Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Globe or the RSC (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-globe-or-the-rsc-152307/)

Leah Feb 1st, 2002 03:56 AM

The Globe or the RSC

I am taking my children to London this summer and want to take them to see Shakespear performance. To all you theater buffs, which acting company does a better job? The Royal or the Globe?

Julie Feb 1st, 2002 04:08 AM

Leah,<BR><BR>The Royal Shakespeare Company is considered the gold standard for Shakespearean actors, and many of the theatre's leading actors have risen through its ranks.<BR><BR>Julie

kate Feb 1st, 2002 04:24 AM

The Globe would be fun for the experience and history of the theater.<BR>The Royal is wonderful,as Julie says,all those fantastick actors who have been associated with the Royal Shakespeare!

elaine Feb 1st, 2002 04:35 AM

If you go to the Globe:<BR>Best seats are said to be in the first balcony. Do not take ground level seats<BR>where you have to stand in the open, unless you are a true purist and want to<BR>be a "groundling". If it rains, the show goes on, and you will be undercover in<BR>the first balcony, but not in the ground level.<BR>

AnnaC Feb 1st, 2002 04:40 AM

While you will get superb acting at the RSC, I would take your children to the Globe. The whole experience will be more fun, and more likely to "turn them on" to Shakespeare.<BR><BR>It might also be worth looking to see what's on at the open air theatre in Regent's Park

AnnaC Feb 1st, 2002 04:57 AM

While you will get superb acting at the RSC, I would take your children to the Globe. The whole experience will be more fun, and more likely to "turn them on" to Shakespeare.<BR><BR>It might also be worth looking to see what's on at the open air theatre in Regent's Park

Erlsegaard Feb 1st, 2002 06:25 AM

I suppose I don't qualify as a theater expert, but the acting at the Globe production I saw certainly did not seem amateurish in the least, plus you are quite intimate with the stage wherever you are sitting in the building. The Globe actors are trying to interpret their perception of what the "original" Shakesperean experience most have been like, so they are a little less deadly serious and reverent both about their technique and the material during the performances, but by no means does this imply that the actors are in any way disrespectful or unqualified to perform these plays.

Joanne Feb 1st, 2002 06:27 AM

Last summer, I took the kids on the tour of the Globe, which was excellent, but took them to see the RSC in Stratford because we didn't care for any of the Globe offerings. As I recall, the Globe tour guide mentioned that the actors at the Globe are hired just for each summer, with lots of turnover from one year to the next, whereas the RSC are full-time professionals.<BR><BR>Last summer's performance of Macbeth at the Globe was a sparse, moderized version that the critics panned, and not only because it wasn't what Shakespeare had in mind! Certainly it wouldn't have turned teens on to Shakespeare, so do read reviews before choosing a show. <BR><BR>The RSC's updated Hamlet that we saw in Stratford was excellent and made great use of that space (which is totally different from the Globe's) and my teens thought it compared well to Shakespeare that they have seen in other venues (regular theaters, outdoors in the park, and at a recreated Elizabethan theater at the Folger in Washington DC).<BR><BR>The RSC web site is painful to negotiate -- you should figure out where they'll be playing during your stay. http://www.rsc.org.uk/<BR><BR>All in all, I'd say that you'll have a more comfortable and professional experience with the RSC, but a more authentic Elizabethan one at the Globe. But remember, the authentic Elizabethan experience was often uncomfortable (they go on rain or shine).

tom Feb 2nd, 2002 03:19 PM

Both companies are great. Despite what Joanne says, actors are "full time professionals" at both. Those working at the Globe are not "amatuer". Their run at the Globe is only for the summer (since it is open air - just like Regent's Park) but most act in other shows in the West End or Fringe theatre year round.<BR><BR>Which company to attend entirely depends on the plays on offer. The RSC is great. Last Fall's Hamlet with David West was incomparable. But this year's schedule may not meet your tastes. Pick the play - not the venue.

Brianna Feb 3rd, 2002 06:36 AM

I saw a RSC play last Dec. at The Swan in Stratford on a Fri. night. That is the smaller theater there, right next door to the other one. It was unbelieveable! My aunt bought tickets that week for 20 pounds each (I think) and we were about as close as you can get! Plus the actors are running all around the stage (it is set up like The Globe in style) and behind you. It was GREAT! Actors, experience, etc.! I don't think I would suggest kids, if they are young. There was an obnoxious American family close by that hampered my enjoyment a bit, as the kids were loud and rude, and even walking on the seats before the show, and the parents let them. Sorry, I am ranting! Anywya, an overall fabulous experience, and a lovely gift shop!