Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Hague International Court - anyone visited?

May 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Amsterdam in late June, and have been looking at visiting The Hague. The Carnegie Foundation has tours of the Peace Palace. I notice that International Court has one hour information sessions as well.

http://www.icj-cij.org/information/i...p1=7&p2=3&p3=2

I am not a lawyer, and just thought it would be an interesting visit. Has anyone gone? Is it very formal and technical? There are no age restrictions that I see, so does anyone see a problem taking a kid in Grade 4 and 6? Clearly I wouldn't be asking if I thought they weren't interested or able to follow a one hour tour.

I need to submit a request six weeks in advance, so I only have about a week to decide.

Anyone with any first hand experience?

Thank you.
May 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Bumping this up in hopes someone can help.
May 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM

TTT
May 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I have stayed in the Hague many times over the years and in fact,just came back a few days ago. The Hague is really a fascinating city and has much to offer in regards to different and unusual activities.
I have toured just the Peace Palace and definitely think that you would enjoy the World Court tour if you can get in as Charles Taylor from Africa is supposedly on trial right now.The actual Peace Palace is done in beautifully carved woods and needlepoint chairs of the various countries,etc.

I have sat in several times at the Yugoslavian war crime trials held over at the World Forum area which you can just walk in without an appointment.They will check out your credentials and screen you before you go to various courtrooms but it is fascinating to watch the international tribunal at work.

I love the Hague and hope that your family will take advantage of all of the fun things to see and do while you are there-the beach ,the museums,cafes,trip to Delft,etc. Have fun!
May 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, dutyfree. I knew about the Peace Palace, but if appropriate, I was more interested in the information session available at the International Court. The request seemed very formal, with a 6 week lead needed, and also a place to put in specific questions that the tour guide would address for you.

I think I will go ahead and sign up. I will write a small synopsis on here afterwards, as there doesn't seem to be much info around.

Do you have a favorite beach recommendation for The Hague area? I will plan a lighter activity for before or after the tour.

Thanks to Dukey too for giving me the bump!
May 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Favorite fish kiosk-next to the Benninhof(sp?)-3.60 euros for the BEST fish with your choice of sauces. Mine is the garlic!

Favorite place on the beach-any of them that are actually on the sand of the beach. Just walk along and look at the menus. "I cannot remember the name but the restaurant on the actual beach that is currently in front of the big sand medieval castle for the International Sand Castle festival is great as it has coffee tables with fire pits and sofas that you can sit and enjoy the sunset along with some great wine and food. Alot of the pilots I fly with like the Two Piano restaurant place that is up on the boardwalk area. The Turkish restaurant Topkari(sp?)up on the street front is also nice for a fun evening of atmosphere and good food.
May 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM

I have a DVD of a documentary I saw earlier this year at Sundance Film Festival about the international criminal court at the Hague. It was very good. I bought it as part of a fundraiser the filmaker had just outside the theater. I would be happy to lend it to you. If you just send your mail address to my email address lpetersen3 AT sbcglobal DOT net I'll get it out to you.
May 7th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Poutine, we did this just last October and I would highly recommend it. Click on my name for "Touring the Hague's Peace Palace."
May 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM

And I apologize Poutine, as I belatedly realize you're asking only about the ICJ sessions so my reply above is less than helpful!