Notices

The Hague- train stations

Feb 3rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

The Hague- train stations

We are taking a day trip to The Hague from Brussels. I have the train tickets and it looks like we go from Brussels to Rotterdam and switch trains to the Den Haag HS train station. I was thinking this was the main station which I have since found that it isn't. My question is, is this a safe station to come into? Someone I spoke to in Bruges Belgium said that it isn't. And is it really far from the city center? We will be going to Delft the same day as we go to The Hague. Should we go to Delft first or visit The Hague first?
Feb 3rd, 2015, 03:25 PM

If you are heading to usual tourist destinations, Den Haag Centraal is closer. Just look at the google map. Den Haag HS is further, but not bad. For example, Den Haag Centraal to Mauritshuis is about 1/2 mile while it is about 1 mile from Den Haag HS. If you are an agile city walker, that is about 10 minutes difference. I don't know about the safety statistics. The Den Haag Centraal is definitely a modern station while the Den Haag HS is an old station.

Whether Delft first or not depends on what you are doing. We wanted to visit the Mauritshuis at the opening time to see "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" before the crowds, so we went to Den Haag first for that reason. We beelined to the floor with the picture while others who entered at the same time were making a slow way upstairs. We were in the room with the picture all by ourselves for several minutes.

Den Haag to Delft connects better using the tram #1. It stops closer to the center of usual interests in each city.
Feb 3rd, 2015, 08:27 PM

not safe presumably meaning: lots of people looking like muslims.

the area around Hollands Spoor is ethnically diverse.

tram #1 does take a long, long time

If you look carefully at Rotterdam CS, you'll see trains go to Rotterdam CS as well: all all stations trains do, and some of the intercities that have The Hague as their final stop.

All station trains also always call at Delft, but the IC trains to The Hague CS don't, so choose wisely.

9292.nl for all public transport queries.

Search this Thread