Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Guggenheim, in Bilbao, heard of it??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:17 PM
illana

Help! Thanks to all who responded to my other request! Now I just need to know one more thing...do I have to reserve a ticket for the Guggenheim?? We'll be there October 7, any sites or suggestions?? Also, any places to grub at or must see while there for the day?? Thanks!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:28 PM
SharonM

Guggenheim in "Bilbao" or "Lisboa"? <BR>...been to Guggenheim in Lisboa, but not Bilboa... <BR>So I'm honestly not sure about your question, but you should go! The great museums shouldn't be missed if you have the time!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:35 PM
illana

The Guggenheim is definately in Bilbao, Spain. I just want to know if I have to reserve for tickets??

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 08:47 PM
SharonM

hmmm...not sure, ilana. <BR>maybe someone else will know...

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:25 AM
amg

Illana, <BR> <BR>There is a web site for the museum. I do not remember the address, but try searching on Guggenheim.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:32 AM
haritz

I live in Bilbao, and the Guggenheim Museum was opened some three years ago. The building itself, by the American architect Frank Gehry, is beautiful, and you should not have any problem to take the tickets, although it is possible to adquire them at banks. In Bilbao there are two more museums that I love specially: near the Guggenheim you have the Fine Arts' Museum -now there is a Rodin's sculpture exhibition, but it will finish in September- and the Basque Museum in the Old City. Anything else you'd like to know about the city or its surroundings, the BAsque Country, do not hesitate to ask.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 06:49 AM
Patrick

Visited the Guggenheim in Bilbao about two weeks ago. It is a fantastic place. Even if it weren´t a museum it would be worth visiting, as it is truly one of the great buildings of the twentieth century. We followed the hotel's advice and arrived at opening time to avoid the crowds. No problem getting tickets at the door. Our only disappointment was that two major exhibits were changing, so two of the larger galleries were closed, but we still spent a wonderful three hours there. And you will love the giant floral puppy in front of the museum. Or is the back, it's so hard to tell, the building is remarkable from every direction.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 08:02 AM
cova

Hi Illana. <BR>Right now you cannot book tickets for the Guggenheim Bilbao in the web, although you can buy them the previous day at the museum or in some ATMs from the BBK (a basque credit union) called Telekas (but I find them complicate). Unless you are coming on the 12th of October weekend, you shouldn´t have a lot of problems to get into the museum (follow Patrick´s advice and arrive early). For me the best part is Puppy, he is gorgeous. <BR>The ticket allows to enter so many times as you want along the day, so if you get a bit overwhelmed, you can walk out and come back later. <BR>Walk along the river until the old town. Walk into the Plaza Nueva, and if the sun is shining, sit in one of the cafes, and enjoy a few pintxos and a glass of Rioja. Get to the gothic cathedral, just reopen after the restoration. <BR> <BR>Have a great time, Cova <BR> <BR>http://www.guggenheim.org <BR>http://www.bilbao.net <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 10:08 AM
John

I think the original confusion about the "Guggenheim" in Lisbon was generated by the fact that the big museum in Lisbon is the Gulbenkian. Starts with Gu, too. <BR> <BR>I personally thought the Bilbao museum was visually stunning from the outside, less inspiring on the inside, and frankly I was distressed at the poor level of finish we saw in several areas. Now that we in Seattle also have a Gehry blobazoid in the middle of town (not yet visited) I guess we can compare. The Bilbao's site is spectacular, and the gold color creates a major visual impact on what is otherwise a rather drab cityscape IMO. Still, it's a courageous project for Bilbao, and rightly a source of pride for the region. The floral big dog in front of the museum is way cool.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 12:14 PM
SharonM

Whoops! John, you are absolutely right! It WAS the Gulbenkian Foundation I went to! (doh!) Sorry folks.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 01:39 PM
Delia Riso

Can anyone suggest the best way to visit the Guggenheim in Bilboa while staying in Lisbon? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 08:45 AM
Patrick

Not to be sarcastic, but the answer would be easier if you asked how to visit the Guggenheim in New York while staying in Los Angeles. That would be a lot easier. But if you are committed to it, allow a couple of days, and fly each way, probably with a stop over each way.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 10:55 AM
HARITZ

It shouldn't be so difficult to go from Lisbon to Bilbao. It is about 800 or 900 km., and mostly you'll have to change train, bus or whatever you take in Madrid. Anyway, the Spanish air-line Iberia, www.iberia.com, offers sometimes very cheaps flights from Lisbon to Bilbao. By train it is a good deal as well, www.renfe.es, some of my relatives will go soon to Lisbon, and I think they'll have a night-train, so that they can travel comfortably.