Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Great Debate (AM/Euro expert advice needed) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-great-debate-am-euro-expert-advice-needed-248898/)

Susan Aug 12th, 2002 02:09 PM

The Great Debate (AM/Euro expert advice needed)

My husband and I are hotly debating our next trip. He wants to go to Branson, MO while I would enjoy Venice.<BR>Which would you choose? I know we can't go wrong with either but I feel Venice would be more romantic while he is looking for Branson fun.<BR>Help! Am I being picky or is Branson worth it?

surely Aug 12th, 2002 02:14 PM

This is a troll, right?

Jen Aug 12th, 2002 02:15 PM

No need to choose: Send HIM to Branson, and you go to Venice by yourself and find some romance there.

xxx Aug 12th, 2002 02:21 PM

Susan - if you are serious and not a Troll, I definitely agree w/ Jen.

Susan Aug 12th, 2002 02:42 PM

What is a troll?<BR>I really want Venice but he has heard Branson is a load of fun.

Bob C Aug 12th, 2002 02:48 PM

Simple, Venice now and Branson when you are 80.

Susan Aug 12th, 2002 02:49 PM

Ah heck forget I even asked the question. He is pipin hot at me know. He said artsy fartsy people wouldn't understand Branson anyway.

YouGottaBeKidding! Aug 12th, 2002 03:01 PM

I definitely don't understand Branson, but I think that anyone who could have trouble making a choice between Branson and Venice most definitely belongs in Branson.

ToughChoice Aug 12th, 2002 03:05 PM

I think you should ask Rick Steves.

Bob Brown Aug 12th, 2002 03:13 PM

I vote for Venice, particularly in October or late September when the temperature is less. I remember my first trip there. It was intriguing to the nth degree. Fun, and interesting.<BR>Branson?? Someone enlighten me.<BR>What the heck is in Branson that is worth seeing? Or doing? The Red Neck Two-step or the Tobacco Spit Reel?<BR><BR>

Uncle Sam Aug 12th, 2002 03:29 PM

Wrong place to ask your question as most of the folks here are Euro snobs and will look down upon a place where normal folks with normal values go for some fun.<BR><BR>I've never been to Branson, but I have been to Venice...I'd suggest Branson. At least it doesn't stink in the Summer!<BR><BR>US

SayWhatUncle? Aug 12th, 2002 03:38 PM

Are you suggesting, Uncle Sam, that people with "normal values" don't go to Europe? What kind of values do we have, then? And when you go to Europe (you DO go, right?), do you leave your "normal values" behind?<BR><BR>What a crock of ***T.

nancy Aug 12th, 2002 05:06 PM

Just to add my 2 cents - my cousin, who has traveled a lot around the world, recently went to Branson and loved it! Personally it doesn't appeal to me and she was surprised how much she enjoyed herself - went to lots of shows. But, I think it's a European environment versus a U.S. environment. Maybe your husband is not comfortable going abroad. I have friends who are not confortable with foreign environments and I'm not sure why. Too different, I guess, and not knowing the language.

Mina Aug 12th, 2002 05:24 PM

I'll admit, I laughed around loud when I read "Branson vs. Venice." Pretty funny.<BR><BR>But it's certainly possible for two people to have differing opinions on what vacation is. As the previous poster mentioned, some people don't like flying, or going beyond a certain comfort zone. My co-worker wanted to go to Greece. Her husband doesn't like to fly and would rather go beach camping somewhere outside of Los Angeles. Different strokes for different folks!<BR><BR>That being said, when I was last in Missouri, I had to drive to Lake of the Ozarks. I saw tons of billboards advertising Branson. They scared me into never going there until I was at least 70. However, I met a lot of people who had a blast in Branson...but they were...uh...70.

Uncle Sam Aug 12th, 2002 05:35 PM

Author: SayWhatUncle? ([email protected])<BR>Date: 08/12/2002, 07:38 pm<BR>Message: Are you suggesting, Uncle Sam, that people with "normal values" don't go to Europe? What kind of values do we have, then? And when you go to Europe (you DO go, right?), do you leave your "normal values" behind?<BR><BR>Sorry, shouldn't have laid out the bait;~))<BR><BR>US<BR><BR>

SayWhatUncle? Aug 12th, 2002 05:43 PM

What a lame response, Uncle. I would have expected better from you. Treat us to a diatribe on abortion or something, if you can't uphold your own statements on *normal* values.<BR><BR>Pathetic....

Uncle Sam Aug 12th, 2002 05:47 PM

Yo Dude,<BR><BR>Get a grip!<BR><BR>US

nolene Aug 12th, 2002 05:59 PM

Branson or Venice. Wow. I live 30 minutes north or Branson and stay away from the place whenever possible. Summer is not the time of the year to visit Branson. Hot Hot Hot and oh the traffic. I bet its worse than Venice. Takes almost an hour to get through the main part of town. Branson is so commerciallised. There are numerous very large outlet malls, lots of cheap theatres, a great water park (for south missouri) a fun park (that I have yet to go to) 'millions' of motels and lots of 'older folk'. I agree with others - wait until you can't travel overseas then go there.

Aussie Aug 12th, 2002 07:30 PM

Where or what is Branson?

Marilyn Aug 12th, 2002 10:12 PM

To the Aussie: Branson is the country music capital of the US, an artificially created destination in southern Missouri.<BR><BR>To Susan: If this post is for real, how on earth has your marriage survived? I simply can't imagine. I agree with the separate vacation scenario, and if you want some true inspiration, see an Italian film called "Pane y Tulipane" ("Bread and Tulips").