Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Girl in the Pearl Earring in Luxembourg/

Dec 21st, 2003, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

I just saw this movie and Scarlett J. is so good as the lead character, she looks so much like the painting model too.

I was thinking how much the movie captures the feeling of the Netherlands in the moodiness and the lighting inside of buildings. It reminded me of when I visited Rembrandt's house.

It was filmed in Luxembourg though.
Dec 21st, 2003, 03:22 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
Dec 21st, 2003, 03:50 AM

It's a visual masterpiece. As a photographer, I just sat there enrapt from the first magnificent frame to the last.
Dec 21st, 2003, 06:28 AM

Oh this is good to hear! I wanted to see this film from the first mention of it. I too think she looks just like the real girl in the pearl earring~
Dec 21st, 2003, 08:00 AM

Read the book, which I enjoyed a lot - will see the movie.

Speaking of a movie shot in different location than the book. Saw 'Cold Mountain' and thought the mountains looked a bit rugged for the Smokies - the film was shot in Romania.
Dec 21st, 2003, 08:18 AM

Was all of it shot in Luxembourg? No scenes of Delft at all? It would be a shame to have nothing of Delft in the movie.
I finished "The Lady and the Unicorn" a few weeks ago and wouldn't be surprised to see this one made into a movie as well. Another blind character in this one--is that a literary device for Ms. Chevalier or is there a more personal reason she features a blind character in her novels? (Not complaining, just curious)
Still waiting for Lost in Translation to make its Brussels debut--that is at the top of my must-see movie list.
Dec 21st, 2003, 10:54 AM

Scarlett Johanssen as the lead is about as perfect a bit of casting as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing it, no matter where it was shot.
Dec 21st, 2003, 11:36 AM

Earlier this year there aired a beautiful made-for-TV (US) Hallmark Hall of Fame film called Brush with Fate. Starring Glenn Close and Ellen Burstyn, it is the true-to-form adaptation of Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland. As readers of the book know, the story follows the ownership of a (fictitous) Vermeer painting from the time of the artist through successive generations to present-day -- all the while relating what the art meant to them and relating what life was like in different eras.

Almost all of the movie was filmed in the Netherlands (brief present-day scenes in Massachusetts) and is really stunning. The acting is, IMO, superb all around, with the bulk of the roles played by "unknowns."

Hallmark has a justified reputation for making outstanding, intelligent, thought-provoking TV films and this is certainly one of their best. (In Hallmark's 50+ year history they spent more on this than any other - and it shows.)

I would have liked to have seen this on a big screen. The worst thing to be said about it is the dumb name they gave it.

It's available on DVD/VHS.
Dec 21st, 2003, 11:49 AM

Thanks KS for the recommendation. Sounds like just my cup of tea!
Dec 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM

So, Marknyc, How did you like Cold Mountain?
I saw it a few months ago, we got to see a screening..no soundtrack yet, some rough cutting, so I am interested in hearing how people like it as a finished product?
I read the book too..
Tell me what you thought
Dec 21st, 2003, 01:01 PM

Scarlett -
I enjoyed the film - the only thing I had issue with was she serves him a glass of cider and this initiates this great love between them? It had hints of Ivory-Merchant - you know, people furtively looking at each other from across the room. Renee Zegwiller's (?) hill-billy character got a bit tiring. KIdman was very on the surface with her emotions but she always struck me as NIcole Kidman. I like that they didn't do the big Southern drawl shitck.

I didn't read 'Cold Mountain'.

Have you seen 'My Architect' (playing at Film Forum) or 'Die Mommie Die' (34th Lowes)?
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:03 AM

I haven't seen the movie 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' yet (it hasn't made it to Delft!) but I can assure you that some of it was shot in Delft. There were canals closed off and the Market Square was rid of cars, advertisements and even bicycles for a few days!
Unfortunately, the real Delft does not appear in the movie very much, as most of the film was indeed shot in Luxembourg.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
Maira

I read the movie "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" was filmed mostly in Amsterdam (Noord-Holland and Delft), with some scenes filmed in Belgium (Damme), and Luxembourg.

Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:29 AM

interestingly enough, when i was in london last friday, the director of "the girl with the pearl earring," peter webber, was doing a meet/greet with people at the notting hill gate cinema, for the movie's opening there. i had just spur of the moment decided to see the movie at that cinema that very evening and i had no idea he was going to be there. the movie is very beautifully done and everyone seemed to enjoy it!
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:49 PM

I agree with HowardR. the film was a masterpiece in art all in itself. Kudos all those that produced this film.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM

It's gonna be great for the Netherlands' tourist industry - what a great flick, full of lovely ambiguities (and visual jokes).

The colors and light are just so rich! A must-see.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM
tmh

The author said she has no more plans to sell her movie rights. She spoke last week at the Naperville (IL) library as a guest speaker. She said she doesn't want to give up the rights again. She also said she sold it for a song as it was not a hit back then. She retained the rights to select the producing company and choice a British company because they would know how to exercise restraint. (Her words not mine)

As to the blind character, she had to figure out a way for Vermeers other paintings to be described in detail and the only way she coudl do it was for the 'painter' tilest father to be blind. It was the best way for the reader to hear about the paintings.

She said she has been entranced with that painting since she was 19 and the outline for the story came in about 2 days and she wrote it in 8 months.

The library reports a huge uptick in books on Vermeer and that peple have expressed a desire to see more. As some of you may know, 9 are in NYC (5 at the Met and 4 at the Frick). Girl with a Pearl Earring is in The Hague. A friend of mine is going on a Vermeer tour to see the ones in London, Pairs, The Hague and Amsterdam. Sounds like a great trip.
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the fascinating info, tmh. There was an interview with Chevalier in today's SF Chronicle and she said that she loved the movie, so it's interesting to hear a little more about it.

I read an earlier book of hers, Falling Angels, and thought it was good, but not quite as polished in plot construction and style.
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:15 PM

In her new book, The Lady and the Unicorn, about the Unicorn tapestries, she also includes a blind character, probably for the same reasons. Twice is ok as a literary device, I hope she doesn't resort to it for a third time in the next book.
Jan 27th, 2004, 03:45 AM

There's an interesting article in today's Guardian online about Vermeer, the Hague and Delft : http://www.guardian.co.uk/Travel/cou...131778,00.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO