jul 10th, 2006 01:03 PM

Oh my gosh! You're so right. I had thought it was just my dogs. They both stick to me like glue when the suitcase comes out.

janisj Jul 10th, 2006 01:05 PM

My Scottie is long gone but I could never pack when he was in the house. I used to take him to visit my parents - his grandparents :) - before I dared pull out the luggage.

Now I have a crazy cat who curls up and goes to sleep in my roll aboard the minute I pull it out - need to work out a strategy for him.

lyb Jul 10th, 2006 01:08 PM

yes, my cat plops himself down in the suitcase and makes me feel so guilty that he'll be left alone (I do have someone come and feed him and spend some time with him, but...) and then I feel even more guilty when I have to push him out of the suitcase so I can continue packing or so that his hair won't be all over my clothes.

FauxSteMarie Jul 10th, 2006 01:10 PM

Dogs often can understand what you say too.

My ex-husband's cousins had this darling miniature daschund. They all used code words rather than mention taking the dog "for a walk". If the dog heard the words "for a walk", there he would be with his leash in his mouth going crazy until you took him out. Cute!

AnnaLiffey Jul 10th, 2006 01:13 PM

I've used code words as well, but my current dog has learned the code word for go out and she's just as excited to hear that. heheeee.

FauxSteMarie Jul 10th, 2006 01:18 PM

The cousins used to use the words "Chinese jump rope" for "a walk" to avoid the dog going crazy!

lennyba Jul 10th, 2006 01:24 PM

Dogs often can understand what you say too.

I wish he understood a little more! I keep telling Cosmo that it's just me leaving on this trip and he'll get ten uninterrupted days of "Dad" time, but he's not buying it. :)

Now, "Frosty Paws" - THAT he knows the meaning of!

Carrybean Jul 10th, 2006 01:38 PM

I gave up & don't throw anything in the suitcase or even drag it out until I've already taken the dog to the Vet where she loves to go. The one who got the saddest died a few months ago so it's a little easier leaving now.

equitraveler Jul 10th, 2006 01:46 PM

Stopping my daughter from taking everything she owns! I have set a rule that she can only take as many toys, books, doll accessories, etc as she can fit in HER carry on. Her doll, Anna, rides on her hip, and even has her own passport complete with photo and stamps from lots of countries. The possport control officers always play along :)

FauxSteMarie Jul 10th, 2006 01:53 PM

If dogs could talk. . . .

Scarlett Jul 10th, 2006 01:54 PM

LOL, yes, that look on the dogs face does make it harder to pack..then to leave :(
And no amount of telling him that you really will come back, makes him look any less pitiful ((&))

seasweetie Jul 10th, 2006 01:57 PM

My dog has eaten a suitcase I pulled out to pack before each of my last two trips!

Fodorite018 Jul 10th, 2006 03:17 PM

OMG, yes...our pup looks SO pathetic when the suitcases come out! She has mellowed a bit...she used to somehow find only the important papers and shred those when she saw suitcases. Now we just get the guilt trip:D BTW, we have to spell out f-o-o-d and w-a-l-k or she goes nuts.

LoveItaly Jul 10th, 2006 04:21 PM

Sweet thread. Our little pup would practically jump up and down with joy and would almost start to fly, lol, with the vibrant waving of her tail when we brought out the duffel bag to go spend some time on our boat as we almost always took her with us.
She loved being on our boat and being taken for walks along the levees in the CA Delta. Great memories.

Since she always stayed with a family member when we took trips she was content as she got spoiled rotten.

ma23peas Jul 10th, 2006 04:32 PM

You're reading my mind....we have a 13 year old lab mix, an 8 month old lab mix and they are both attached to me at the hip, ankle, elbow, knee, name it.

I think I'm too tenderhearted to travel...we have a 10 day trip to England in September and I am more upset over leaving the dogs that I just don't think I'll enjoy myself. We are buying an RV this year so we can take the dogs with us wherever we go...that's how bad it is! I have to slap myself and get over it...I'm so sad, it's sad.

Tara

murphy89 Jul 10th, 2006 04:36 PM

Oh so true! My cat does the same thing - starts to cry and sits in my bag

Poor little one.

Murphy :'(

europa Jul 10th, 2006 04:54 PM

My little yorkie (god rest his soul) use to hang his head and walk in the other room. He wouldnt play with any toys while I was gone.

FauxSteMarie Jul 10th, 2006 05:33 PM

LOL re the person who mentioned "Frosty Paws".

And I don't even have a dog.